• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SHould I take off my screen protector? Hows your evo holding up?

ImaYam

Sep 23, 2010
NYC
Naturally, as with most of my phones, cams, gadgets.. I get a case and screen protector, and being that the EVO is my first touchscreen phone, I got both, but now I miss the feel of the glass. I dont really wear the case anymore outside of social events where it may fall (it hasnt yet) but im wondering if I should take off the screen protector.

My dillemma is that the protector is pretty scratched (think the back of used ipod), and has a nasty "scribble" from a set of keys my phone was sitting on.

So apart from drops or real 'damage', does the screen protector protect the glass form actually scratching, or does the glass work as advertised and holds its luster? Id appreciate input from nude-evo owners.

Ive had the phone for 5 weeks now...

I bought the screen protector and case from best buy when I bought my evo4g the first day they came out. Had the screen protector on their for a while, eventually took it off because there was a lot of dust collecting underneath the screen protector. I'm glad I did, the glass feels great.

Upvote 0
I've had mine since June. I had the screen protector on for a day but didn't like how it felt so took it off. I do keep it in an iPod pouch when I throw it in my purse because of keys/misc items, but haven't had a problem with it naked in a jeans pocket or other pocket inside a bag. My bezel still looks good. It does have a hairline crack near the volume button but it sounds like that isn't uncommon. Had a very minor drop the other day and it did get a tiny ding on the bezel as well but it is barely noticeable.

Upvote 0
I have had mine for 5 weeks now and have not used any protection from day one. My sprint guy gave me a screen protector the day I got it and even though I cleaned the screen before I went to put it on their was one little piece of dust that caused a little air bubble, so with that and hating the feel of it the screen protector only lasted 20 min on my phone. So what I do is just make sure that I never have anything else in the pocket that I carry it in not even a single coin and also make sure to have nothing like sand or grit. Then at the end of the day I give her a through cleaning sometimes with a baby wipe and then a soft cotton cloth and when all done you would be hard pressed to tell mine from a new one. Also I have heard other horror stories of people cracking their camera lenses by setting it down to hard so I am careful about that, as even in some reviews I have read that it is kind of a design flaw that the camera protrudes out the back and therefore venerable to damage. I guess to summarize if you treat your phone like the little laptop that it is then you should be able to go NUDE as they say.

Upvote 0
I got mine in July, had a nice expensive Ultra Crystal Clear screen protector from Steinheil and didn't like the way my fingerprints left a rainbow effect. I took it off and never looked back.

I only keep it in my front t-shirt pocket while driving a fork truck outside and in my factory, and I have never gotten a scratch of any kind on it.

I inspect it daily, if I see one tiny scratch I'll go back to the protector but so far, nothing.

I love the feel of naked glass.

Upvote 0
I have a Phantom Skinz protector, and it has so-called 'self healing' plastic. On my Moment, I had it on there for about a year with no distorting scratches visible. A year of keys, change, bar visits, etc.

It sounds like your protector is made of a hard plastic (mine's soft)... you should try one like mine. I recommend the brand I use, but there's also Zagg, Clearfreak, and Invisible Shield (I think).

Best Buy has some, the others are online.

I think it's best to have at least a film protector on your phone just to help deal with day-to-day abuse.

Upvote 0
Not worth the risk imo. Protected since day one. I have bought several brands and found on ebay a guy who sells a 6 pack of full screen protectors for $6.50. They are awesome. So awesome most can't tell anything is on the screen. Protector 1 has been on now for 3 weeks and has 1 minor scratch.

Its good to see so many having great luck naked....but I will gladdly pay the$ 6.50 to have that added layer of security. If anyone wants a link to the ebay auction pm me. I will send it when we get home from our camping trip

Upvote 0
I have been asked by friends and coworkers with smart phones what my opinion and take on screen protectors is . Its simple , If you work in an office environment most of the time or a fairly clean work place or school alot I dont feel a screen protector is really needed . Now if your work place puts you in an environment that you are always around dirt or chemicals etc etc I advise a screen protector . In my work environment I deal with machinery that does mining operations and half the time I dont know what materials are on the machines including sand and what not . Substances that will or possibly could scratch the glass of the Evo . Two weeks after getting it exactly that happened . Got two hairline scratches on the screen . I went and got an invisible shield and it covered them up couldnt see them anymore . Also is easier to change a screen protector then it is to replace the actual screen of the evo . Your protector is scratched up ? Go buy another set for like 10-15 bucks , and you have a crystal clear screen again . Just my take on it

Upvote 0
My screen has a tiny nick in it from a very light contact with an adjustable wrench (was trying to answer an important call up on a ladder). Got a Zagg Invisible Shield that afternoon which fortunately does a good job of hiding the nick. At first I did not like the feel, but it smoothed out after a few weeks and now bare glass feels strange to me. Another plus to it, my screen was stupid sensitive, you didn't even have to fully touch it and it would register which had me opening all sorts of things and calling people, the Invisible Shield toned it down just enough to where it s still extremely responsive but that doesn't happen nearly as much.

As someone stated before, Gorilla Glass is pretty tough (though not sure if that is what is on the Evo or not), but any sharp corner can wreak havoc with it or any other screen so I would suggest go with one.

Reactions: TazDroid
Upvote 0
THanks guys, Ive deicded ot keep my SP on for a few days. I can still see my screen crystal clear through it, but i just dont like the feel of it. I will keep it on for a few days (its was under 2.00 shipped with the best case for the evo....ever!!) and then ill take it off to see how it rides without the airbag.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones