• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160 Guide to Flash Firmware

Hey Smokey,

Your tutorial was really helpful man!
I followed the same steps moved to MB4 first and then MC8(BTU) and its working awesome. I have got 600+ RAM.

Btw, I am in Singapore but the phone is Polish, exported here and not through the regular telco/samsung channels and its working fine.

Thanks man.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Flashing Stock Jelly Bean
MB2/MB4 and MC8

6-Now you can flash the MC8 firmware.

-To flash MC8 is only One package that you insert in "PDA".
(No partition/No pit file) and the dll file in the folder is not needed on Odin.

#: If you are updating your phone from the "TMN MC8 Rom" to the new "MC8 BTU".
All you need to do is flash the new firmware straight on top of the old firmware and remember to do a factory reset in recovery mode after updating your phone.

hi smokey,
how do i know if im updating from "TMN MC8 Rom" ??

and also how to backup my phone on step 1? do i need to use kies??
sorry new to android.

Upvote 0
hi smokey,
how do i know if im updating from "TMN MC8 Rom" ??

and also how to backup my phone on step 1? do i need to use kies??
sorry new to android.

Hi @DarnJhud,
:) Welcome to Android.

*To find out the Android firmware you are using on your phone:
Just go in "Settings / About device" and you find the:
-Android version:
-Baseband version:
-Kernel version:
-Build number:

*To find out if you are updating from the "TMN JB MC8 Rom" all you need to do is look for the TMN bloatware. Or reboot your phone and you will see the TMN logo in the boot animation.

*Backup your phone:
-you can backup your phone with Kies.
-You can use Google to backup your contacts, and apps from the play store will come back again as well.
-You can also connect your phone to your pc and "copy" all folders from both internal and external storage to your pc... (pictures,movies,music,etc.).

Or if your phone is already rooted?
You can do the backup with any dedicated app, like: "Titanium backup"...

I hope all goes well for you.

Reactions: DarnJhud
Upvote 0
thank you sir smokey, no im not rooted yet. but im planning to follow ur guide to easy root :)

last question b4 i start wat version of Odin do i need on Ace 2?

Edit: don't mind my question sir Smokey.
already on JB thank you for your guide! :)

will now try to root my device on your other post. will give you my feedback when im done.
thanks again God Bless you :)

Upvote 0
New unbranded firmware released today:

Model: GT-I8160
Version: Android 4.1.2
Changelist: 1106830
Build date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013
Product Code: DBT
PDA: I8160XXMF1
CSC: I8160OXXMF1
MODEM: I8160XXMF1

To obtain 624mb ram:
- You need to flash (MB2/MB4+PIT) first.
If you already have 624mb ram?
- Than all you need is to flash the (MF1) on top of the firmware you already using.
- You can also flash the (MF1) on top of the (MC8) with 624mb ram.
And the Ram values remain the same.

Unverified:
...Apparently you can flash this on top of a (Clean GB Rom) and obtain 624mb ram.
(But that is something I can't verify).

Beware:
If you reverted from JB to GB before and try to flash this now without the (MB2/MB4+PIT).
(You will only get 482mb ram), and that is even if you use Kies.

Performance:
*The Rom feels stable and with some little differences from the (MC8).
"There is a second boot loader"
*Noticed little less lag to start
*Downside is that there is no shortcut icons on the lock screen.

:D ...So I'm back to the MC8 again.

Upvote 0
New unbranded firmware released today:

Changelist: 1016990
Build date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:57:50 +0000
Product Code: TUR
PDA: I8160XXME7
CSC: I8160OJVME2
MODEM: I8160XXME7

* Is older than the German Rom.
* The ME7 "Changelist: 1016990" is identical to the MC8.
* But apparently there are some changes in the slide down task bar. (Audiophile) shortcuts.
And the lock screen have shortcuts like the MC8.

Upvote 0
New firmware for O2 Ireland.

Build date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 09:19:26 +0000
Product Code: O2I
CSC: I8160O2IMF1

Looks like is branded firmware.
But is interesting that O2 choose the MF1 instead of the MC8...

Upvote 0
New firmware for O2 Ireland.

Build date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 09:19:26 +0000
Product Code: O2I
CSC: I8160O2IMF1

Looks like is branded firmware.
But is interesting that O2 choose the MF1 instead of the MC8...

Oooo, O2 branded?? I'd be tempted to give that a spin as I'm an O2 customer anyway and it seems like they're using the more stable firmware.

That being said my phone seems to be stable with the setup I have on it so it's probably not really with messing around with Odin some more. Besides, on my next upgrade in just under 2 years time I'll be looking at the Nexus 4 or whatever the equivalent is by then.

Upvote 0
followed the guide, is this correct?

because on those packages there is no PDA just CODE and CSC, and my phone now has this:

Phone: unknown
IMEI: unknown
Baseband: unknown

I tryied flashing back to GB but still, problem persist, Please I need answers asap

??? Can you explain what you did???
The question or explanation you posted is too vague to understand...

...I assume you are talking about (MB2/MB4+PIT) ???
If so...
- Place the PIT file (I provided) in PIT.
- CSC file in CSC.
- And the remaining file in PDA.

If you are flashing any other firmware ?
It will be only one package (md5) and you place it in PDA on Odin...

*Please read the instructions and the guides provided before you try to flash firmware.
*Follow the instructions carefully and if you have questions or doubts???
(Ask first before you do anything).

Beware, if your phone is from (Hong Kong)? Than you have a problem.
Phones from Hong Kong are different and the radios operate differently from the rest of the world phones...

Upvote 0
I need to stress this point again guys..

Even with guides present if you're not 100% confident you know EXACTLY what you're doing then DON'T DO IT! Jelly Bean update is just not worth it. If you approach flashing via Odin half-baked not sure of what you're doing then there's every chance you WILL brick your phone and/or cause way more harm than good.

Just because guides are on here to help you manually flash firmware via Odin it's still not the recommended method. Advanced users only, you could say.

If you still insist on manually flashing then read up. When you think you've read up enough read some more. Then read up a little extra. Then when you've read till your eyes are bleeding look up videos on YouTube. Read your phone's manual. Get a complete understanding of it. Watch YouTube reviews and demos of it. Study Odin. Learn exactly what it is and how it works. Learn the different firmware components. What they are and what they do. Once you think you've learned all you can double-check, research some more and try to learn that little bit extra.

That sound like a lot of work to you? Then just don't bother at all because it's quite honestly not worth the hassle. Helps if you're quite the techie and pick up on these things fast. Many people may report success stories but that's because they're careful and know what they're doing. Manually flashing firmware is still incredibly risky and potentially dangerous to your phone.

Also don't root if you don't know why your rooting or exactly what the benefits are. Rooting, if done incorrectly can also risk bricking your device and even if successful voids your warranty so be prepared for those consequences. Of your phone goes funny, you'll get no replacements or support if you're rooted. Unrooting can solve this but if you're unsure better not to root in the first place.

Apologies with the long lecture but with a few people mentioning things going wrong it felt worth repeating.

Reactions: Smokey Mc Pot
Upvote 0
Thanks for the guide Smokey, managed to upgrade fine to JB with 624MB.

I think the only bit that caught me out was your point 4)

4-open Odin and insert the "PIT file, PDA file and CSC file".
(Remember to extract the files from the zip folders before you use them in Odin)

when using Odin 3.07 and picking the PDA and CSC files. As I'd extracted them I was getting errors over picking the individual .md5 files - when I picked the actual unzipped .tar files I had it worked a treat.
Then upgraded with the one file at part 6 for MC8 fine.
Rooted fine, then added Nova Launcher to use instead of Samsung one which I had on my old custom rom'd Huawei Ascend.
Phones running great - thanks for this guide as its been so useful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones