• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM]{MS840} Number_Two v1.8 ~ ZVA

yeah it's possible, probly only minor kernel edits etc.. ill look into it :D
Long time no see :) hope all is good with ya. We cant thank you enough for all the work youve done for this phone and the fact that your willing to even look into porting your #2 Rom over to VV3 -or- VV4 is Fkn AWESOME!! VV3 can be rooted but at this time VV4 is unable to get root for some reason so Im not sure if you can still port over your ROM to VV4, either way thanks again for looking into this. Its good to see work being done on this phone again with the CM10 ROM moving along and now out of nowhere you show up like :ridinghorse:" I am here, and I too will help work on this phone; again"!!! :rofl:

Upvote 0
Hi all, I was wondering if someone can patch this kernel with the 2 way call recorder? I installed 1.8 last night and man I don't know what it is but my battery doesn't last very long on this version. Using 1.7 my battery lasted a long time but on 1.8 it's getting destroyed. I'm already at 50% and my phone has only been on for 3 hours and I have only added one app so far and that was Firefox.... Help?

Upvote 0
Does VV3/VV4 basebands work the same for you, or have you tried yet?

Havent tried it yet, but in the process of me lurking in the shadows of this subforum people have praised both different basebands from the newer firmwares (VV3 and VV4)

People have reported more stable LTE (LTE stays on more often and doesn't switch back to 1xRTT or 1xEVDO(3G) as often)

Also in some cases reports of blazing fast speed, like that of what LTE is supposed to be. Although it seems dependent on the area for that. I think some also reported VoLTE as well (Purple LTE icon).

I myself havent tried it, so I can't say. I am tempted to try VV3 (I cannot live without root), but I am to far settled into the awesomeness that is Number Two.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to flash ZV*, factory reset, root, create "/data/local.prop" with "ro.kernel.qemu=1", fix permissions, flash VV3 or VV4 without factory reset, and use adb shell as root immediately on boot? This worked on the lucid ZV8 (which was still technically rootable via a vpn exploit, but the adb restore timing issue was fixed, rendering the one click useless). At that point, you could probably rip the baseband/radio firmware as root and make a flashable zip like the lucid users have done with ZV6/7/8.

Upvote 0
So i noticed something that is hopefully just happening with my 1.8. I was taking pics and i wanted to use Flash on my camera, and well... i couldnt find the option. It got replaced by the Focus shortcut button instead... haha idk if thats just me, but are you guys having the same issue? Same goes with the recorder unfortunately =/ Any feedback would be appreciated :D thanks in advance guys

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That totally sucks, and I don't think a VV4 baseband system pull will happen until a root exploit is found. Do any of you think VV3 baseband is a better option over ZVA?

Hey Drifta, is a baseband file pull all you need? Anybody here running VV3 rooted with Terminal that can do a pull for us? :D

Hypernoob question, but do you need root access to read a file?

Upvote 0
That totally sucks, and I don't think a VV4 baseband system pull will happen until a root exploit is found. Do any of you think VV3 baseband is a better option over ZVA?

Hey Drifta, is a baseband file pull all you need? Anybody here running VV3 rooted with Terminal that can do a pull for us? :D

Sorry Ive been gone for awhile but im back :) I just did the pull for VV3 and im emailing it to ldrifta now ;)

UPDATE:
I didnt know Ldrifta's email and I couldnt find how to attach the file using PM so I just uploaded it to dropbox and here is the ---> LINK

Upvote 0
Are we sure that the only improvement in VV4 is the baseband, though? Some people are reporting better battery life, as well. Wouldn't want to miss out on that if it's part of vv3/4.

Just got an email back from LG regarding what changes were made from vv3->vv4:

Hello LG,

I am emailing today inquring about the the VV4 update available for my MS840V. What in particular are the contents of this update? What does it fix/change compared to my current software version, VV3? I would like to know if I need any of the improvements and if I need to go through the trouble of updating.

Thanks in advance!

Ross

This we don't have the specifications for I'm afraid.

This will need to be discussed with your Metro PCS local retail store.

Thank you and be blessed this New Year, Ross!

Not too helpful. I'm going to talk to Metro tonight/tomorrow to see if the changes in VV4 include anything worth putting our energy into rooting for.

Upvote 0
I think VV5 is out now. Kinda shocked that they are regularly releasing firmware updates for the Connect now. I thought after ZVA we were going to get the shaft.

I am going to look into learning how to find root on a phone (completely n00b at that). And when I have enough info on that, I will backup Number Two as is on my phone and install VV5 and attempt to root it with various LG exploits and whatnot...

Whenever I take on that, and if successful; I will let you all know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones