• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [SOLVED] Samsung is violating the GPL - FULL details inside

Look at the respond that I got from them.
Dear Customer, Thank you for your interesting and advice on our product. In case of kernel, some of samsung proprietary codes are not included. (codes that are not affected GPL -loadable modules) There''''s no source code covered under GPL 2.0 license in bootloader and some loadable kernel driver. So, kernel booting can be failed. Please understand we do not guarantee opensource code is executable in target device. Our product source code has some proprietary code so we can''''t released full kernel source code for this phone. It would be appreciated if you can understand our situation. We are sorry for not giving you an correct anwser upto your satisfaction.

To my understanding of the gpl any open source software can be modified but the modification then become open source as well. Am I correct in my understanding? If so why is samsung withholding modifications that should be open source?

Upvote 0
I sent a copy of the report to the email provided and got this response :

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us recently about Samsung's GPL violations. We
rely on reports like yours to learn about violations we need to
pursue, and we appreciate the time you took to write to us.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid there's not much that the FSF can do
directly in this specific case. We can only enforce the GPL in cases
where we hold copyright on the software involved. That doesn't seem
to be the case here; they're primarily violating the license on the
kernel Linux.

The gpl-violations.org project may be interested in this case. It's
headed up by Harald Welte, who holds the copyright to the netfilter in
Linux, and they've pursued violations like this in the past. You can
contact them at <license-violation@gpl-violations.org>.

Best regards,

--
Brett Smith
Licensing Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation

Reactions: tiede
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones