• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The BIG 2.1 Thread

I love the app...I did notice that when playing videos that i recorded using the Droid, the playback was choppy using the new Gallery app. When I switch back to the old gallery and play the same file I have no issues...I even got a couple force close messages when playing back the files. Anyone else experience this?

I don't have this. I only have three Dolphin'ed Youtube videos...but they play back just fine.

Upvote 0
I've done all my droid hackery on a mac..... :rolleyes:

lol you are reading too much into my statement. Not saying it can't be done, or that mac sucks or anything like that. Simply that most of us here are working with PC and all of you who are using Macs aren't lending any advice to his question. If he had a PC, we would be able to help him.

Upvote 0
guys where is the system folder on the Droid? Also, link is not up and running right now.

You don't need to worry about the system folder unless you want to remove your old gallery app, so there aren't duplicates. You need root to do this. But if you have root you need to (re)mount the system directory just as you would when installing a custom notification bar etc, mount -o rw, ... etc.

Otherwise just install the app linked to with Astro file manager, once its on your sdcard.

Upvote 0
That is the Nexus modded to the Droid version. There are still bugs in that version. I am waiting for the 2.1 ROM made for the Droid. Or at least one that is much more stable and fully functional.

Ah so you're waiting for a Stable leaked 2.1. Makes sense, I just reverted to 2.0.1, so maybe a good idea. Some have had better experiences than I though so ymmv.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for this. It is freaking amazing! I was just looking for a new photo viewer in the market too.

I'm can't believe the level of fit and finish to this gallery app. Points to very good things to come!

edit: Is the camera app changed in 2.1 at all? Trying to change more than one setting is absurdly stupid on the 2.0 version. You have to change first setting, close the setting pane, then open it again to make the next change.

Upvote 0
i feel dum but in asto, how do i install it? do i need an apk file cause there isnt one when its unzipped. i copied the file over to the droid and found it with asto, what do i do next?

unzip it on your PC, and copy just the .apk file to your SDCARD. then use Astro to open it. You will then see a button to Install it.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for this. It is freaking amazing! I was just looking for a new photo viewer in the market too.

I'm can't believe the level of fit and finish to this gallery app. Points to very good things to come!

edit: Is the camera app changed in 2.1 at all? Trying to change more than one setting is absurdly stupid on the 2.0 version. You have to change first setting, close the setting pane, then open it again to make the next change.

since the 2.0.1 update, my "pane" for the camera settings takes a good 10-15 seconds to open the first time.

Upvote 0

Click the setting a second time and it will close that section automatically and go back to the other settings page. In other words to change the scene mode, click on "auto," as an example, twice. I think of it as once to select and once to confirm. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones