• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pressing App Button

You all know when you press the app icon on Ice Cream Sandwich, the phone shows all the running apps that are running in the background. My question is when you press the app button and the phone brings up the apps that are running, when you swipe them away, does it kill that app or is it still running?

You all know when you press the app icon on Ice Cream Sandwich, the phone shows all the running apps that are running in the background. My question is when you press the app button and the phone brings up the apps that are running, when you swipe them away, does it kill that app or is it still running?

I read in one review that the app is still running, it's just removed from the list. I think it was maybe the Slashgear review.

Upvote 0

According to P3, some do and some don't.

https://twitter.com/#!/P3Droid/status/140172657344774144

Upvote 0
Is there an app on the Nexus that kills all the open apps like the SG2 had.

Is it important to kill these apps or is something that ICS takes care of before running out of memory.

Also on the "Power Widget" what does the 4th ICON do with the two arrows formed into a circle?

It would be nice to find a manual for the Nexus. I come from SG2 but there is a lot of new stuff on the Nexus I would like to find out about.

Loving the phone so far!

Upvote 0
Is there an app on the Nexus that kills all the open apps like the SG2 had.

Is it important to kill these apps or is something that ICS takes care of before running out of memory.

Also on the "Power Widget" what does the 4th ICON do with the two arrows formed into a circle?

It would be nice to find a manual for the Nexus. I come from SG2 but there is a lot of new stuff on the Nexus I would like to find out about.

Loving the phone so far!

So you're saying you do have a Nexus? If so, how are you liking it? How is texting on the new keyboard? As far as your question about killing apps, yes it is important because those apps that are running that you haven't killed yet is eating your battery.

Upvote 0
As far as your question about killing apps, yes it is important because those apps that are running that you haven't killed yet is eating your battery.

This is wrong.

There are a thousand different pages debunking this myth.

Background tasks are typically sleeping, which means they consume little to no battery. Only badly programmed apps will consume battery life when sleeping.

SOME specific apps in the background can hurt your battery life. It is nowhere near true, though, that background apps hurt battery life in general.

Upvote 0
So you're saying you do have a Nexus? If so, how are you liking it? How is texting on the new keyboard? As far as your question about killing apps, yes it is important because those apps that are running that you haven't killed yet is eating your battery.

Not exactly an expert here, but I think you are wrong. That is what most people think: Kill all apps that are running in the background so they don't kill your battery, but I think the truth is a background app is not killing your battery at all, unless of course the app is requiring the processor to do something. Most background apps are just sitting there in memory, not using processor cycles at all. Them sitting in memory is not killing your battery.

Killing the app is just going to make Android open it up again, which uses the processor, which kills the battery. From what I have read, you should just let Android manage background tasks. If it runs low on memory, it will automatically kill the tasks.

Upvote 0
This is wrong.

There are a thousand different pages debunking this myth.

Background tasks are typically sleeping, which means they consume little to no battery. Only badly programmed apps will consume battery life when sleeping.

SOME specific apps in the background can hurt your battery life. It is nowhere near true, though, that background apps hurt battery life in general.

Not a Droid user yet so I am learning as well. Goofy, but good example: So you're saying if I have the web-browser or Angry Birds running in the background of my phone and I am not using neither of the apps at the time, it is not going to decrease battery life at all? I have a hard time believing that, but like I said, I'm not familiar with Android.

Upvote 0

Yes, it arrived yesterday. It is an factory unlocked, unbranded, international i9250.

I like it a lot. Coming from a SG2, ICS is somewhat familiar but there is lots of new stuff to play with. The screen is killer good. I found the SG2 screen to be rather over saturated and under pixeled. The HD screen on the Nexus is really nice with more natural colors and better resolution.

I know there was always an argument about closing apps with the iPhone and you never could get a definitive answer. I suspect that it does not make a huge difference either way.

I unplugged my Nexus at 5am this morning and I am at 72% at near 2pm. I have played a good bit but the real test will come Monday with a day of work. I do about 30-50 emails a day and use 2000 minutes a month talk but from the size of the battery, i feel like the Nexus will do fine.

Sounds like the toggle for push notifications (syncing your emails, tweets, etc. or not to save battery and data usage)

Enjoy your phone!

I think you are right.

Upvote 0
Not a Droid user yet so I am learning as well. Goofy, but good example: So you're saying if I have the web-browser or Angry Birds running in the background of my phone and I am not using neither of the apps at the time, it is not going to decrease battery life at all? I have a hard time believing that, but like I said, I'm not familiar with Android.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Now, apps can complete tasks or operate in the background, but well behaved apps like Angry Birds should suspend themselves and go to sleep, using some memory but no CPU cycles.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Now, apps can complete tasks or operate in the background, but well behaved apps like Angry Birds should suspend themselves and go to sleep, using some memory but no CPU cycles.

Pretty interesting. I'm a Blackberry user and was just going by what I know because of the issue of battery draining on Blackberrys when the phone has apps running in the background. Since I am jumping ship and going to a Nexus, this is good news to hear. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones