• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RebelGFX Wallpaper Thread

BrianR

Nov 28, 2009
Hey guys, just got my HTC Hero (Sprint) this past Sunday, and I'm loving it. A good friend got the G1 the week it came out and I knew I wanted to wait until Android advanced and new handsets came out before I would jump in. I never wanted to get anywhere near an iPhone.I'm loving the Hero and I have little Droid envy. I'd prefer the faster processor, and higher rez screen, but I'm not a fan of the design of the phone itself. I am just looking forward to getting 2.0 (or even 1.6) on the Hero.

blahblahblah...

I tend to make all my own wallpapers - first for my desktops, going back to Photoshop 4, and then my PocketPCs and now Smartphones. The wall I have on my phone right now is "private", as most of my walls tend to be, but I have made one wall so far to share. There WILL be more.

My walls will be made for Heros and Sense UI, but that doesnt mean they cant be used by other phones - it's just that I design with the SenseUI's "Phone Arch" at the bottom in mind. Also, I put a "RebelGFX" logo under the phone arch. It should also be hidden under the normal Android square thingy, but honestly, I'm not sure. If you like a wall and want to use it and also want to retouch the logo off - go ahead. It's your phone, do what you want. I just ask that you dont remove the logo and then repost the wall anywhere. Not cool.

Also, my walls are higher res - 800x600 - instead of 640x480. From a few tests, the minor increase in resolution does result in a nicer image, and it allows the use on higher res phones. For those that haven't used 800x600 instead of 640x480 - it works just fine and you dont have to do anything special.

Also, keep in mind that I am very new to this phone and have only begun to play with it, so I am very much a newb.

More to follow. Enjoy. And feel free to give feedback.

RGfx-Wall-Android-BrickLogo01.jpg

Please let me know if embedded images dont show up.

I've decided to make my SenseUI Wallpaper template available to the community. It took a little bit of work to get this calibrated properly to Sense's 7 home pages, but I find the work to be worth it.

This file is a Photoshop CS4 created PSD. I've used Photoshop professionally since v4, and I dont know if this PSD opens properly in Gimp, but it should work in and CS version of Photoshop.

The template is a bit complicated, but shouldnt be too hard to follow.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C0IT6SA8HTC Sense Wallpaper Template

The basics:

-Center screen overlay with "4x4" shortcut grid.

-SenseUI "phone arch" at the bottom.

-Page location and 4x4 grid for each of the 7 pages.
--Home page is "0" w/ the pages to the left numbered "-1,-2,-3" and "+1,+2,+3" to the right.

-The template has a black frame around it. My frame is only approximate, but it's pretty close to accurate. The space at the top is under the status bar, but that big space at the bottom is completely off screen. I dont know why so much. Also, on the left and the right, there is about 50px for "over-swiping". (The sides dont show when the screen is idle, but if you swipe further, it shows more, then snaps back when released.) About 40px that is actually viewable, and 10px that is dead and unseen. Who am I to question... it's only my place to comply. So, to sum up, you image needs to be the full size, INCLUDING under the black frame - just make sure nothing "important" is hidden by the frame. BE SURE TO HIDE THE FRAME LAYER BEFORE SAVING OUT THE WALLPAPER.

Overview: All pages with all overlays.

TemplateSample01.jpg

Template with CENTER HOME PAGE ("0") overlay, and "working" wallpaper design underneath in order to see layout.

TemplateSample02.jpg

Note that your wallpaper design goes UNDER the "PAGES" folder, but ABOVE the "WhiteBG" layer when doing layout.

REMEMBER: Make sure you HIDE ALL LAYERS OF THE TEMPLATE before saving out your final wallpaper.

If I've been unclear, or you have questions, please ask.

Hope this finds some use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones