• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help screen not auto turning off

jd2210

Lurker
Aug 31, 2011
Hello all.

I bought a eee pad transformer a few days ago and am having an issue I can't seem to get fixed.

The first day the screen turned off after a minute of no use but today it won't. Under the setting I have it set for "screen turns off automatically after 1 minute" under the timeout option.

The screen will go darker a few seconds at the 1 minute mark and the a message appears saying "failed to update my location- no signal" and the screen goes bright again.

I have tried turning off all 3 options under the settings with regards to locations so I'm not too sure where it is coming from.

I have installed "advanced task killer" and killed every app I could and it still does it.

If I do a full shutdown and reboot it will still not autoshut off.

I'm convinced it has something to do with my GPS or some GPS app, since the "failed to update my location" seems to be making the screen come back on again. I have My Tracks, Backcountry,Earth, Maps, Places, Navigation, and GPS essentials.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well I solved it. I thought I'd post the answer here though in case anyone googles this and wants to know what to do. the culprit was weatherbug time and temp. I had uninstalled it earlier but the little bugger was still in there somehow. I needed to uninstall it from settings-applications-manage applications-. Hope this saves someone some grief.

Upvote 0
Thanks for letting us know what the answer was, it may save someone else some searching.

You've probably already figured this out, but dragging something from the home screen to the trashcan does not delete the app, it just removes it from the home screen. To truly remove an app from your device you have to do the 'manage applications' step that you mentioned above. Though it is a trifle odd that the widget kept 'working' even though you'd removed it from your home screen.

Upvote 0
I had actually uninstalled it by going to the "apps" button on the top right of the home screen and then grabbing it and going over to "uninstall". For my other apps that has worked. I noticed on the main screen if I do the same thing is says "remove" instead of "uninstall" and then I still saw it in my apps when I went there so I stopped doing that.

I'm not too sure hwy it was still running but it's fixed now so I'm happy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones