• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

speculation, rumors, leaks about EVO release

The videos from CTIA all say its a TFT LCD screen. Those were developer phones though and not final. I could see AMOLED being put in at the end. I think the AMOLED screens use less power? That would be a good thing considering.

I've heard a lot of negative reviews on AMOLED and I've heard a lot of people at CTIA say the Evo's screen is gorgeous, so I'm pretty indifferent to AMOLED. If it had one of Samsung's super-AMOLED then that'd be a different story, but pretty sure that's not the case. Not sure if they're even making the super AMOLED that large yet.

Reactions: billsmed
Upvote 0
ehh thats a half way statement as well because not all of the apps were allowed to be used. There were only a handful and at that they did not work to "full" potential

Exactly, some of the apps that are coded by Sprint/HTC/Google might have already been coded for it.

But developer apps that rely on internet connection have not been coded for WiMax yet.

Hence why the 2.2 SDK might include it.

Upvote 0
The fact that Best Buy is doing any kind of presale, or has a notion of it....tells me that Sprint might be going real BIG on marketing the EVO.

At least in my area, I have never heard of a store doing any sort of presale/reservation at least not for a phone.
For whatever reasons Sprint had for not advertising the Hero like it should have back then, I agree, that this time around, that the marketing for the EVO will be first rate and big.

In fairness, the rudeness and flaming tends to start during two times:

• When people start to get impatient for news, a-la the Incredible

• When a device is released and there is inevitably a subsection of the audience that is underwhelmed and disappointed. The ones who really like a device and those who are disappointed tend to argue over who is a fanboy and who is a shill for the competition. Saw it on the Pre forum and others. I'm sure it will happen here come June. My guesses are battery life and 4G coverage won't live up to some expectations.
Not if I have anything to do/say about that.

If April 16th is the day we'll learn more, then I'll look forward to that day.

Thanks, Jackson.
It will be the best birthday gift I can think of. lol

Hey guys this is wjackson14 thought it was about time i joined in this thread too haha...

Jackson
Welcome, glad to see you here. and I like the username. :D

TS out

Reactions: Supersonical
Upvote 0
Other than the coding to allow 4G I wonder what else 2.2 would bring...maybe a full featured Google Docs app...hell throw in spreadsheets while they're at it :p

I can't wait to see this media blitz because I've been critical of Sprint's marketing...I want them to shut me up!

Welcome Supersonical, glad to have you aboard the EVO 4G train here on AF.

Upvote 0
Hey guys this is wjackson14 thought it was about time i joined in this thread too haha

Yeah the 16th is the date where the facts of the phone will be announced. How? I'm not really sure probably somwhere on their website and all over the T.V. If any of you thought there was a media blast on the droid Sprint is taking media blast to a new level with the Evo. It will be released in early June and pre orders will be taken at best buy in May. The Nexus One will be rleased very shortly prob some time in April. that is very well what that meeting could be about as well on March 31st. Keep you all posted

Jackson

Dude I posted one link from our sprint discussion over here, and you have blown up like crazy. Your not going to have time to keep up with your school work, too busy posting up.... LOL......

Upvote 0
im set on the evo. theres no way i can turn away from dual cameras, android 2.1, 4.3, and everything else.

Yea I HIGHLY doubt I will buy another iphone, unless the thing is literally leaps and bounds above my 3G. One thing that is really awesome is that the Evo is likely to come out first week of June, and the iphone is going to come out June 22nd. This means that it is well in the 30 day trial period with sprint. I will most likely buy the evo on day 1 and wait to play with the iphoneHD, then decide which to keep (99.9999999% chance it will be the Evo :))

Upvote 0
Other than the coding to allow 4G I wonder what else 2.2 would bring...maybe a full featured Google Docs app...hell throw in spreadsheets while they're at it :p

I can't wait to see this media blitz because I've been critical of Sprint's marketing...I want them to shut me up!

Welcome Supersonical, glad to have you aboard the EVO 4G train here on AF.

Wow, I hope they incorporate Google Docs. I've been using it and might not need MS Office once I can use it on my cellphone. :p

Upvote 0
haha i hear you. Verizon will be getting the iphone HD in fall and sprint could end up with the infamous iphone 4G. I will still be getting my evo in 2 months but its just neat to think about

interesting...I'm pretty sure I'm sold on the EVO as well. I think my wife will definitely get the iPhone if it does come to Sprint (she loves her iPod touch) so if it does happen we'll be able to see the good/bad from both phones. Nevertheless this will be a GREAT summer for people looking to switch to Sprint and for those who are due for upgrades. I know a lot of people knock Sprint for their phone selection...so this is for the loyal customers who have stuck around. The wait was well deserved indeed

Upvote 0
haha i hear you. Verizon will be getting the iphone HD in fall and sprint could end up with the infamous iphone 4G. I will still be getting my evo in 2 months but its just neat to think about

no it won't... vzw is getting the CDMA version... for all we know, it could be a CDMA variant of the 3GS...

read some of the articles... they clearly make a distinction between the 4th gen iphone (HD) for at&t or ? being made by Hon Hai Precision Industry... while the CDMA version will be made by Pegatron.... so no guarantee at all that the CDMA version will be HD... I suspect it probably won't... but we shall see.... in any case, at&t i believe still has the rights until end of 2010, so CDMA version is at best a 2011 release...

WSJ: Apple 'developing new iPhone,' plus another for Verizon (update: iPhone HD, front-facing camera?) -- Engadget

Upvote 0
I'm gonna help Supersonical by posting this here:

Sprint schedules mandatory, company-wide meeting for March 31st

He just posted it in the sprint community forums

I'm betting this will be to inform staff about the Nexus One launch and how to deal with customers asking about it, since it won't be in stores but will be getting a lot of attention from the public. Possibly also discussing tiered data plans based on how many GBs of 4g data is used per month, as Hesse hinted at in his keynote interview.

Upvote 0
I'm betting this will be to inform staff about the Nexus One launch and how to deal with customers asking about it, since it won't be in stores but will be getting a lot of attention from the public. Possibly also discussing tiered data plans based on how many GBs of 4g data is used per month, as Hesse hinted at in his keynote interview.
According to TwoSpirits, it has to do with employee stock options.

Upvote 0
not likely. looks at bills post above yours. TS says it is most likely about employee stock options. which in a way makes more sense of why it would be a mandatory company wide meeting.

why the f_ck would anyone care about employee stock options, except the employees... frankly if this is "big" public news, sorry but the news/blog sites have truly reached a new bottom.... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones