• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype now officially available on Android as a Beta

swype does not show up in advanced task killer, not sure if shows up in others. if you get the beep, i use to uninstall, but i figured out that if you go to settings>manage applications>then force close swype, then open any application that requires a keyboard and i find this gets rid of the beeping

Upvote 0
On a whim, I went in to Advanced Task Killer and killed the Swype app (normally it is on my Exclude) list. This manual "restarting" of Swype seems to have fixed it, and when I reopened Handcent, it seems to be working fine. So for others experiencing this issue after a restart, just kill the app and let it reboot. I'll post if I notice more weirdness.

swype does not show up in advanced task killer, not sure if shows up in others. if you get the beep, i use to uninstall, but i figured out that if you go to settings>manage applications>then force close swype, then open any application that requires a keyboard and i find this gets rid of the beeping

Seriously...do you even read a thread before adding to it? I already confirmed that Swype DOES show up in advanced task killer. I am looking at it right now! And killing it and letting it restart makes it work perfectly fine until you need to restart your phone again. One simple kill on start up and it works perfectly. Please don't spread false information, and next time check a thread before commenting on it.

Upvote 0
Seriously...do you even read a thread before adding to it? I already confirmed that Swype DOES show up in advanced task killer. I am looking at it right now! And killing it and letting it restart makes it work perfectly fine until you need to restart your phone again. One simple kill on start up and it works perfectly. Please don't spread false information, and next time check a thread before commenting on it.

yes i do read the thread. on my phone, it doesnt show up in atk, so i was stopping you from spreading false information. no need to be an ass. seriously, it doesnt show up. so i have no idea what you're talking about

Upvote 0
Apparently there are two programs in the market...One called Advanced Task Killer and one called Advanced Task Manager. They do virtually the same thing as far as I can tell. I have the PAID version of Advanced Task Manager (which is only called "Advanced Task" in the launcher, thus creating some of the confusion). That program definitely shows Swype as a running App. I put it on my exclude list, but I still manually kill it when I restart my phone so it runs properly until I have to restart again.

I can't say anything about the free version of Advanced Task Manager, or anything at all about Advanced Task Killer. I will say that the paid version of ATM is great and I highly recommend it.

Upvote 0
Apparently there are two programs in the market...One called Advanced Task Killer and one called Advanced Task Manager. They do virtually the same thing as far as I can tell. I have the PAID version of Advanced Task Manager (which is only called "Advanced Task" in the launcher, thus creating some of the confusion). That program definitely shows Swype as a running App. I put it on my exclude list, but I still manually kill it when I restart my phone so it runs properly until I have to restart again.

I can't say anything about the free version of Advanced Task Manager, or anything at all about Advanced Task Killer. I will say that the paid version of ATM is great and I highly recommend it.

i dont see an apology in your explanation, ignoring your mistake and not acknowledging that i am correct should be the minimum of what was said in this post. oh well

Upvote 0
Still having issues with the keyboard locking up occasionally.

All of a sudden a blue box appears around the keyboard and it stops taking any responses, just beeps - even if you swap orientation of the phone. Locking and unlocking the phone cures it.

The screen is immaculate (first thoughts) and it happens anywhere the keyboard is needed at random.

What I am noticing is a blue line pulsing left to right at the very bottom of the screen like it's monitoring something.

Only other issues are getting caps by going up to the text area after selecting the first letter, and selecting punctuation then going to the spacebar rather than push/hold the letter key. Just cant get it working right everytime.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones