• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root me baby one more time

Hey guys, a question:
I just performed this procedure for the second time (first time was to go from 1.5 to 2.1, now i wanted to update from May firmware to June/july fw). But I made a mistake: I forgot to take out SD memory and SIM.

The phone seems to be working fine, but should I repeat the process again, without SD&SIM, just to be safe?
The removal of the SD and SIM is purely pre-cautionary. IE to prevent loss of data on the SD. Now that I run Apps2SD, I leave the SD in when performing upgrades etc.

Your phone should be fine.

Upvote 0
Is it perfectly legal to update firmware to unofficial versions as =long as it isnt rooted? How do I unroot? It still needs to be 1.5.
Legal is a bit strong, no-one is going to prosecute you for having a modded firmware on your phone. I understand why you want to revert back to 1.5, as you wish to return the phone, but as long as it's in perfect working order, I don't see your problem. Just install 2.1 JD1, as this is pretty much the closest to the official 2.1.

Upvote 0
I am increasingly looking at manually updating to 2.1 and rooting my Spica. I do have another question though :

Is it OK NOT to have your SIM and SD cards in while doing it ?
Well you're not going to fubar them. Removing them is just a precaution in case you delete data you wanted. But in reality the whole root process is better carried, knowing you're going to lose all your data.

So backup important data first.

Upvote 0
I have tried different combinations of SD and SIM card in and out and I am still not able to get anywhere.

Just to be perfectly clear that I am not pressing the wrong keys...

Volume Down button is the button on the left hand side of the phone, the button closest to the bottom of the screen.

The camera button is on the lower right hand side.

The power off button is the thing that looks like a telephone handset with a circle with a vertical line through it.

Hold these 3 down together and you get to the download screen, right?

Not for me.

Does anyone know if wavesecure will prevent the phone from going into this mode? That is the only thing I can think of.

Connie

Upvote 0
Seriously, it has to be off??? Darn I missed that instruction!

Maybe I shouldn't attempt this given I cannot figure out step 2.

Connie
Sorry, I'll add that to the instructions. You can also check out some of the videos on Youtube on rooting your phone for a rought idea of what's involved. Below is a rough guide on how to do it. Be aware, the the video refers to earlier files. See my OP for up to date versions.

Root Guide

Upvote 0
Thank you Beerkan. I was able to get it to work after that one hiccup. I think the language that I downloaded in was not Dutch. Either that or they changed the wording in the settings menu items (but I knew generally where to go so I just had to try a couple of menus before I changed the locale). But other than that it was very easy.

Connie

Upvote 0
After the Odin Start with the right files, I do not see the green bar go and the message stops after:
Download Start...
<0> Create File...
<1> StartThread Detected : 1
<2> StartThread Detected : 0
<3> StartThread Detected : 0
<4> StartThread Detected : 0
<5> StartThread Detected : 0
<6> StartThread Detected : 0
<7> StartThread Detected : 0
<8> StartThread Detected : 0
<1> setup connection...

:|

Upvote 0
After the Odin Start with the right files, I do not see the green bar go and the message stops after:
Download Start...
<0> Create File...
<1> setup connection...

:|

Aha! I had this exact same problem and I spent quite a bit of time searching the internet for the solution to no avail - but! I figure out the solution for myself and its really simple.

I put Odin in compatability mode (right click -> properties -> compatability) for Windows XP service pack 3. THEN, right click and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

That should solve it :cool:

Reactions: Beerkan
Upvote 0
Aha! I had this exact same problem and I spent quite a bit of time searching the internet for the solution to no avail - but! I figure out the solution for myself and its really simple.

I put Odin in compatability mode (right click -> properties -> compatability) for Windows XP service pack 3. THEN, right click and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

That should solve it :cool:
Added to Root Guide install instructions. :)

Upvote 0
I've several goes at this so far, tried rebooting my laptop but all I can get to is...

Download Start...
<0> Create File...
<1> setup connection...

Have tried removing all the files needed and installing and extracting them again but nothing!

Tried the compatability thing and run as admin, but not happening at the moment?

Any suggestions? I'm happy to admit that I could just be a moron.

Upvote 0
Are you on windows 7 or XP? Usually this one is fixed by rebooting the computer but you did that already!

Assuming the drivers are correctly installed, try this:

1. Phone and USB cable completely unplugged
2. Phone in download mode
3. Start Odin, make the selections
4. Start to plug the USB cable to the phone first
5. Plug the other end to the PC
6. Wait that Odin get the COM message, once you have it press start

I don't why but I swear that Odin wouldn't work if I was plugging the USB cable the other way around (PC first)! ... but it could just be a coincidence!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! Im on windows 7.

Trying that now. How long roughly is is supposed to take bearing in mind I was already running 2.1 so have skipped the first bit of the guide. Just concious that it says it should be faster than doing the full thing which is supposed to take around 3 mins?

Also for PDA settings im choosing this file --> i5700_LK2-08_PDA.tar is that right?

Upvote 0
Yes, that's correct.... If I remember correctly, Odin gave me the pass message after 6 minutes although I'm sure it was all finished well before that (yes, about 3-4 minutes!).
Do you have the 2.1 version with the battery icon or the circle icon with the %? I thought I was on the latest 2.1 but I was wrong because I still had the battery icon!

If you are on win7, try with and without running it as administrator.... I did it without the other day and the only difference (as far as I could tell) was that I had the chinese path message (which you can just ignore).

Upvote 0
All sorted now! Cheers for you help SuperFred, turns out that NPS was running in the background automatically every time I connected the phone! Everything started happening once I'd made sure it was off and that! Just arsing about with my APN settings, think I've got them sorted but we'll see. Thanks to Beerkan for the guide as well, it was really easy, I was just f*cking it up!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones