• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Release date: 6/24 nationwide; 6/21 for SP members.

Sprint has stressed this is a summer release and summer doesn't actually start until June 21. :-/

yeah... so was last year's Evo launch considered a "summer" release?

Yup. I remember that was one of the most heated debates, prior to the announcement of the EVO 4G release date. People kept arguing the point of the actual start of summer and it ended up having no connection at all.

Upvote 0
thought so. If they were super technical about it, the Evo 4G release should have been billed a Spring (or Q2) release. But that's like saying Evo 3D is a "summer" release, and the phone is actually released in mid September, which no longer feels like summer.

Summer in marketing terms is JUN/JUL/AUG. I think early June is definitely still fair game.

Upvote 0
If my theory about the release date being tied to the yerkish renaming, that is supposed to go down in 5 hrs as of when I'm typing this per this page

Sprint- All Together Now

lets cross our collective fingers

Looks like it was just about the band. Oh well, was hoping your were right though...mostly because there's no real date to look forward to even hearing about release, could just be any random day, but no particular even to look forward to or anything.

Upvote 0
Sprint does release most of their phones on Sunday, but 3 years in a row the flagship phone has been released on a Friday, and for at least the last 2 (I can't remember the date of the instinct) it was the first Friday in June (technically the Pre was released on a Friday at Premier parties and to the public on Saturday)

Upvote 0
I guess I've never really paid attention, but read elsewhere that the FCC releases information on Fridays typically. Anyone care to weight in on the truthfulness of that? Would be great to get some info tomorrow...but unfortunately, it doesn't seem like Sprint is in any big hurry, so not holding my breath. :(

I'm so used to seeing it as guesswork in blogs as to what product is what in the FCC stuff, I've never thought about it or thought to notice a date.

I was always frustrated at those articles, because they always publish a lot of specs, but they're just rehashing the rumors and the FCC stuff is always to lean to support it in my opinion.

But - you raise an interesting point. No way could this be mistaken for anything else.

We had a conversation in an Evo thread about how long the gap _had_ to be between FCC and taking orders - I had no position, but the other guy did and we were discussing that. (BlackDynamite maybe? Knew what he was talking about anyways.) And since then, pretty sure we've seen that window narrow suprisingly. Example - Nexus S 4G cleared FCC on April 9, and people were buying them last weekend, right - less than a month's window there.

Let's see - April 9 - Friday.

FCC approval date for the Captivate - June 11 - Friday.

HTC Doubleshot approved May 4, 2011 - Wednesday.

Oh, well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones