• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM]AOSP ShiftTh3ory

The voltages and clock speeds on this kernel are pretty strange. Looks like the voltages were already tweaked from stock.

They very well could be. I think it may be clocked that 1400 (or so) is the same as 1000 stock.

This Rom performs even better than the og butnth3ory. The app drawer is smoother and so is scrolling certain apps like the phandroid app.
Now to see how the battery holds up.

I didn't get that far on the stock kernel. Back on IMO's .8 and I'm at 88% been off the charger for 7 hours now:eek:

Upvote 0
Interactive governer should work by keeping you at the lowest speed in idle then once the screen is turned on it should just to the highest speed or close to it and then scale back to lowest speed required for what you are doing. So what you described should be about right. From what I understand smartass is a mix of on demand and interactive. On demand should idle low then only go up as it needs to. Interactive should cause a more snappy reaction with a slightly higher battery use, on demand can have lags but is more conservitive on the battery.

Reactions: ahoogst
Upvote 0
Tiamat is running fine for me, even OC'd to 1.5. Mainly interested in eclipse as he made a big deal about it in burnth3ory, which I never ran. I went straight from Pur3 to shift.

Did you change the voltages it was running stock? I tried OC to 1.5 and got a reboot before I got out of setCPU. Yeah I don't know why he was all over eclipse then switched to Tiamat 3 days later. I didn't read the whole thread at XDA but if it was like here people were complaining about the cpu getting stuck on slots above the min.

Upvote 0
Did you change the voltages it was running stock? I tried OC to 1.5 and got a reboot before I got out of setCPU. Yeah I don't know why he was all over eclipse then switched to Tiamat 3 days later. I didn't read the whole thread at XDA but if it was like here people were complaining about the cpu getting stuck on slots above the min.

Didnt touch the voltage settings at all. Set it to 1497 with smartass scaling in setcpu and it has been rock solid.

Upvote 0
It locked up on me as soon as I changed scaling to interactive, but still running fine on smartass. Here is proof that it is actually hitting 1497 though. Ignore the percentages as I just rebooted from the lockup on interactive so it hasn't spent any time sleeping yet.

snap20110826_171559.png

Upvote 0
Perhaps it has something to do with how fast the phone jumps to that speed. Smartass shouldn't just to the highest slot as quickly as interactive should, so maybe the slower progression and longer stays (or stops at all) at the lower slots make it stable. I have a feeling that if you were to find a way to get it to stay at the top slot for an extended period of time it may begin to cause issues.

Upvote 0
Found that strange as well. I have never seen the scaling alone make that big a difference on any other kernel.

I have seen it when pushing to 1.8. My phone will run 1.8 on smartass and interactive, but I had freezes on ondemand. Which is weird since interactive jumps to max on wake, then backs off based on a predictive algorithm.

From what I have read, OD is completely reactive, while smartass and interactive are predictive. smartass is supposedly a bit more conservative than interactive.

Edit: yeahha, your post made me think that maybe a quick jump is not all that bad...it may be that ondemand creeps up to max and sticks there under heavy load while the others keep trying to back off.

Upvote 0
Perhaps it has something to do with how fast the phone jumps to that speed. Smartass shouldn't just to the highest slot as quickly as interactive should, so maybe the slower progression and longer stays (or stops at all) at the lower slots make it stable. I have a feeling that if you were to find a way to get it to stay at the top slot for an extended period of time it may begin to cause issues.

I just ran a 5 minute stress test in setcpu with no problems other than the phone getting a little hot to the touch, so I dunno.

Upvote 0
i dunno,all this talk of kernels,voltages and clock speeds makes my lil brain hurt :eek: what i do know is that my phone does seem to run very well on the tiamat kernel,but like everyone else it seems to be a bit harder on the battery. tomoro ill prolly run it with leankernel and see how that goes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones