• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Rom/Kernel]AWEsome Rom[V1.6]

I noticed it to I'm still here and will b can't aford to get new devices all the time lol
Luckily Boost has a special on porting numbers to their service and I got my Desire 510 for the price of a cheapo $5 Tracfone and the first month bill ^_^. Didn't spend more than $55 for it. Still, my AWE is my baby and it needs some lovin

Upvote 0
I'm still trying to beet ur quardent score with the sport ROM got it to 6800:)
You won't reach much higher on KK Roms. The kernel isn't working as fluently as stock based. But 6800 ain't nothing to sneeze at!
Sadly it may never my Desires 10K achievement. One could always hope, but Quad-Core vs Dual-Core isn't really a fair match. Still, it's a solid fight

Upvote 0
I still monitor these threads also but have moved on. I got a screaming deal. I paid $80 for a galaxy S3. Sadly it's the updated triband model so there are issues with most aosp ROMS. Not much dev work going on for this new S3. I still love the phone though.
Had an S3 once. Loved it while it lasted because you really can't find much fault in Samsung hardware. Unfortunately I had to get rid of it for some cash as I was strapped at the time and got $80 from a phone trade machine at the mall. The latest version isn't much of a step up from the old one. Wow...quad band LTE. Yay? Still no match for my Desire ^_^

Upvote 0
I've been trying to flash this using TWRP and AWEsome 1.6 (with update binary fix uploaded here, not manually copying as advised earlier) and I'm still getting the same error with the update binary that a couple others had mentioned on the prior page. I'm downloading Moonshine now and I was debating trying it manually but got to reading closer and that on the first page, it was stated in the instructions to use CWM. I've never used it before but figure it has to be fairly similar to TWRP in terms of using it so I'm willing to give it go. What I'm left wondering though is that now I'm already rooted and have a custom recovery, is there an easier way to get CWM going than the PC route? I've got Linux and I'm terrible with the terminal so I try to avoid it lol. Could I use TWRP to flash to CWM and then simply proceed with backing up, wiping, and flashing? Also, if I were to do this, my TWRP ROM backups will be no good, correct? I've done some reading but yet to find the answer. I'm going to search some more but I just really worry about that because TWRP is like my lifeline...any screwups, whether mine or not, I can boot into TWRP and reflash or whatever else.

Upvote 0
I've been trying to flash this using TWRP and AWEsome 1.6 (with update binary fix uploaded here, not manually copying as advised earlier) and I'm still getting the same error with the update binary that a couple others had mentioned on the prior page. I'm downloading Moonshine now and I was debating trying it manually but got to reading closer and that on the first page, it was stated in the instructions to use CWM. I've never used it before but figure it has to be fairly similar to TWRP in terms of using it so I'm willing to give it go. What I'm left wondering though is that now I'm already rooted and have a custom recovery, is there an easier way to get CWM going than the PC route? I've got Linux and I'm terrible with the terminal so I try to avoid it lol. Could I use TWRP to flash to CWM and then simply proceed with backing up, wiping, and flashing? Also, if I were to do this, my TWRP ROM backups will be no good, correct? I've done some reading but yet to find the answer. I'm going to search some more but I just really worry about that because TWRP is like my lifeline...any screwups, whether mine or not, I can boot into TWRP and reflash or whatever else.
Hmmm. Update binary still fudged? Couldn't be, I've flashed it dozens of times myself in TWRP. Try cwm I guess? Since your rooted you can flash recovery with RASHR. It's pretty simple and straightforward. Extract the recovery.img file to your sdcard and select flash recovery from storage. Very simple and no PC needed. No your TWRPs won't work in cwm, and yes you could flash cwm in twrp and vice versa should you need to restore.

Reactions: roadkill42
Upvote 0
Alright, I just flashed CWM via Rashr and made a backup and that took my whole half hour lunch lol. Must say I like the speed better in TWRP and the interface in TWRP is a ton better. CWM reminds me of the stock recovery actually. Anyways, I'll try flashing the ROM after wiping and all once I get home today.

Edit: I did as I said and tried flashing AWEsome via CWM and it worked like a charm. So far, I really like it. The simplicity is there and it even looks "simple" for lack of a better term yet when you delve in, you see Trickster, KK Launcher, BusyBox, ect... Its like a suite of tools for rooted users came pre installed (vs the virgin bloatware for stock) and pretty much covers the whole schbang from the first boot yet it still has the simple stock look in my eyes. I'm not real big on stock...I'm fine with custom or stock and appreciate the visual differences between them. It just really impressed me. Now I need to do some research on busy box and what that is (can't remember but I know Ive done it before) and Xposed as I noticed a bunch of add on modules that sounded sweet. I had installed one a couple days ago on Lawe but didnt appear to work but Ive got hope with that as it was probably an operator error in some fashion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IDK of all the roms for this phone this one is the best I understand that it takes a lot of work to do what you all do but it seems like all the other roms all have the same bugs no camera and no working sd witch I think are the most important things for a device that only has 2 gigs of internal memory so keep up the good work oh on a side note for anyone who needs to extend their WiFi range there's no need to buy a Repeater I found a app that turns my spare awe into one it's called fqrouter it's on the play store

Upvote 0
IDK of all the roms for this phone this one is the best I understand that it takes a lot of work to do what you all do but it seems like all the other roms all have the same bugs no camera and no working sd witch I think are the most important things for a device that only has 2 gigs of internal memory so keep up the good work oh on a side note for anyone who needs to extend their WiFi range there's no need to buy a Repeater I found a app that turns my spare awe into one it's called fqrouter it's on the play store
Thanks boss ^_^ glad you are enjoying your experience. I aimed to provide the lightest, as-barebones-as-possible Rom for the AWE and I think I achieved it. This is based on stock 4.1.2 and doesn't really hold a candle to the feature rich beautiful themed Moonshine and L AWE Roms on here, but my thought process was if you want it...there's an app for that. Let the end-user decide how they want to customize their device. That's what Androids all about right?
Thanks for the support and I do look forward to providing at least one more update hopefully in the near future

Upvote 0
Did these threads die or something?
If you havent noticed I too have been pretty quiet around here. The sad truth is I've moved on. I happened across our good buddy rbheromax who has been working on some incredible developments for the HTC Desire 510 and I just HAD to get in on it. I've been stalking the forums here and have noticed some pretty infrequent postage wondering if others have just gone off to another device as I have? I've still got my AWE and am am still excited to see what comes out these forums so please guys/gals/devs don't give up on our little chugger.

Count me in, i have the desire 510 with the 64 bit processor.

Upvote 0
I was checking out the 510 from VM and it's a decent looking phone. Reviews are poor but I learned never to trust reviews on VM. I might try looking around to see what development is being referred to if I have time tonight at work. I've been wanting a 4g phone for the longest but besides that and screen size, I'm fine with the Awe.

Upvote 0
I was checking out the 510 from VM and it's a decent looking phone. Reviews are poor but I learned never to trust reviews on VM. I might try looking around to see what development is being referred to if I have time tonight at work. I've been wanting a 4g phone for the longest but besides that and screen size, I'm fine with the Awe.
There's really no development for 510 VM some what for 510 cricket

Upvote 0
There's really no development for 510 VM some what for 510 cricket

I guess I am wondering if there are other newer versions of the "Awe" out there yonder somewhere. Not literally a new Awe but a phone with a similar situation or something along those lines. Cheap or cheaper priced, solid hardware and build quality, decent amount of development, and able to be developed and customized into something special.

Upvote 0
I guess I am wondering if there are other newer versions of the "Awe" out there yonder somewhere. Not literally a new Awe but a phone with a similar situation or something along those lines. Cheap or cheaper priced, solid hardware and build quality, decent amount of development, and able to be developed and customized into something special.
Moto G is an excellent choices. It has 5.X support officially with a huge development community including official CM, AOSPA, Slim, PAC and others and there are different variants at different price points. May have to look at a unlocked retail version for Virgin if they have a BYOD program. Specs are solid even on the 1st Gen 4.5 Gorilla glass display @329ppi, 1.2ghz quad core SD 400, Adreno 305 , 1ghz ram etc...

Upvote 0
The VM and Boost and Sprint models have a 32 bit chip. It's a great device! And recent developments have been trying to make it even better. I suggest checking the XDA forums for stuff going on.

Upvote 0
I dont like the device no flash
Yeah that's kind of an important piece to any recent devices. And the cameras aren't that great to begin with. Luckily I'm not much of a shutterbug, so it doesn't affect me so much. Shutter speed is rather impressive though. Have taken some great shots with my wiggly son that I otherwise would have missed with my AWE's

Upvote 0
Really, I don't like the idea of no flash either. I've gotten so used to using the flash as a torch when I go caving that I don't know if I could go back. Wouldn't quite say deal breaker for me but I don't like the idea. I did do a quick Google and Amazon search for Moto G...Boost model that apparently has no SD support can be had for a bit under $100 it appears. Checked xda for Moto G and the first page in the forum sure looked as though a lot of development was taking place. I'm attached to the convenience of an sd card and I'm surprised an 8gb phone has none.

Upvote 0
I'm with dragonhart6505 I don't really use my camera for anything other than video calls so the rear flash is a moot feature for me. I did however see that Boost picked up the LTE Moto E second Gen. Which aside from the flash is a pretty solid choice for $99. Has 1.2ghz quad core SD 401, adreno 306, dual cams (sans flash) 1gb ram 4.5" display at 292ppi with 5.0.2 out of the box and 5.1+ update guaranteed. Just waiting on Boost to open BYOD and Switch my N5 to them lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones