• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text Message Sounds

hurley710

Feb 16, 2010
Ohio
Sorry if this has been asked... I've searched and so far nothing. I just got my new Droid Eris. So far I love it, except for my text message sounds. My ringtone works as my new one. My notification sound plays my preference (Clapton's Layla) when I have an email and such, however, when I get a text message, it still plays the default sound. Is there somewhere you change this other than notification sounds?

@Howie: Thanks. That totally solves it! I didn't realize there was a different settings under messages versus settings under your home page. I think maybe the reason I didn't catch it, is I think my messages app is a lil buggy. Sometimes when I click it, instead of displaying all messages, it displays my people with my phone pad. Not sure what that's about.

@goofdad: I considered handcent, cuz I did read that works but the reviews in the market didnt appear to be the best, so I didn't bother.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Upvote 0
This may sound weird, but I want to have my Eris give me a notification sound for text messages, but not for anything else. There seems to be no way to shut off everything but the text one. Is that possible? I've tried everything I can think of, but there just seems to be one overall notification function. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Upvote 0
If you go into the settings app, you can set the default ringtone to Silent, if I am not mistaken. In my experience, each individual app that allows ringtone notifications allows you to set them by application, so you should be able to set the Messaging app to use a ringtone of your choice, set the default to silent, and set all other apps that you have doing background notifications also to silent.

Just hit menu in each of those apps and look for a settings or preferences option and you should find settings for background notifications and the ringtones that are used.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones