• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Recommend a phone?

I currently own the EVO and it has been nothing but problems for the past several months. I was online recently and saw the Samsung galaxy s2 available for 100$ I'm thinking I should just go for it. My upgrade isn't until July 2013 and I would like a new phone.
I understand ill be in 3g and 4g Wimax but I don't care too much about 4g, I'm content with my 3g hahaha (call me crazy haha)
But what is your guys opinions? I could be purchasing this phone (plus renewing contract) for 200$ I don't think that's too bad at all also doing the buyback program on my phone too.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
I currently own the EVO and it has been nothing but problems for the past several months. I was online recently and saw the Samsung galaxy s2 available for 100$ I'm thinking I should just go for it. My upgrade isn't until July 2013 and I would like a new phone.
I understand ill be in 3g and 4g Wimax but I don't care too much about 4g, I'm content with my 3g hahaha (call me crazy haha)
But what is your guys opinions? I could be purchasing this phone (plus renewing contract) for 200$ I don't think that's too bad at all also doing the buyback program on my phone too.

Thanks!!

I'm confused. You've stated conflicting information. First, you said that your "upgrade isn't until July 2013..." Then, you said that you "could be purchasing this phone (plus renewing contract) for $200..."

How is that possible? If you're not eligible for upgrade until July 2013 (which I also find strange, since you only have the original EVO, so that would mean that you purchased the original EVO last summer?), i'm assuming that $200 price tag is how much it would cost while using your "buy back" money for your current EVO?

And, no, I don't think it'd be worth it to purchase the Epic 4g touch. Even if you don't mind just having 3G, you should still be able to get a good deal on either a SGS 3 or a EVO LTE...especially if you're doing the buy back and paying full retail.

Reactions: aliciaa75
Upvote 0
Sprint is having a deal that you can buy the Samsung galaxy s2 for 100$ and get one free. I would like a new phone..that's why I figured it was a good deal.

But isn't that deal for people who are eligible for upgrade?

-EDIT- I just read the deal on sprint's website and it clearly states

"After mail-in-rebate. Restrictions Apply. Requires new 2 year agreement or eligible upgrade."

Upvote 0
Ohhh, so I wouldn't be able to get it ?? Or should I go looking for a used phone off eBay? I'm nervous to use Craigslist though.

Well, you can get it, but like I said...you'd have to pay full retail price, not the discount price. The whole point is that, you have to be ugprade eligible or be getting a new line in order to get the deal. If neither situation applies to you, then no, you wouldn't be able to get it at the discount price.

If you're really itching to get a new phone, it'd still be in the $200+ range to buy off ebay or Craig's list, but that's up to you.

Reactions: aliciaa75
Upvote 0
Try cowboom.com, it is a best buy affiliate and they run specials, a couple of days ago they had the photon for 120. Plus you can activate without extending your contract and they have a nice warranty program.

Good suggestion. I was about to recommend cowboom as well. Pretty sure there are some people on here that have even purchased from there and had a good experience. There are some other sites also, that offer good deals on pre-owned phones.

Upvote 0
Some of you may have read of my trials and tribulations with Sprint. Today I have decided to purchase a new phone at my own cost, the Sprint customer service rep is still supposed to call me this afternoon but I have given up on them doing the right thing.

I have searched the forum and got a few ideas but would like more input. I am going to stay with Sprint, on principle I just cant bring myself to pay the ETF right now and leave, plus like I have previously stated I get good coverage I just need a reliable phone.

Having said that, I am looking for something comparable with my S2, I want something I can use a Micro SD card with, I need a good camera with a flash, and I would like something that I could add an "extended life battery" to if necessary, there is no 4G coverage in my area and I have no clue to when/if there ever will be. I mainly use my phone for texting, sending/receiving email and web browsing. I use less than 45 voice minutes a month. I DO send about 400-450 pictures a month via text and email, I use the phone to take pictures of customer returns and shots for new product development.

In the past I have just walked in to the Sprint store and had them pick me out a phone, I will not be doing that this time. I may buy from Best Buy or some other reseller, I know I will have to pay the full unsubsidized price for the phone and I'm OK with that.

Any input would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Some of you may have read of my trials and tribulations with Sprint. Today I have decided to purchase a new phone at my own cost, the Sprint customer service rep is still supposed to call me this afternoon but I have given up on them doing the right thing.

I have searched the forum and got a few ideas but would like more input. I am going to stay with Sprint, on principle I just cant bring myself to pay the ETF right now and leave, plus like I have previously stated I get good coverage I just need a reliable phone.

Having said that, I am looking for something comparable with my S2, I want something I can use a Micro SD card with, I need a good camera with a flash, and I would like something that I could add an "extended life battery" to if necessary, there is no 4G coverage in my area and I have no clue to when/if there ever will be. I mainly use my phone for texting, sending/receiving email and web browsing. I use less than 45 voice minutes a month. I DO send about 400-450 pictures a month via text and email, I use the phone to take pictures of customer returns and shots for new product development.

In the past I have just walked in to the Sprint store and had them pick me out a phone, I will not be doing that this time. I may buy from Best Buy or some other reseller, I know I will have to pay the full unsubsidized price for the phone and I'm OK with that.

Any input would be appreciated.

I don't recommend Best Buy.....their prices are INSANE. Looking up the Galaxy Nexus, the price is $699.99 without a contract. So paying full price with them is a bad idea. If you don't want to buy from Sprint then maybe check Radio Shack?

But I do believe straight from Sprint store would be the cheapest route unless you buy used or from eBay from someone getting rid of their upgrade to make some cash.

As for the phone.....Galaxy Nexus, One X, or the GS3 are the biggest power houses atm. Problem is Galaxy Nexus has no SD slot but lots of storage so idk if that makes a difference to you or not.

You could always go with a used older phone to tie you over till these prices go down. I personally picked up a Nexus S and will likely either get S3 or Evo LTE once prices come down. Without 4G I just can't justify $500 for the phone atm.

The camera on the S3 is supposedly the best Sprint has atm but its not a huge upgrade idt over the other 2.

If you want the best Sprint has to offer then go with those, if you want something cheap(er) to hold you over a while the Photon, Nexus S,(For vanilla), or the Evo 4G are decent choices.

Upvote 0
Some of you may have read of my trials and tribulations with Sprint. Today I have decided to purchase a new phone at my own cost, ...

Sorry, Woody, but you're not making sense.

Sprint appears to have treated you shabbily. (IMO, having heard only your somewhat disjointed, wandering story.) Why would you wish to continue giving them your custom?

Surely the ETF + the cost of a new phone with a new carrier would not exceed the cost of paying full price for a new smartphone? Do you know what these things cost, retail? Best you can hope for, if money is the object, is a used phone off eBay, probably. (Choose well, grasshopper, lest you end up paying big $$$s for something that turns out cannot be activated.)

Lastly: You get good coverage? Weren't you telling us, in the other thread, both you and your family are roaming at home, and you're roaming at your office, all the time? Then you posted a link to a news story about other people in your locality (I assume, otherwise it didn't apply) having serious, persistent coverage problems.

Not trying to talk you away from Sprint. I like Sprint. But I wouldn't like them very much any more if I'd gone through what you'd related.

Jim

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones