• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM] Velocity V0.2 | LG Ally | Big Release | Fast | Android 2.1 | Stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the place for this but i wanted to share my experiences. I said to myself, "Self, V0.2 is awesome, it's fast, it's snappy, responsive, and it all works reliably but........ what about overclocking"? Drellisdee's oc kernel was what i tried to accomplish this. I backed up my current config wit Rom Manager and installing the kernel was easy, then just a couple quick tweaks through setcpu app an viola, 768mhz! So what is the overall gain here... none! I tried the highest oc setting but it kept giving me kernel panic, dropped down the 768 and was running ok but the heat from oc'ing the cpu was too much. Upset, I reflashed clockwork recovery and restored my previous configuration. I was surprised to find that V0.2 was faster in stock configuration than with the oc kernel. Great freaking ROM Trident, only thing it needs is app2sd oh and that onscreen keyboard issue with thinkfree office documents fixed but surprisingly well done none the less!

Upvote 0
Server Error

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Is this just temporarily and is there a mirror/other direct download link??

I just saw this on: http://trident.noodlesoftware.com/

Well It seems iv finnaly managed to break something on my server. Not jsut something, everything. So the sites have been down for ever.
All My loved members Im very sorry to tell you it might be 1 or 2 days. Dont die, I still love you.
Mods, and Staff you may contact me via Skype or AIM. I will post more here.
If someone downloaded it, could you pm me. I would like to get it from you. Thanks

Also, if someone could also provide the MD5 hash.. not saying I don't trust anyone or anything.

Upvote 0
It's getting really annoying telling this update to wait till later to install. I was reading Drellisdee's update install, has anyone else seen/done that whole process? If so could you share your experience so I know it will install the update yet keep root and Velocity (or at least the ability to reflash Velocity back to the phone) afterward. Or is a Velocity 0.2 update with this ota update included coming soon? Just hate the reminders that keep coming up screwing me up while I'm working on stuff. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I don't suppose anyone has this rom saved on their computer they could shoot to me? I tried going to the site and I keep getting an error messsage, and now I think I've flashed my phone so many times it has bits and peices of different roms. I cant even download this rom from ROM manager; on either 1 of my ally's. Both are rooted to velocity v0.1 aloha...want the new one ...PLZ help.

jmbouvier00@att.net

Upvote 0
Hmm.... is there a "Install Velocity" for Dummies thread? I think I need one. I am too afraid to attempt installing this because I have no idea what half the terms mean ;)
First things first. You need root access for a detailed list of instructions check here: http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/110156-how-root-lg-ally.html

Next you'll need an application called Rom Manager, this is available through the market.

Once you have root and have Rom Manager installed it's fairly easy.

1: Flash Clockwork Recovery in Rom Manager
2: Once flashed make a back up, make a back up, I can't stress it enough, make a back up!!
3: Using your computer download Velocity 0.2, here's the link: http://bit.ly/aBFm7z
4: Once downloaded move to your phones sd card, don't put it in any kind of folder, just leave it in the root directory of the sd card (ie. e:/velocity_v0.2_release.zip where e: is your sd card)
5: After it's been copied to your sd card go back into Rom Manager and select Reboot Into Recovery, this will reboot your phone into recovery mode.
6: Using your physical D pad with the keyboard slid out, select these options, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, advanced, wipe dalvik cahce.
7: Next you hit the back button on the keyboard and select from the recovery menu "install zip from sd card", select the velocity 0.2 .zip file and watch it go.
8: After it reboots and loads up, the verizon logo splash screen won't have that red smokey animation, it will be static, meaning it just sits there, then the old "Droid Eye" logo will be animated till you get to your home screen, VIOLA, you're now running Velocity 0.2.

Hope this helps, let me know if there is a step I'm missing, I'm 99.8% sure that's that all you need though. :cool:

Reactions: Nemesiis
Upvote 0
OMG I'm so happy now. That was the whole problem. I guess I was downloading only bits and bytes (pun intended) of the update and it was acting really funny. It actually deleted all my previous ROM backups, had to revert to the original one I saved on the laptop to get it working.

Finally got the new ROM installed, thanks so much for getting it up and running. IM lovin it.

Upvote 0
I just installed the Rom. it looks great; However, five minutes after i got the rom installed, the android update came. I clicked ignore it. I wasnt thinking and i went back to my old backup in order to go back to unrooted and get the update. well when i went back to my original backup, it started the update on its own. this is not what I wanted. my phone is still rooted and it is updating as we speak.
Will the Velocity 0.2 still work after the update?
will the update fail if i am still rooted?
if the update wipes my root, does dresilles universal androot still work?
:thinking:

Upvote 0
I have just a few questions before taking the leap.

I am currently using drellisdee's 1.2.3 recovery console, do I have to switch over to rom manager to install velocity or will I be fine flashing it using drellisdee's? I tried Rom Manager/clockwork in the past and it just didn't work on my phone always crashing.

Above shows native launcher2 in the feature list, but I would assume I would still be able to use an alternate launcher like dxtop or launcherPro, is that correct?

I hear that velocity .3 is in the works, generally speaking how far along is it? If the new version has just started being coded and is a long ways off I might as well go ahead and get .2 now, but if it's right around the corner I would rather wait for it and see what it brings.

I currently use Titanium Backup would I be able to restore my 3rd party apps after applying this new rom or do I need to reinstall everything from the ground up?

Upvote 0
I just happened to leap this morning myself.

> I am currently using drellisdee's 1.2.3 recovery console, do I have to
> switch over to rom manager to install velocity or will I be fine flashing it
> using drellisdee's?

I first tried the update with ROM Manager and it kept getting hung up during the first boot after the update. Fortunately, Clockworkmod Recover always let me restore the backup I made just before the attempt, so no harm done.

I then switched to the recovery console, manually cleared all the necessary caches, and applied the update from a zip file that I put on the SD. Worked like a charm.

> I would assume I would still be able to use an alternate launcher like
> dxtop or launcherPro, is that correct?

Yes, I switched to Launcher Pro without any trouble.

> I hear that velocity .3 is in the works, generally speaking how far along is it?

I'd also like to know that. Given how easy installing 0.2 was, I'm not concerned about doubling my effort, though.

> I currently use Titanium Backup would I be able to restore my 3rd party
> apps after applying this new rom or do I need to reinstall everything from
> the ground up?

Titanium Backup restored all my apps and settings to how I had the phone set up before the update.

The only extra step I had to take was to redo placing all the widgets on the desktop, but that was easy, too.

Ken

Reactions: spiritofjon
Upvote 0
I have just a few questions before taking the leap.

I am currently using drellisdee's 1.2.3 recovery console, do I have to switch over to rom manager to install velocity or will I be fine flashing it using drellisdee's? I tried Rom Manager/clockwork in the past and it just didn't work on my phone always crashing.

Yes you can flash velocity using drellisdee's recovery.

Reactions: spiritofjon
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones