• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Ace 'not connected'

pabz

Lurker
Aug 15, 2011
Hi everyone! I'm new to Android, having just bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace, and I am already struggling on a fairly crucial point.

I have installed Kies and New PC Studio, however...

When connected to any of the above operating systems on 2 different computers the phone charges but does not recognise the PC / Mac and the PC / Mac does not recognise the phone, which of course means that Kies and New PC studio do not detect it either. So, among other problems, I cannot currently receive any necessary software updates through these programs.

Kies does not say 'connecting': it behaves as if nothing has changed when the phone is plugged in.

I have read that by bringing down the top menu (on the phone) and selecting the USB mode this would solve it, but the USB mode is not even present on this menu! I have tried with USB debugging mode on AND off.

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling all software on the PC / Mac, downloaded the USB drivers for the phone, installed them, shutting the phone, PC and Mac down and restarting...

I tried booting in Windows 7 safe mode, and the phone was recognised as a mass storage device but when I clicked on the icon I got the following message: "insert disk into mass storage disk".

I can unplug the mem card and download files onto that using an SD card adapter, but naturally I would like the phone and computer to communicate via USB to ensure firmware updates and other basic features are possible.

I am happy to have a solution on for Mac Os Leopard, Windows Xp or Windows 7 for now, but I primarily use Leopard, so that would be ideal.

Any help will be appreciated. I have to say that I am pretty disappointed that this phone does not fully work 'out of the box', even though I love using it as it is. Long searches online have led me to other forums where people are complaining of the same problem, but no solutions are posted.

Please help! (sorry for the long post, but I want to save time by giving you all the necessary info..!)

Pabz

I was in a similar position to you a couple of weeks agowhenI got this phone new. Nothing worked at all - when I connected to either my laptop or PC I wasn't even getting them to recognise a device had been plugged in. Very frustrating. Then after about 3 hours of trying to fix this I went to recharge and it didn't even do that.

I went to a network shop who said that the USB connector on this phone can be very hit or miss, and I got a replacement handset. When I connected this everything worked first time with no need to use Kies or anything (tho it may have left some files on my PC after I uninstalled it).

So my advice if it is a new handset is to ask for a replacement.

Upvote 0
Interesting..
I had the same problem for my ace. But in my case it wasnt a handset problem. The problem was within my computer.
I uninstalled kies. Did a registry and temp folder cleaning. Then reeboted the computer and installed kies again. Then i first installed the device drivers through kies. And then connected my ace.
Now it works like a charm..

Upvote 0
After try everything you can thing about this finnaly work!
You will need ODIN 4.38, first firmware (you can download from samfirmware.com)S5830XXJLC

1.Remove your SIM and Memory card
2.Load ODIN in your PC, and load files from S5830XXJLC.rar (all of them!)
3.Connect your Phone whit the PC via data cable and enter Download mode (Volume -; Home Button; Power Button)

note: if don't work, try another USB slot, my phone don't accept back USB's and i succed to connecting to front one!

4.Now ODIN should found your phone (your pc will "ring") and after your PC found your phone, just disconnect and restart you phone :)

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I have spent the last 2 days trying to work out how to connect my Galaxy Ace to my PC to transfer music, but finally have an answer that may work for you after speaking to the Samsung helpdesk.

Firstly there was some good advice I read on here about un-mounting the SD card. This registered my device to Kies in the first instance. Try this:
Settings / SD card and phone storage / Un-mount SD card
*then

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones