• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Streaming media and the Tyrrany of the Sprint Proxies

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
A few days ago, I changed streaming settings as described early in the thread. The first few hours after doing it, my download speeds according to the two speed test apps were even worse than before, a maximum of 200 kbits per second. I thought I could tell a slight negative effect on subjective browser performance. I came very close to reversing the changes, but left them for another day. Ever since, my download speed as measured by test has been much better, about twice the speed it was before the changes. 600 to 800 kbits per second is routine with a good but not perfect signal. Subjective browser performance is slightly better. I'm trying to be a bit skeptical in that evaluation, but I really think it is better.

I hadn't tried Sprint tv till this morning, but it appears to be broken as described. Sprint Radio still works. I have used Sprint tv occasionally, but can't say I will seriously miss it.

I have no explanation for the initially poor results after the changes. Not sure if they were an actual side effect, or just a temporary burp on the local network.

Upvote 0
Finally got my MSL number from Sprint and changed the setting using your instructions EarlyMon. I can now watch youtube videos on 3G! :D

I will see if I notice any changes in internet speed in the next couple days and report back if there is anything funky going on. As of now everything is fine and dandy. :)

Thank you for the info!!!!

Upvote 0
Sprint requires the phone to be on 3G to even launch Sprint TV.

Last time I checked, you can get to the menu for for-pay channels (and because I won't pay for them, no idea if they work or not) - but for certain, even when on 3G, if they don't see the traffic thru their proxies, they restrict access to free channels on Sprint TV.

Makes sense - they don't want non-Sprint users tapping the service they provide to differentiate themselves.

Maybe if I say "free channels offered on Sprint TV" that might be clearer in that sentence you noted.

Aside from the outlyers where going thru fewer servers slowed things down for some people, there are no other downsides to this that have been found - and we started doing this on our Evos last year, so this is nothing new by any stretch, if that matters any.

Upvote 0
HEY OHH. I rooted my phone last night and got my msl with the msl reader app. I made the changes to the proxy things and my speeds for 3g at home have increased! They still arent fast but I am a ways from the nearest tower and it is more consistently in the 200-300k range now. Im just happy its consistent everytime i test with OpenSignal now. It used to be different everytime i tested it, around 10-100k for download

My Ping has decreased 5 fold, and I getting better and better up and down speeds!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Hello, I had done this update shortly after I got my phone and it worked just fine. Over this weekend I rooted my phone and flashed a ROM and have everything working just fine and was going back in to reset the proxy. I can get into edit mode just fine but when I go to enter my MSL password any keyboard that I try to use just gives me options for numbers and won't switch to letters so that I can enter my password. The Swype keyboard actually will switch to letters but won't let me enter any of them, only numbers and a few symbols. I've tried the regular keyboard, Swiftkey X, and the Gingerbread keyboard from the market. Any ideas anyone?

Upvote 0
Hello, I had done this update shortly after I got my phone and it worked just fine. Over this weekend I rooted my phone and flashed a ROM and have everything working just fine and was going back in to reset the proxy. I can get into edit mode just fine but when I go to enter my MSL password any keyboard that I try to use just gives me options for numbers and won't switch to letters so that I can enter my password. The Swype keyboard actually will switch to letters but won't let me enter any of them, only numbers and a few symbols. I've tried the regular keyboard, Swiftkey X, and the Gingerbread keyboard from the market. Any ideas anyone?

Your MSL code is 6 digits, that is a number with 6 digits. For example MSL CODE = 123456

Mine starts with 404... hehe

Reactions: diestarbucks
Upvote 0
I wanted to point out something that happened to me regarding these VPN changes. One of two things happened in my opinion. Either the replacement phone I received had the Proxy settings updated to all zeros (Least Likely) or those changes were backup up as part of the My Backup Pro backup I did.

History:

I performed the Proxy setting changes on my EVO 3D Stock with the latest updates.

I had a problem with the phone (not anything to do with the Proxy Setting Changes by the way) so I did a warranty replacment.

Prior to activating the replacment phone, I did a My Backup full backup, activated the new phone, restored my phone via My Backup etc.

As I was going through additional phone setup stuff, I thought to check the VPN Proxy settings, and was surprised to see that they were already setup to all zeros. To add to this, I had also performed the Voice Quality EVRC-B changes on the origianl phone to better my voice quality on my old phone. When I checked the new phone, those settings had to be redone, so my theory that the My Backup "backup" I did, somehow restored the VPN Proxy settings somewhat went out the window. I am stumped as I hardly think the replacment phone would have come to me with those VPN settings already zeroed out.

Thouhts anyone?

So - for those new to this issue:

Streaming media involving RTSP (real-time streaming protocol) or fast timing thru HTTP are impacted by the fact that these phones come configured to send ALL traffic through proxies for each.

Services affected are Sirius/XM, winamp streaming (sorry, forgot the name), Pandora (depending on user/version) and many others.

Your existing settings are:

• RTSP proxy IP = rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
  • RTSP proxy port = 554
  • HTTP proxy IP = pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
  • HTTP proxy port = 8085

What is pd proxy?

Virtual Private Network (VPN) & Premium Socks/HTTP Proxies - www.pdproxy.com

And what you want to do to fix this requires a nifty little thing called your MSL code, where MSL = Master Subsidy Lock.

Once you have that:

1. Dial ##3282# (also known as ##DATA#)
  2. Choose Edit Mode (note: you can enter View Mode at this point without an MSL, it's quite harmless)
  3. Enter MSL
  4. Choose Advanced
  5. Change RTSP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
  6. Change RTSP proxy port to: 0
  7. Change HTTP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
  8. Change HTTP proxy port to: 0
There are three ways to get your MSL code:

There is one alternative to this fix:

• Call Sprint tech support, tell them that streaming media issues are a known issue for them and that you want it solved OTA while you wait. Their techs can access those settings on your phone and change them - but they may only do one or the other.

In addition to making streaming music work, this has been beneficial in getting smoother YouTube playback with less buffering.

In fact, so far as I recall, everyone bypassing their proxies got better web response across the board.

Caveats:

1. Sprint may warn you this is non-standard and may be harmful. That's total baloney. They simply don't want to liable for anything you do once you're free on the web - you know, the way you are on your laptop.
  2. Deciding to fiddle around with anything besides those settings listed above can only be described as idiotic - unless you like breaking your phone possibly beyond repair. Got your attention? Ok, sorry to be rude, but now you're srsly warned.
  3. This WILL cause Sprint TV, live channels, to stop working.
Otherwise this is a totally way cool thing to do - and it will not void your warranty, don't listen to that noise if you find it.

Important note - you're under the tyranny of the Sprint proxy servers regardless if you're using 3G, 4G, or Wi-Fi for your connection.

Hope this helps!

By the way:

~~~~

Caveat: At the time of this edit, two users here found this approach to be detrimental. That's exactly why I've posted the original settings, so you can revert. While this approach is known to work on Sprint phones for the overwhelming number of users to date, some question if this is right for the 3vo - http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361521-streaming-media-tyrrany-sprint-proxies-2.html#post2895571

The majority reports here are in favor - but - there seems to be some controversy on this working for all users.

The original settings are posted here so you can try it both ways.

Upvote 0
I did the My Backup Restore after the new phone was already activated and the initial PRL and Profile update was done, so for the Proxy settings to be set for zero's yet the EVRC-B changes to have reverted to the stock makes no sense.

yeah clearly the my backup saved your proxy settings but not the vocoder settings. perhaps when you did the phone restore the phone also initiated an OTA to update prl and profile settings. that session could have reverted the vocoder settings back to stock.

Upvote 0
I finally got my phone setup and working well so i think i will not worry about what actually happened, it is not worth the hassle.

anything could have happened.

if you want, why not reset to factory settings then check your settings in the MSL menu BEFORE a restore. we could go back and forth here but in reality anything could have happened. :)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones