• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Super amoled screens not very sharp? Don't want on EVO.

Alrighty, gang!

Well, the best link was the last one where the author spoke at length with people who wanted to point out all sorts of things about light physics but the author came away saying he believed them, but then pointing out that it was obvious that AMOLED had a deficiency.

If I read correctly, the obviousness applies to text on a white background.

OK. That saves me a long-winded EarlyMon special.

How about a little test instead?

I have two phones - an EVO and a Moment. I put up WifelyMon's favorite zodiac site and made the text quite small so that my conditions - strictly by eye and hand-holding - were: make text same size in both pictures by eye, and hold camera above phones the same distance by hand, no zoom other than that required for macro as best these old hands can manage. Then - crop and rotate to fit the forum allowances for snaps - no other processing whatsoever.

View attachment 8394

View attachment 8395

Which picture belongs to which screen technology?

And no - it's not the same picture doctored - I got people on that one before.

These are separate and undoctored, not even by changing size - that's raw camera image in jpg you're seeing in both.

Vote early, vote often. ;)

PS - Any voting that my snaps suck and aren't good enough to tell are noted in advance. This is the best I could do on a Sunday afternoon with WifelyMon wondering why I was using her phone in the first place. :)

Besides - in the first link, one poster showed a great close-up of razor sharp font and great color on screen icons of an AMOLED snap in a series from Asia, but was dismissed.

PPS - A free Thank You from me to everyone that votes.
I think the first is Evo and the 2nd is Samsung. Not because of the resolution, but because of the blueness in the second photo, which the Amoled tends to have when rendering true white color.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
It's also true that SAMOLED also produce deeper blacks and more color saturations. Thus producing better image/video quality.

So there you have it, if you prefer text qaulity over image/video quality get an LCD. if you prefer image/video quality over text quality, get an AMOLED screen. Choose your poison gentlement. :)

I agree. Though not mentioned explicitly, my concern was never with pics or video. It was strictly with the font and after reading the link that someone provided in this thread, it is actually documented that there is a deficiency in these Amoled/Super Amoled screens that cause them to display text in lower than actual resolution resulting in blocky texts. After having owned the Sprint Diamond, I could very readily, without effort, identify individual pixels in most other phones since they all had much lower pixel densities. I have always been a stickler for a sharp screen since I surf the web and read a lot on my phones. Most people might not even notice, but it is a peeve of mine when I can see pixels.

Upvote 0
Alrighty, gang!

Well, the best link was the last one where the author spoke at length with people who wanted to point out all sorts of things about light physics but the author came away saying he believed them, but then pointing out that it was obvious that AMOLED had a deficiency.

If I read correctly, the obviousness applies to text on a white background.

OK. That saves me a long-winded EarlyMon special.

How about a little test instead?

I have two phones - an EVO and a Moment. I put up WifelyMon's favorite zodiac site and made the text quite small so that my conditions - strictly by eye and hand-holding - were: make text same size in both pictures by eye, and hold camera above phones the same distance by hand, no zoom other than that required for macro as best these old hands can manage. Then - crop and rotate to fit the forum allowances for snaps - no other processing whatsoever.

View attachment 8394

View attachment 8395

Which picture belongs to which screen technology?

And no - it's not the same picture doctored - I got people on that one before.

These are separate and undoctored, not even by changing size - that's raw camera image in jpg you're seeing in both.

Vote early, vote often. ;)

PS - Any voting that my snaps suck and aren't good enough to tell are noted in advance. This is the best I could do on a Sunday afternoon with WifelyMon wondering why I was using her phone in the first place. :)

Besides - in the first link, one poster showed a great close-up of razor sharp font and great color on screen icons of an AMOLED snap in a series from Asia, but was dismissed.

PPS - A free Thank You from me to everyone that votes.

I don't think a photo representation is anywhere near as accurate as having the actual phone screen at hand to judge.

Upvote 0
I agree with the OP. I went into an AT&T store to look at the Captivate's supposedly amazing Super AMOLED screen and I was not impressed at all. Although it was very bright and vivid, the screen was not very clear and pixels were definitely visible. You would think that the screen would look clearer than the Evo's considering it is the same resolution on a smaller screen, but the screen clarity was closer to that of my old 3GS, than the Evo.

These are my exact sentiments. I went with exitement to personally confirm the favorable reviews but was taken aback by the obvious pixelation. This after expecting that being a smaller screen with the same resolution, the pixel density would certainly be higher guaranteeing sharper text.

Upvote 0
I don't know much about the technical aspects here but from experience with the Droid Incredible, the IP4, and owning an EVO, I can say that the EVO looks great for such a large screen.

The higher resolution on the IP4 only looks slightly sharper on occasion and would do better if the screen was larger. Most of it just seems like a product of a smaller screen over a higher resolution. It's really hard to see a difference between it and another screen of similar size like the incredible, despite the resolution differences. It would be better represented in a larger screen I think.

When watching the same youtube videos on all, the colors are among the best on the DI followed by the IP4 then EVO, IMO. When watching videos or movies on the largest display mode the EVO was the sharpest of them all. On the smaller modes, of which the EVO doesn't even display as small as the DI or IP4, it was the IP4 for sharpness, followed by the DI, then maybe the EVO (which could be a tie really) but as soon as you expanded the video or used a larger mode, the others become far more pixelated than the EVO while the size of the video display was still larger on the EVO.

I favor the EVO for it's superior sharpness in large display modes while also having the largest screen display. It also faired the best in brightness and therefore in the sunlight as well IMO.

If there is one thing many say it could use "on paper" or for stats, it's probably more color rendering but I think it looks perfect as is because too much color can hurt to the point where it begins to look too animated (cartoonish), like some of the other devices out there and that's not very natural or life like, instead only more colorful, vibrant and perhaps therefore more attractive.

Upvote 0
Totally agreed, and for now the IP4's screen is definitely the standard that we have to shoot for.

I agree that the IP4 display as a whole is super sharp but it's video on large display modes is a bit of a disappointment especially when compared to the EVO which is sharper when you try to get the video size anywhere near as large as the EVO's display on the IP4.

Upvote 0
I don't think a photo representation is anywhere near as accurate as having the actual phone screen at hand to judge.

I would have to agree with you - but there's nothing I can do about that.

FWIW - each of those snaps when displayed on my 15" 1440x900 laptop from two feet away are CONSIDERABLY bigger than they appeared on screen in real life.

And just so I'm on record with this - the guy in one of those threads said it was a non-math major's view that the resolution was 533

Upvote 0
I agree. Though not mentioned explicitly, my concern was never with pics or video. It was strictly with the font and after reading the link that someone provided in this thread, it is actually documented that there is a deficiency in these Amoled/Super Amoled screens that cause them to display text in lower than actual resolution resulting in blocky texts. After having owned the Sprint Diamond, I could very readily, without effort, identify individual pixels in most other phones since they all had much lower pixel densities. I have always been a stickler for a sharp screen since I surf the web and read a lot on my phones. Most people might not even notice, but it is a peeve of mine when I can see pixels.

Then I agree with you, you should get an LCD-TFT screen. I however use my phone more as a media player, camera, navigation and Sprint TV. The only thing that I read for a long periods of time was surfing Phandroid Forums with Tapatalk. But it has a black background so not so much affected by the blurry images compared to the white images. But since Phandroid has stop support for Tapatalk, the more am I inclined to better quality photos and videos.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem using the Evo's screen. Infact I also love it. But if given with a choice, I would pic a SAMOLED over an LCD-TFT screen. :)

Upvote 0
Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
The Incredible was originally produced with an AMOLED screen, but shortages from Samsung caused production to grind to a halt. HTC decided to make a new version with Super LCD screens from Sony.

Verizon Confirms Order Switches from Incredible to DROID X - HTC to pack Super LCD displays in future DROID Incredible units - Softpedia

This affects future shipments, but all the Incredible units out in the wild have AMOLED screens.

Thanks for the info. Then I reckon that future Incredible users will be enjoying sharper text than their predecessors. I am trying to interject a bit of humor but the bottom line is that both screens have their advantages and for the most part more people seem to prefer the Amoleds which boast more positives.

Upvote 0
I'd only disagree with the responsiveness. This screen on my Evo is painfully sensitive. Sometimes it will register my touch even when I didn't feel it myself. My Moment's amoled required a much more deliberate touch.
FWIW, though, that has nothing to do with the screen itself, but the capacitive screen sandwiched on top of it; two seperate things. I've had some experience with bad touchscreens in OEM devices I've worked with, but the screen looked awesome. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones