• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Note 4 Edge automatically going from silent to ringer after call

Gents,

I think I may have found a bug with the latest update, but I'm not sure. For whatever reason I received an update notification, before I was on my way to work. The download finished, but I opted to "Remind me later" with regard to the installation. Wouldn't you know it, the upgrade started automatically about 2 hours later while I was in a meeting...and then, all hell seemed to break loose.

I seem to be having numerous issues, but the most annoying issue is one that has to do with my ringer. When I get into work, I place my phone on vibrate, or sometimes, silent (no vibrate). However, I started noticing that something was turning the volume back to ringer, without my input. This was happening each day, with me taking detailed notes as to when it was happening.

I haven't added any applications that I feel are a direct connection to this issue. Additionally, I currently have the following:
Samsung Note 4 Edge
Android v6.0.1
Android Security Patch: August 1, 2016
Kernel version: 3.10.40-8932341
Build number: MMB29M.N915AUCU2DPH5

Last night, I figured out exactly how this all occurs. Please keep in mind that I do use the call reject list to reject solicitors and debt collectors from calling. If they call, the call is auto rejected, but for purposes of this discussion, it still counts as an incoming call.

1) Put phone on vibrate or silent (both have the same results)
2) Call the phone (no need to answer)
3) End call either before or after leaving a voicemail
4) After the call has ended, the phone automatically switches from vibrate or silent to full ringer

I can demonstrate the above results from any phone, and the phone still changes to audible mode.

Another point to consider...I current use a Samsung Gear 2 Neo watch with my phone, and have had this watch for well over a year...before I got the phone even. This issue showed up immediately after the latest update (within a couple hours, or whenever the first call came in).

Does anyone know why this is happening??

No clue from me, but I can offer a work around until you resolve the "real problem"

download MacroDroid and have it sense "end call"
then have Action select Volume, and reset Ringer to zero.
Name the macro something

when you want the macro to run, enable MacroDroid or just the one macro.
disable the macro when you want to hear the ringer.

MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

Upvote 0
Thank you...that sounds like a decent option, although I am skeptical about running certain apps until I have vetted them completely, and then some. I will look at this one, as this issue is definitely a nuisance.

So, more to the story...there are a number of triggers that cause the phone to change from silent/vibrate to sound. I don't know what they all are, but there are multiple. Sometimes, I look at the phone, I have some notifications and wouldn't you know it, the phone is no longer on vibrate. If I was around the phone 24/7, I would be more on top of my game, but I'm not...work requires me to leave my phone on my desk.

Here are SOME of the triggers that I have noticed, that seem to be consistent
1) If I receive a meeting invite, my Google Calendar is updated, and my gmail shows a notification. The first one to pop up (Calendar??) vibrates, the second (gmail?) then makes an audible tone, as if the first shut off the vibrate.
2) ANY calls (outgoing/incoming), immediately after the call ends, the call goes into audible.
3) Phone also goes audible when the phone restarts (something I try to do on a routine basis).

If anyone else is having the same issue, or knows of someone with a Samsung Note 4 Edge with the recent update, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update: I have figured out that if I play a game for some period of time, the ringer is turned on. I'm not sure how long, but if I play a game for at least 3-4 minutes, and as much as an hour, the ringer will be changed from vibrate to ringer.

This is a VERY annoying problem to have! For the record, Macro Droid isn't as affective as I had hoped. Turns out multiple triggers (of which I haven't identified them all), need to be identified.

Upvote 0
PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE SOLVED!!!!

First of all, I did nothing different to fix the problem on my own. I feel that I have spent hours exhausting every possible solution, as a ringing phone is often disturbing to my peers.

This weekend, I was sent an update (wishing I could turn a couple of these off) and this morning, I noticed the problem was solved. I have even regression tested the ringing problem and by all accounts, the problem is back to how it should be.

For full disclosure, my current information is as follows:

*Existing Information*
Samsung Note 4 Edge
Android v6.0.1
Android Security Patch: August 1, 2016
Build number: MMB29M.N915AUCU2DPH5

*New Information*
Samsung Note 4 Edge
Android v6.0.1
Android Security Patch: January 1, 2017
Build number: MMB29M.N915AUCS2DPK3

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if anyone is following this thread, but I think it's worth noting various details.

This weekend, I did a factory reset on the nearly 2 year old phone. All went well...or so I thought. Monday morning...this problem returned!!! I couldn't believe it. I was up to date and everything. Well, the ONLY thing that had changed between phone calls was an app that I installed. So, uninstalled...problem solved. But, being the intuitive person that I am, I reinstalled the app to prove I could repeat the issue, then possibly alert the developer. Nope...reinstalling the last app, or any app I believe, toggled the problem. Problem is currently gone.

Basically, if you ever have this issue, try uninstalling an app, perhaps the last installed app, and reinstall it. If that works for you, please update this thread.

That's all for now folks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones