• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung GS4 Bricked. Odin Firmware flash says "invalid ext4 image"

nathan968

Lurker
Jul 19, 2013
My new Samsung GS4 google edition no longer works.

I have no idea how I got here but the point is, this is my situation:

My GS4 boots straight into the recovery. I have installed different recoveries, including CWM and TWRP. Both flash from odin with no problem. I can install a ROM via either recovery but when I reboot it still goes straight into recovery. I have tried all types of data wipes and cahe wips, none of those work either. I have also tried using a PIT file and a kernal file instead and with the system firmware md5 file. I have also tried all these in Odin v3.07 and Odin v1.85 with the same results.

I have downloaded a number of stock images specifially for my phone (only differece in them is that they have different country codes). I read that they all should work and when I try to flash it via Odin I get the error "FAIL! (Ext. 4)" in the odin messsage window and my phone says "ODIN: invalid ext4 img"

Does anyone know how to get this to work? or another alternative to fix my phone.

Any help is appriciated.

Since this looks like it will be more of a help thread, I've moved it to the S4 GE root forum.

Since the S4 GE is only available in the US, I'm curious as to why you're seeing different country codes. The model number you should be looking for is I9505G. I'll take a quick look at sammobile and see. Also, when you flashed the pit file, did you flash it with the factory image or by itself. You should always flash a pit with the image or else that can really cause big problems.

Reactions: nathan968
Upvote 0
I did download an image from sammobile and it was for the I9505 model number. I was just confused on the wording for that.

As for the PIT file, I know I have tried flashing the PIT file with the stock firmware and it did not work. Honestly, I might have flashed the PIT file by itself at one point.

Does that mean that I have permanatly bricked my phone?

Upvote 0
That's a great find! I appriciate you helping me out!

Turns out they have taken that specific file off of the site for some reason!

So if I could find the factory image for GT-I9505G and NOT the one for GT-I9505 you think it will fix my phone?

Yeah, that's what we need to find. That was the only possible complete image that I've found so far though. :(

Upvote 0
Reactions: jhawkkw
Upvote 0
Okay so this page says it has the modem? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2342377&page=11

and this page it looks like someone re-posed that same image on MEGA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2342377&page=13

I am downloading the one from MEGA. So do I need a PIT file? or do I just flash that rar file in the PDA Section of Odin?

Yes, because the pit files are different, you will want to flash the pit in the pit section for the 9505G, along with the full image in pda. If a modem flash is required and isn't part of the pda image, then that goes in the phone section. Also, you'll probably need to extract the rar because odin usually flashes .tar files, not rars

Upvote 0
Okay so in the file there is a pit file, one that says CSC, one that says MODEM, and one that says PLATFORM. Where do I put the PLATFORM file?

Exact File Names:
BOOTLOADER_I9505GUEUBMFP_968842_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
MODEM_I9505GUEUBMFP_968842_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
CSB_signed_Fusion3_GED_0610_V2.pit
CSC_XAR_I9505GXARBMFP_968842_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
PLATFORM_I9505GUEUBMFP_968842_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones