• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Server/network issue

I've got a vCenter server that I connect to through VMWare Infrastructure Client. Having connections issues at the moment, the server is running dual NICs, one going to the front side network and the second runs through the backside. The backside NIC is no longer passing traffic for some reason.

My belief is someone damaged the fiber that comes out of it since they were mapping out our physical layout earlier today. When I attempt to ping the default gateway I get the "PING: transmit failed error code 1314.

Now I know that error can be fixed easily if you use DHCP by either right click>repair on the connection or the "netsh winsock reset" command but we have all the backside IP addresses statically assigned.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure its a damaged fiber cable but I was just looking for some extra input or a confirmation to let me know I'm not crazy. I'd ask my co-workers but I'm night shift and the only other person that works with me is a boot Lance Corporal that has been in the Corps for 1 month.

*Edit* - Additionally I CANNOT restart this server without authorization from higher, seeing as its night shift there is no "Higher" to authorize it.

Finally fixed the problem, thanks though guys.

SUroot, just fyi it wasn't a shared default gateway. One was private IP ranged and the other was the frontside "public" network.

It was sort of what I thought it was, the fiber link wasn't broken but being in Afghanistan the ports tend to clog up and stop working. We cleaned out the port, restarted the server (Once the higher powers finally came in) and its all good now. Our preventative maintenance schedule isn't sufficient enough to combat all the sand >.<

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones