• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SHould I take off my screen protector? Hows your evo holding up?

There are different quality screen protectors. The ones you put on dry tend to be far inferior than the ones you put on wet.

Phantom Skinz, Zagg, BSE, Ghost Armor are superior wet application skins that are self healing, and do not "wear" like cheap, dry application screen protectors.

Phantom Skinz, in particular, feels like the naked screen, but gives the added protection of scratch protection, finger print / dirt / bacteria protection, and protects the screen from shattering and cutting you, if you drop the phone.

There are tons of benefits to having a screen protector, and they're relatively cheap compared to the price of the phone. So it's very worthwhile to have the right screen protector.

Upvote 0
Had mine naked for a month now, right from the store. The gorilla glass they use in these modern electronics now days will hold up to most anything but diamonds.

Personally, i think screen protectors are a gimmick and a waste of money.....just another thing to rob you of your money.

Evo does not use gorilla glass.

Also, my less than one month old evo had a small scratch in the screen, noticeable and you could feel it with your nail. Not sure where it came from or how.

My screen needed to be replaced anyways because it went defective, and as soon as it was - i put a protector on it, because I know it can be scratched.

Upvote 0
I've sold my like-new cell phones on eBay after keeping them in perfect condition with screen protectors and cases. I don't get that much more for them than the obviously used ones, and actually much less if you add in the cost of the safe-keeping extras.

Nothing looks or feels like a bare phone, and the glass on the Evo is great. I'm a woman (so am not on job sites with tools and ladders like some have mentioned) and am still careful not to throw it in my purse or pocket with other junk, and it still looks like new 2 months later. I love it.

"Drive it like you stole it." (and enjoy)

Upvote 0
i have always had a screen protector on mine and thank god i did....i was in my car and went to put it down in my bag when i stopped at a light it flew out of the bag and onto the floor hitting the lever of my passenger seat that moves it back and forth and i picked it up in horror and saw that my screen protector took the hit and moved the plastic, almost like a rippled scratch.

don't know what my screen would've looked like had the protector not been on....

i keep mine on because i'm a klutz :) i wish i was graceful enough to go naked...

Upvote 0
I don't mind the screen protector so much, but I'm getting a little tired of the skin/case I've got it in. Has anyone stopped using a case (or never did)? My main concern is setting it down on a hard surface so that it "leans" on the camera lens, but maybe that's being too paranoid.

Does the back cover get scratched?

Upvote 0
I don't mind the screen protector so much, but I'm getting a little tired of the skin/case I've got it in. Has anyone stopped using a case (or never did)? My main concern is setting it down on a hard surface so that it "leans" on the camera lens, but maybe that's being too paranoid.

I've spent a lot on cases over the years, but bought a cheap one, Amazon.com: Gizmo Dorks Rubberized Case Cover (Black) for the Sprint HTC EVO 4G: Cell Phones & Accessories: Reviews, Prices & more, strictly for attaching a car mount, and to my surprise, I really like the case. It is almost unnoticeable, but provides protection for the camera lens, and adds a little grip.

Upvote 0

I have the otter box commuter case and recently took it off. My phone feels so much better without it I'm not sure if I'll ever put it back on.
I will be keeping my screen protector on though!

As far as scratches go, I have yet to see any on my device. Knock on wood.

Upvote 0
I've had a Zagg Invisible Shield on mine since I bought it on July 23rd. I always keep change, keys, other stuff in my pockets all the time. Its actually time for a new shield as the one thats on it is pretty trashed. The corners are coming up (due to my crooked application) and they are attracting nasty grime.

I figure it this way, all the crap thats on my Invisibile shield could very well have ended up on my bare screen. I'm very rough on my phone and sometimes sit it where it could fall. So i'm gonna keep one on mine.

Upvote 0
I've spent a lot on cases over the years, but bought a cheap one, Amazon.com: Gizmo Dorks Rubberized Case Cover (Black) for the Sprint HTC EVO 4G: Cell Phones & Accessories: Reviews, Prices & more, strictly for attaching a car mount, and to my surprise, I really like the case. It is almost unnoticeable, but provides protection for the camera lens, and adds a little grip.

That looks nice, but is it thick enough to allow the phone to lie flat on its back, without it leaning on the camera lens? From the picture, it looks as if the lens still protrudes beyond the case.

Upvote 0
That looks nice, but is it thick enough to allow the phone to lie flat on its back, without it leaning on the camera lens? From the picture, it looks as if the lens still protrudes beyond the case.
Now that you mention it, it's pretty close. But I first bought it only to use in conjunction with a car mount system, so I could glue the required flat button on to the back of something besides my phone. It's about the thickness of a dime and does hold the lens high enough to be protected.

I don't have that many posts, so if you're interested, do a quick search. I used all links, but should post a photo of the final result.

Upvote 0
Now that you mention it, it's pretty close. But I first bought it only to use in conjunction with a car mount system, so I could glue the required flat button on to the back of something besides my phone. It's about the thickness of a dime and does hold the lens high enough to be protected.

I don't have that many posts, so if you're interested, do a quick search. I used all links, but should post a photo of the final result.

Thanks. For $3 I don't mind just taking a chance, but it's the shipping cost that's annoying.

Upvote 0
Since 2006, these are the things I have carried in my pocket at various times without screen protectors:

Motorola Razr (had an outside facing glass screen), 2006-2008
Nokia Express Music V. mumblesquat 2008-2009
iPod Touch 2008-2009
Sprint Hero 2009-2010
Evo (only since the start of the month)

Along with these possible antagonists:
Keys
USB Thumb drive

Only the Nokia suffered screen damage, a crack along the right side, from when it got sandwiched in my pocket between my office chair arm and my car key. In related news, the Nokia is the only one of the above that had a plastic screen, not glass. The Touch and the Hero each spent about a year in my pocket. I tried to be conscientious about keeping my keys away from the screen in my pocket but wasn't always. You'd never tell by looking at their screens; they look as smooth as the day I bought them.

I think screen protectors do two things: 1) keep shards of glass from flying everywhere if you do something traumatic enough to shatter the screen and 2) line the pockets of screen protector manufacturers. Maybe if I lived and/or worked in a more rugged environment I'd think about it.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the Evo went with me to the beach twice on my cruise last week and lived in my sandy pocket. Except for fingerprint residue and cat hair, it looks just like when I bought it.

Upvote 0
Ruined the very first version of the iPhone years ago as I didn't have a protector and it got scratched from dropping it. FWIW, eventually it was smashed as it flew out of my hand. :>

Ruined my current Palm Pre and part of the screen has a 1/4 swipe almost across the entire face from something I have yet to figure out.

I guess I am hard on phones but took no chance on my EVO and its got a screen protector.

I wanted to add I left my EVO on the couch and my dogs slept on it. I woke up and was looking for it when I saw part of it sticking out from under one of them. I thought the worst but all it has was a smudge on the screen.

Upvote 0
I used to have one on and always stressed the need for one. I had my phone replaced and haven't bought a new one yet. Although the phone hasn't gotten a single scratch in 3 months I am always worried and will order a new protector. I got scratches on my original iphone within a month of buying it and everyone said it wasn't possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones