• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Push email and battery life

rakem

Lurker
Aug 12, 2010
So when push email is enabled (for my exchange work email only) my battery drains 10% every hour, even if i don't touch the phone it drains 10% Is this normal?

Looking at my screen, the 3G icon in the notification bar is constanlty changing between a 3G and H and the arrows are lighting up all the time. I don't receive to many emails (between 1 and 5 an hour)

I have recently flashed to JM5 and have only had that problem since comming to0 JM5. I have tried to different tricks for restting the battery stats and calabrating the battery but nothing really works.

Any thoughts?
Does anyone else using push have the same issue?

I've read somewhere citing that push is designed to save battery life. It's a complicated story though. If you get emails frequently and you want to get them asap, you'd be better off using push. You'll get your mails almost constantly. On the other hand, if you use poll in this situation, the mail app have to login to the server - let's say every 5 minutes - to check if there is an mail arrived. And this process will drain your battery a lot faster.

Upvote 0
I have push on my phone and it takes like 6 hours to use 10%, might be something else causing the drain?

Hmmm pretty sure it's something with push. If i disable push email altogeather my battery is fine. When connected to my home Wifi the battery is fine as well. I have advanced task manager running and there are no other apps running. Nothing else is set to sync automatically.

Perhaps i have my APN configured wrong...?
Currently the battery does not last a whole day, even if i don't touch the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones