• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Small Tablets take over Smart Phones

Why don't small tablets take over the smart phone by just including a bluetooth headset? That way you have your better media cosumption device (maybe a creator as well) and don't look so dorky holding up a huge device up to your face.

Good point. :)

I think, purely my .02, that once the speed and reliability of data makes video calls / chat lag free, better quality, etc. small tablets will overcome the phone. I know once I can just hold my "phone" in my lap and make video calls from there, I'm sold. :D

I can't carry my phone at work, it'd get pulverized. I keep it either in, or on top of my dinner bucket when I'm working. So being able to place said device in my pocket really isn't a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: Torisen
Upvote 0
Some would argue that they already have. If you compare the early android devices (G1 or G2) to current ones (Gnex or Gnote) they have become small tablets. You have to keep in mind they are mobile and are already pushing some people's limits for what is "mobile". Many people wear pants that can't fit a 7" tablet in the pocket, and if you compare the weight of a 7" tablet to a current phone there is quite a difference.

Tabs can get away with having a 7-8 hour or less battery life while phones can't. Tabs also consume battery faster so if you have a 7" phone that has a battery big enough to power the screen, 4G radio, 3G radio, and BT for 8+ hours how much will it weigh and how many people are going to be willing to carry it around?

Reactions: Torisen
Upvote 0
Thank you, good answer, guess I forgot about the battery componet and just put the question out there. Maybe the lapdock deal or things like the Padphone will offer a better alternative.

Some would argue that they already have. If you compare the early android devices (G1 or G2) to current ones (Gnex or Gnote) they have become small tablets. You have to keep in mind they are mobile and are already pushing some people's limits for what is "mobile". Many people wear pants that can't fit a 7" tablet in the pocket, and if you compare the weight of a 7" tablet to a current phone there is quite a difference.

Tabs can get away with having a 7-8 hour or less battery life while phones can't. Tabs also consume battery faster so if you have a 7" phone that has a battery big enough to power the screen, 4G radio, 3G radio, and BT for 8+ hours how much will it weigh and how many people are going to be willing to carry it around?

Reactions: Yeahha
Upvote 0
I think the padphone idea could catch on. The only issue I see with them is the carriers not liking them. They would either have some requirement that you have a tethering plan or a larger data plan to have one. As much as I hate to say it we might need Apple to jump on the idea for it to catch on and hope they don't sue everyone else who makes them out of existance :)

Upvote 0
I can definitely see a 5" (maybe 5.5") phone catching on. It would be in between the smaller tablets and the larger phones. It might also totally flop for all I know. ;)

We should know if the Galaxy Note is ever released in the US. I don't know how it is doing where it has been released but all the reviews I have seen on it are positive

Upvote 0
We should know if the Galaxy Note is ever released in the US. I don't know how it is doing where it has been released but all the reviews I have seen on it are positive

Yeah, I mean I would try one out that is a bit bigger. I carry my phone almost everywhere with me, so a 7" wouldn't be practical. I know a lot of folks just want something thin and lightweight that they can text/call with and do a bit of browsing/other apps. So something larger won't appeal to them.

Upvote 0
Well before I got the kindle fire I figured a 7" phone would be practical but after I got it I doubt that. While I can fit it in the pocket on most of my pants I wouldn't want to sit down with it in there for risk of damaging the device. If it also had to power a radio and BT I don't think I could put it in my pocket since it doesn't fit in most if I have a case on it. It is also rather hefty for being not that much bigger than my phone.

Upvote 0
Well before I got the kindle fire I figured a 7" phone would be practical but after I got it I doubt that. While I can fit it in the pocket on most of my pants I wouldn't want to sit down with it in there for risk of damaging the device. If it also had to power a radio and BT I don't think I could put it in my pocket since it doesn't fit in most if I have a case on it. It is also rather hefty for being not that much bigger than my phone.

Exactly, which is why I was thinking a 5-5.5" would be plausible. Larger, but still small enough to carry around as easily.

Upvote 0
Now if they made a way to link your phone to a tablet or switch between them (i.e carry the smaller phone when convenient, or the tablet when it is better suited) that would totally catch on.................................. :p

Yeahha, your last statement is begging for a joke to be made about it...

Upvote 0
Now if they made a way to link your phone to a tablet or switch between them (i.e carry the smaller phone when convenient, or the tablet when it is better suited) that would totally catch on.................................. :p

Yeahha, your last statement is begging for a joke to be made about it...

The padfone bridges that gap Get the latest update on ASUS Padfone.

LOL I didn't realize that at all :eek: it really wasn't my intent

Upvote 0
The padfone bridges that gap Get the latest update on ASUS Padfone.

LOL I didn't realize that at all :eek: it really wasn't my intent

I wrote the "................... :p" to imply it was already the case. I was trying to be smart and sarcastic and all that... I mean really you can carry the phones we have now and use a tablet when it is convenient as well, which isn't exactly the same thing, but not far away either.

Upvote 0
Why don't small tablets take over the smart phone by just including a bluetooth headset?

Thing is what does one do with the BT headset when one not in a call? Does one keep it on one's ear all the time, or remove and replace it every time when making a call?

That way you have your better media cosumption device (maybe a creator as well) and don't look so dorky holding up a huge device up to your face.

Nah one looks like a Borg Drone instead...Resistance is futile.

Upvote 0
I had a Jabra bt headphone with an LCD display, number memory and it was fully functional to select numbers and dial. I carried my phone in my briefcase and that headset in my shirt pocket, and I could hear it ring. I think it was the BT800.

jabra-bt800_1.jpg

jabra-bt800_2.jpg

Jabra BT800 - Bluetooth Headset Reviews by Mobile Tech Review

So it's a doable plan for some.

Seems like only yesterday that those of us adopting 4.3" screens early on were countering criticisms that our phones were too big. ;) :)

Upvote 0
I had a Jabra bt headphone with an LCD display, number memory and it was fully functional to select numbers and dial. I carried my phone in my briefcase and that headset in my shirt pocket, and I could hear it ring. I think it was the BT800.

jabra-bt800_1.jpg

jabra-bt800_2.jpg

Seems like only yesterday that those of us adopting 4.3" screens early on were countering criticisms that our phones were too big. ;) :)

I've seen the 4.3 inch Samsung Galaxy S2. the phone's physical size didn't seem to be any bigger than the 4 inch Galaxy S. Probably because it's got less bezel. However I've just seen my friend's new Galaxy Tab he bought back from Macau, now that is large, too big to be comfortable for jeans pockets. Nice device though.

Problem with large devices like this, I don't really want to start having to carry a bag around all day. Knowing me it would probably end up getting left in a restaurant somewhere.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

jabra-bt800_1.jpg

jabra-bt800_2.jpg

I went through 4 of those, never worked right(3-4 years ago?)! Then Jabra upped and discontinued it and never released a similar device.

There's definitely a large niche(!?!) market that wants a phablet like the Galaxy Note, though I don't see it being a huge seller due to its poor pocket ability. I do often miss the note taking ability of my old winmo phones/pda's. Personally, a 4-4.5" screen is the absolute limit on what I want to carry everyday. For work/business I could carry something like the Note in a jacket pocket no problem, but on the weekend when I'm in jeans/sweats on a ball field somewhere? No way! Though I use a bt headset from time to time, I can't see myself as one of the wear it all times borg collective either.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I will never, ever wear a BT headset. Sorry, I just think people who do look like jackasses. :cool:
That being said, my Nexus is "probably" the largest I could manage. Haven't handled a Note but have seen a Dell Streak 5. That thing is a beast. We also have a Flyer and NColor, both 7 inches. There's no way I would ever want to carry those things around everywhere like I do with my phone.

Upvote 0
since I heard about the Note.. this what I wanted to do..

keep my evo to use as the smaller phone.. switch back and fourth between the Note and the Evo as needed..

use a bluetooth headset with the Note ..

total size .. the Note might be the biggest a phone can be.
to reduce the bezel and put a bigger screen in.. to 6.5" would be ideal

for one hand use..
they can have a widget that shrinks the screen to 4".. to the bottom corner depending on which way you tilt the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones