• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype avail for Eris

It's completely appropriate and understandable, of course, that the mod would remove the link to this download. And it's also understandable that Swype would make a blog post like the one it did ... a necessity to legally protect its intellectual property. Still, I suspect that off the record they're not too distressed about the leaked beta -- it gave them a lot of buzz, which is certainly something they want right now.

It'll be interesting to see if they do follow through and put Swype in the Android Market, and how much they'll charge for it. Clearly, their business plan is counting on most of their revenue coming from royalties paid by device makers, and if they put the app in the Market it might make it less likely that the device makers will sign such agreements. I just hope that those of us who already have smartphones won't end up getting left out in the cold ...

Upvote 0
finallly got it...took me 2 hrs lol still kinda new with all this. for any one that has a problem with when the install it they dont have the screen error come up but they try to pop the keyboard up and it doesnt come up, for me it was because the file was still in zip and not apk. so if u installed and get no keyboard, check to make sure you got apk and not zip

Upvote 0
I was using word prediction. The eris keyboard imo is excellent. Much better than Better Keyboard. Accurate. Swype just makes everything faster, is very accurate, can still type custom words in old school "tap" style, and it's made txting more fun if that's a feasible assertion. The biggest advan with swype for me is being able to hold the Eris in one hand and text with that same hand with my thumb....convenient.

Upvote 0
I used word prediction on the stock keyboard before Swype. FYI--Had a bad issue prop up. Not sure if it was due to Swype or Task Manager which I downloaded and started using both in the past few days. Got the dreaded Android processes error and force close message. Long story short--had to do the hard reset and reconfigure phone. I'm reloading Swype again hoping it wasn't due to loading this beta app.

Upvote 0
I'm still really loving Swype. The only issue that's even slightly frustrating is that there's not always a consistent way to dismiss the keyboard when you're through with it. Depending on the app, sometimes there'll be a "go" key or similar that will do the job, sometimes hitting the menu button will work, sometimes the "back" button ... and sometimes I can't figure out what the hell to to. But it's still good. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones