• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Running a 10 Miler...

Kelmar

Done by choice
Nov 28, 2009
I used to run a few miles every day. I met my wife, moved cross country, stopped running and, eventually, put on more weight than I would care to admit.

When the weight hit I realized that something needed to change.... Running, which had always been enjoyable and relaxing to me, seemed like a great place to start.

... Long story short, I'm losing the weight I wanted to lose and an getting back in shape. To "celebrate" I decided I'm going to sign up for a 10 mile race that takes place in a few months. I'm not racing to "win" but rather to enjoy life and as a way to say "I'm reaching my goals."

The catch is... I've never ran in a race before and would appreciate any ON TOPIC or supportive insight and advice that others who have ran in races before may have.

TIA!!

I used to run a few miles every day. I met my wife, moved cross country, stopped running and, eventually, put on more weight than I would care to admit.

When the weight hit I realized that something needed to change.... Running, which had always been enjoyable and relaxing to me, seemed like a great place to start.

... Long story short, I'm losing the weight I wanted to lose and an getting back in shape. To "celebrate" I decided I'm going to sign up for a 10 mile race that takes place in a few months. I'm not racing to "win" but rather to enjoy life and as a way to say "I'm reaching my goals."

The catch is... I've never ran in a race before and would appreciate any ON TOPIC or supportive insight and advice that others who have ran in races before may have.

TIA!!

The only suggestion I can give is to train and know your limits. Even if you can't run the full ten right now. Train yourself to go a little further each day and take it light no heavy running. Do breathing exercises and stretches. I admit I haven't ran in over a hundred years (lol) however when I was running that is how I did it. oh and drink only enough to rehydrate any thing else will cramp you up and hurt you.

When training for a 10 k I would run a couple of miles and then walk a mile run a couple then walk a mile. Then it went to running three miles and walking a mile. I just kept increasing as I felt my body could handle. Good luck to you.

Reactions: Kelmar
Upvote 0
Thanks!

I'm currently doing, on average, two or three 10k runs a week using a run 5-or-10 then walk 1 pace. Trying to walk at least every day that I'm not running to keep the blood flowing and legs healing. :)

10k is still a long way from a 10 miler though. :/

Upvote 0
I think its going to be more of a tour for you, everyone who is competing are going to be up ahead.
I would suggest to get a good stretch especially your hamstrings. There are great youtube videos. Do it before and after training. Do not push your limits while training 10% increase in distance aftet each run is enough. Do not run everyday, your muscles need a recovery jog every second day.

Reactions: Kelmar
Upvote 0
I'm not a runner but was a cyclist. My thought, after proper training, the most important thing in your run is to run your race. Knowing your pace and not being influenced by other participants is of utmost importance in a group endeavour. Your race.... your pace. It's easy to be caught up in what the others are doing and abandon what your muscles are trained to do. The idea is to finish one's first race.

Reactions: Kelmar and Granite1
Upvote 0
I know long distance running is a little different than playing Soccer (football) or Rugby, but I'd like to make a suggestion. :)

Throw some sprints in there too. I played rugby for about 4 or 5 years, and we used to sprint like idiots. 100 - 100M sprints at least once a week. It really built up our wind, and running for long distances became easy after that. :)

Good luck on your quest Kelmar, I wish I had the intestinal fortitude to start running again!!! :D

Reactions: argedion and Kelmar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones