• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Dirty Unicorns 5.1.1 {HAMMERHEAD} (4/26/15)

Which mobile technology does your carrier use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found that but when I drag down, none of the options shown are the unlock.
It seems that when you install the rom, it gives you preinstalled lockscreen targets. It used to not do that. Anyway... If you hit the reset to defaults in the upper right, it will by default make every unused space unlock the screen.

You'll have to set up your other targets again after resetting to default but after that any open position will still unlock. Just leave the bottom target blank.

Upvote 0
When you say "still", since I didn't notice the previous complaint in this thread, were you losing signal before DU.? Did you used to have good signal with same phone, locations and service or has it been bad since the beginning?

I had no issues before rooting and installing DU. Now using ElementalX kernel and the new DU. I am on ATT if that matters.

Upvote 0
Are you on the latest radio version?

And, how did you flash the rom? Did you do a clean install?

Also, do you have any other mods on the phone such as xposed framework?

No idea about the radio or where to find out.

I did a clean install the first time. Should I do a wipe and install the ElementalX and DU again?

No other mods on the phone.

Sorry for being such a noob. Last time I rooted and ROM'd was the first Incredible and I don't remember a thing!

Upvote 0
Since I installed DU Go SMS is taking a ton of battery. I haven't sent or received any texts recently but it shows it has used 24% of my battery. I uninstalled the emoji plug-in earlier today because it seemed to be using a lot of battery but I'm still having a problem. Is there a texting app that works better with DU?

Hmm... I don't use Go SMS, I just use Hangouts. I know quite a few others use 8 SMS and I believe it has emoji support as well.

For Go SMS you could try going into - Settings/Apps/All apps/ scroll down to Go SMS and then clear the cache and then force stop the app. That might help with whatever is causing it to drain the battery.

Upvote 0
No idea about the radio or where to find out.

I did a clean install the first time. Should I do a wipe and install the ElementalX and DU again?

No other mods on the phone.

Sorry for being such a noob. Last time I rooted and ROM'd was the first Incredible and I don't remember a thing!

It might be the radio/modem that your on. What's the devices baseband version?
You can check in /Settings/about phone/

You might just want to try a Factory Data Reset through recovery before reflashing everything.

Upvote 0
Hmm... I don't use Go SMS, I just use Hangouts. I know quite a few others use 8 SMS and I believe it has emoji support as well.

For Go SMS you could try going into - Settings/Apps/All apps/ scroll down to Go SMS and then clear the cache and then force stop the app. That might help with whatever is causing it to drain the battery.
Now another issue. I've had it plugged in for 2 hours and it has only charged about 2%. Why is it charging so slowly? I am about to restore it to the way it was before. I cannot have the battery die this fast and then take days to charge again. Also it's really hot and I've never had it get hot just from charging before.

Upvote 0
Device baseband is M8974A-2.0.50.1.16

I really think it's the baseband version your on. I had issues with signal drops and switching from WiFi to data on this version. Which I think is from Android L.
I would flash back to the radio version from the KTU84P build. You can download and flash the KTU84P radio.zip through recovery from here - Listing of Modems

Reactions: Twiz
Upvote 0
I really think it's the baseband version your on. I had issues with signal drops and switching from WiFi to data on this version. Which I think is from Android L.
I would flash back to the radio version from the KTU84P build. You can download and flash the KTU84P radio.zip through recovery from here - Listing of Modems

They put out the L version in android 4.4.4?

Upvote 0
Now another issue. I've had it plugged in for 2 hours and it has only charged about 2%. Why is it charging so slowly? I am about to restore it to the way it was before. I cannot have the battery die this fast and then take days to charge again. Also it's really hot and I've never had it get hot just from charging before.

That's strange... You shouldn't be having any charging issues at all. Double check the USB and charging adapter connections.
Try rebooting the device also just in case.
You might have a wakelock... something keeping the device awake.

Truthfully my battery life improved using DU/Franco over the stock ROM.
Have you made any changes to the kernel or the system setting's? That might have an effect or impact on the battery life.

Upvote 0
Something is keeping it awake. When I look at the graph in better battery stats it shows it awake almost solid for the past 8 hours and I may have used it a total of 5 minutes.

I am going to be gone all day tomorrow and this is my only phone. I need it to have a charge all day. Now I am freaking out.

I knew something was keeping it awake...
For a quick fix, just reboot to recovery and wipe only the dalvik cache and cache, reboot and you should be fine.

Upvote 0
The USB cable was fine charging it before I flashed the rom so I don't think that's it. I did what you said but won't it just keep doing it again? Or do I need to do that nightly or something?

I don't mind not using go sms if it's causing a problem. I don't care about emojis either. I only switched back when I have an optimus v and the stock sms app kept failing to send mms messages.

Upvote 0
I think this is my culprit. I installed wakelock detector and look. I need a different sms app, stat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-16-01-08-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-16-01-08-00.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: xdrc45
Upvote 0
It is still listing the same baseband version as before. I flashed the zip you suggested from TWRP and rebooted the phone.

Your right... I just flashed the KTU84P radio and it's baseband #M8974A-2.050.1.16, I thought that was L radio. Maybe try either the KTU84M or the L version.
I'm going to flash L again really quick and double check.

Upvote 0
This is so weird. I downloaded 8sms and made it the default messaging app. But I can't find it in the app drawer. I've looked everywhere. The only way I can open it is to go to the play store, do a search for 8sms, and then hit the open button on that page. How do I find it so I can put a shortcut on my home screen?

Maybe I'll try textra instead.

never mind-I found it. In the app tray it's not called 8sms. It's called "messaging".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones