• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S3 Developer's Edition vs. GNex on VZW

I saw the S3 developer edition news yesterday, too.

But, in order to keep this appropriate to the GNex area, we need to keep it tangentially related to the Galaxy Nexus (although there is also Device/Carrier Comparisons - Android Forums that a thread like this could end-up in).

I'll start us out :) ;):

I'm still very happy with my Galaxy Nexus, but I really don't know to much about the S3 at this point to be that excited about it.

Do you basically end-up with a more up-to-date GNex if you get the S3 developer edition?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The S3 has a nice screen (it's freakin' huge) and a good processor... plus, calls sounded better than on my GNex.

However, my phone is an actual phone maybe 3% of the time. So calls sounding better didn't trump the locked bootloader, or the terribly uncomfortable form factor. It's too thin and wide.

I don't think the developer edition will help the S3 dev community very much. The GNex community is so active because every single Galaxy Nexus can be unlocked. The S3 community is going to end up with a small handful of unlocked devices, and the majority of people are going to want their subsidized, full-warranty devices.

My prediction: the dev community for the S3 will be primarily based around the bootloader hacks that they're currently working on. The Galaxy Nexus community is still going to reign supreme, simply because every device is open - no hacks required.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I saw the S3 developer edition news yesterday, too.

But, in order to keep this appropriate to the GNex area, we need to keep it tangentially related to the Galaxy Nexus (although there is also Device/Carrier Comparisons - Android Forums that a thread like this could end-up in).

I'll start us out :) ;):

I'm still very happy with my Galaxy Nexus, but I really don't know to much about the S3 at this point to be that excited about it.

Do you basically end-up with a more up-to-date GNex if you get the S3 developer edition?

Thanks!

We just got one yesterday. I'm very happy with my GN as well, especially being on JB. The sgs3 is a nicer phone in every way for me. Sparing the details, yeah, I think it is an updated GN. Like anything with tech advancement, I expected it to be. And so the world turns :)

Upvote 0
I will be honest, a developer edition running stock Jelly Bean sounds pretty fantastic. I love the bigger screen, and I'm sure the S4 would be a nice upgrade.

PS this is sounding more and more like a comparo thread.

PSS And with Dabitz being so kind as to rename the thread, it now IS a comparo thread, and moved to the Device/Comparison Forum :) Thanks Dabitz!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones