• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide

is there a way to bring my phone back to the beginning nothing in phone changed other than now my gmail and other mail and pretty much anything that syncs will no longer sync it says sync is disabled I checked everywhere in the phones settings and sync settings and there is no way in there to turn sync back on not sure why that is off now

Upvote 0
yes yes and yes not sure why it could not find that part ... i rechecked my sd card and sure enough there both there
just to make sure, but do you have them in a folder or just on the card?
is there a way to bring my phone back to the beginning nothing in phone changed other than now my gmail and other mail and pretty much anything that syncs will no longer sync it says sync is disabled I checked everywhere in the phones settings and sync settings and there is no way in there to turn sync back on not sure why that is off now

out of curiosity did you do the other commands? if so then that might be the issue. you will then need to get the first command to work and hopefully that should fix the issue. the only other thing that i can think of is to do a factory reset. but, i'm not sure if that will help or not.

Upvote 0
no zip on the end but i didnt add one either i checked the sd card and checked the files properties and there is no extra .zip .... can i just start the root process over and redo that step for the flash in the command that wasnt working

yes you can. just start over and try and get the command to work.

Upvote 0
I also meant to ask for thoughts on the best backup method for apps and their data before flashing a new rom.

Titanium Backup. You can backup/restore everything w/ this app and is the standard in the root community. Just make sure that when hopping from ROM to ROM, you only restore your apps and app data. Restoring system data from ROM to ROM may cause the current ROM you're running to become buggy.

Upvote 0
using the HTCdev method everything was going fine. I got to step 8 for flashing the ROM and my phone keeps rebooting over and over again. it will get to the 4G screen and start all the way over again :( did i do something wrong???
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what rom is it? did you wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data like it says in the guide? can you get to recovery? if so then all is good. it could be a bad download or a bad flash. i would first try wiping again and re-flash the rom. and then if that does not work then try and re-download the rom and try again.

also just an fyi, if the boot animation keeps looping that is normal. however, if it loops with the boot animation and the htc screen then something is wrong.

another fyi, the first boot will take longer to boot up then normal. so be patient.

Reactions: lyssamama
Upvote 0
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what rom is it? did you wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data like it says in the guide? can you get to recovery? if so then all is good. it could be a bad download or a bad flash. i would first try wiping again and re-flash the rom. and then if that does not work then try and re-download the rom and try again.

also just an fyi, if the boot animation keeps looping that is normal. however, if it loops with the boot animation and the htc screen then something is wrong.

another fyi, the first boot will take longer to boot up then normal. so be patient.

:hello:THANK YOU!!! i did wipe the dalvik cache, cache, and data like it says. but thinking back i could not find the ROM file on my card so i went back and put it on there again. when i went back in recovery i didnt do the wipes over again so maybe that's what the problem was? i got to recovery and restored the back up. going to try again! will keep you posted!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
What was that poor thing doing on the roof of your car!:eek:

No worries, we'll get you rooted again

I set it down there when I was getting ready to get in and forgot about it:thinking:

Yeah, I think I'm as far as I want to go now, just nervously unlocked, flashed superuser file, nandroid backup just completed...now to wipe and flash MikG and Pneuma's ICS theme. phew;)

Upvote 0
did everything over again starting from flashing the ROM. my phone is now rebooting over and over and over again. staring from the Sprint screen and then to the 4G screen.... this is normal... right? :thinking:

what rom are you trying to flash? did you do a nandroid restore? if so did that work? try wiping everything except for sd card and try again.

Upvote 0
flashing the ROM that you recommended (MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]) i chose 3.11 upate... should i use the other one?... yes, the nandroid restore did work.

ok that is your issue then. i will need to add this into the guide. the update is not a full rom. it is only for those that had the previous version and wanted to update to this version. you need to flash the full version.

Upvote 0
GOTCHA! phone is restoring right now and the new ROM file is downloading.

cool beans.

just to let you know you can transfer the file over to the card via usb. in amon ra2.3 on the main menu select usb-ms toggle and then you will be able to move the file over.

let us know how that goes for you.

Upvote 0
cool beans.

just to let you know you can transfer the file over to the card via usb. in amon ra2.3 on the main menu select usb-ms toggle and then you will be able to move the file over.

let us know how that goes for you.

i want to try the USB method. i already did the amon ra 2.3 recovery do i need to delete that or anything??? or do i just continue with the steps for amon ra2.3 with android flasher?

Upvote 0
i want to try the USB method. i already did the amon ra 2.3 recovery do i need to delete that or anything??? or do i just continue with the steps for amon ra2.3 with android flasher?

no you already have amon ra 2.3. just boot into recovery and select usb-ms toggle and move the rom file over.

Upvote 0
ok i moved it over and it seems like nothing happened. my phone said Enabling USB-MB : .
Press POWER to disable.
and return to menu

when i move the file i am just placing it on the card right?

sorry for all these questions.

first of all do not be sorry for the questions. this is a forum after all and that is what they were designed for.

secondly, you just want the file on the card, no folders.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones