• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Starter questions

I went from a iPhone 3G to Samsung Galaxy S the other day, very happy with my move. My iPhone was extremely slow at performing the simplest tasks.

I decided to go to Galaxy S after watching reviews, reviewers explained that the phone is lag-free and very smooth. After a few days owning the phone, I can't see how this is true. I looked in to it and found a method of speeding up the phone, by rooting it and then downloading an update (I can't show the link)

Do those methods actually work?

My other question is, should I have received an SD Card with the phone or is that bought separately?

Edit: Also, I was told about this Swype function and interested in using it, how do I enable it?

Many thanks

I went from a iPhone 3G to Samsung Galaxy S the other day, very happy with my move. My iPhone was extremely slow at performing the simplest tasks.

I decided to go to Galaxy S after watching reviews, reviewers explained that the phone is lag-free and very smooth. After a few days owning the phone, I can't see how this is true. I looked in to it and found a method of speeding up the phone, by rooting it and then downloading an update (I can't show the link)

Do those methods actually work?

My other question is, should I have received an SD Card with the phone or is that bought separately?

Edit: Also, I was told about this Swype function and interested in using it, how do I enable it?

Many thanks

Download a program called "Samsung Kies". Use this to upgrade the Firmware on your phone (plenty of guides online how to do this) and yes, this improves the device alot.

You dont recieve an SD card with the phone, so buy one (up to 32gb) if u want more storage space... I'd reccomend a class 6 card or above for HD recording/playback.

I've found swype to be amazing for one hand texting but if u can hold the phone in landscape and use two hands the standard keyboard is ace. to activate swype simply hold down on the settings button when typing on ur keyboard (its the little cog icon). This will allow u to select between default keyboard and swype.

- R4nd0mJ0k3r

Reactions: enjibenji89
Upvote 0
Download a program called "Samsung Kies". Use this to upgrade the Firmware on your phone (plenty of guides online how to do this) and yes, this improves the device alot.

You dont recieve an SD card with the phone, so buy one (up to 32gb) if u want more storage space... I'd reccomend a class 6 card or above for HD recording/playback.

I've found swype to be amazing for one hand texting but if u can hold the phone in landscape and use two hands the standard keyboard is ace. to activate swype simply hold down on the settings button when typing on ur keyboard (its the little cog icon). This will allow u to select between default keyboard and swype.

- R4nd0mJ0k3r

Thank you so much for your help. My phone is a LOT quicker

Upvote 0
I have an HTC Thunderbolt. I had it rooted.. ( Used the clockmod method.) Verizon issued an update and after that I have issues gaining root access.

I found an App that prints out some nice detail in relation to rooting. Can someone point me in a direction?

Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.

Superuser.apk - com.noshufou.android.su - version 2.3.6.3 is installed!

Standard su binary location: ls -l /system/bin/su:
---sr---wt root root 26232 2008-08-01 08:00 su

Standard su binary location: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
lrwxrwxrwx root root 2011-09-02 13:29 su -> /system/bin/su

Alternate su binary location: ls -l /sbin/su:
/sbin/su: Permission denied

SU binary not found or not operating properly

I also went and downloaded the updates SU binary and flashed that.

The phone works fine. I have the wifi hotspot work so it seems as thought the rooting is having some effect. But any application that would like to have su access is broken.

Upvote 0
R.e no data

Check 'data' is switched on using pull down screen !

Is the phone sim free and you are using your existing sim card ?

If so you need to set the APN settings manually.

Search the web or contact your phone company for the info

Configure the settings in : settings/wireless and network/mobile networks

Cheers

Nevy P

Sorry - I find this a bit confusing. I am using a sim card that I was using in my iPhone. So do I need to set the APN settings manually?

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out. Thanks for the help :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones