• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SUroot

Me neither. I'd.like to.get a better understanding of the xml files in apks though.

I tried to re theme the phandroid app. Edited bg and text.entries in loads of em. Installs fine buy force closest.

Had to.request help on xda but not had any get

Use Apk manager..
At the last step, choose the option to recompile as a system app. Then choose to retain everything except classes.dex. That will solve the force closes. The xml should sometimes be left out too.(If the xml is not depended upon. Depends on the app)

There's a new tool called Apkedit which might be useful if all you need is to edit the values

Aside: Had a USB brick today.. :)

Upvote 0
Use Apk manager..
At the last step, choose the option to recompile as a system app. Then choose to retain everything except classes.dex. That will solve the force closes. The xml should sometimes be left out too.(If the xml is not depended upon. Depends on the app)

There's a new tool called Apkedit which might be useful if all you need is to edit the values

Aside: Had a USB brick today.. :)

Ah no, it doesn't show up in the string section, so I'd have to browse via "other content" and edit the xml's again manually, which doesn't help unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Ah no, it doesn't show up in the string section, so I'd have to browse via "other content" and edit the xml's again manually, which doesn't help unfortunately.

Well then, look at the smalis from apk manager. Only while recompiling, do what I suggested..It worked for some system apps that I was trying to patch..They would fc on recompile..then just tried setting that option..and Voila..a patch was born

Upvote 0
Well then, look at the smalis from apk manager. Only while recompiling, do what I suggested..It worked for some system apps that I was trying to patch..They would fc on recompile..then just tried setting that option..and Voila..a patch was born

Ill try. thing is, if I recompile with the changed images, it fails error.

So I have to decompile, amend xml and then recompile. Then extract, amend images, zip and sign.

Upvote 0
Ill try. thing is, if I recompile with the changed images, it fails error.

So I have to decompile, amend xml and then recompile. Then extract, amend images, zip and sign.

Yes, apkmanager automates that.

But make sure that you recompile only those files you've patched. The other files should be added to the zip(apk) as such. If you choose apkmanager to recompile, it will ask you what you dont want to modify

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones