• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

'sup again

there will always be people who don't get it
Yep. I've seen sites implode because of a few people who just wouldn't follow the rules. But I have faith in AF members. I think a clearly defined set of rules, combined with moderating as you've described, actually could work.

I would love to have intelligent, respectful discourse where topics are discussed, not members being shredded for expressing their thoughts on those topics.

It CAN be done. Tight moderation is a must, including a zero-tolerance policy for infractions. Members don't have to be banned, or even suspended, for breaking the rules--just block their access to that board for X days. After Y infractions, suspend them, and after Z, ban them. Done!

Upvote 0
Yep. I've seen sites implode because of a few people who just wouldn't follow the rules. But I have faith in AF members. I think a clearly defined set of rules, combined with moderating as you've described, actually could work.

I would love to have intelligent, respectful discourse where topics are discussed, not members being shredded for expressing their thoughts on those topics.

It CAN be done. Tight moderation is a must, including a zero-tolerance policy for infractions. Members don't have to be banned, or even suspended, for breaking the rules--just block their access to that board for X days. After Y infractions, suspend them, and after Z, ban them. Done!

Hey, lose the debate about, well... the debate section.

All I can say is if things break the rules, report them, it has always been that simple.

I even stay away from religion on politics with my wife, and family, and on facebook. There is simply no way to have civilized convos with idiots... err, I mean, people. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I even stay away from religion on politics with my wife, and family, and on facebook. There is simply no way to have civilized convos with idiots... err, I mean, people.
Heh-heh-heh... :D

I used to feel that way, too. Then I found that virtually any topic can be discussed cordially if all participants play by the rules.

Upvote 0
I vowed to stay away from P&CA because the nature of the debate is emotional. Years and years ago I made a mistake in there, and I vowed never to return. All it takes to get someone upset is saying Trump, Hilary or Bernie is a jerk. That's all it takes. I think it is a fine idea and full of merit, but in reality I agree with Nightangel about just moderating heavily what we have now.

Sadly, and I think I'm just as guilty of this as the next guy, as a moderator about the following.. it's easy for me to be biased and allow things to be stated, that may or may not be offensive or slightly offensive, to slide on by because I agree with them but if I don't agree, moderate them more heavily.

It's a rough area and a rough emotionally charged set of topics. So, yeah, my feeling is stay with P&CA. Post, if you dare and try to moderate fairly. It's hard for me...after all.. I AM "The incompetent moderator!" :) :)

Upvote 0
You did when you were a guide, or maybe that's *one* of the reasons you aren't one anymore ;)

@NightAngel79 That made me spit my water out! lol!

On another note: I checked history on this issue and was quite surprised at the following. When I was modding the last time? That was when I was leader of the Guides. It fell upon ME to make the rule for the guides. I judged that the guides should NOT post in P&CA. I read the thread. I sounded all wise, powerful and smart and stuff back then. In those days, I was the competent mod! I had authority and clout. Nowadays, I have come to grips with my mortality and the temporal nature of life, so I'm now incompetent and grandfatherly. I would rather play flag football then tackle, I guess. :)

Upvote 0
It was worth it at @Steven58. I had to warn people about the orange menace. Apparently Android users are not the majority of the US Electoral College. Damn those fruit phone users.

Back in the PocketPC days I too had a run in with absolute power. It corrupts absolutely. Now days I just report racists and don't "Ban Them for Life", not that a Guide could just do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones