• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Crackdown on Tethering Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
20gigs is a whole different problem altogether. I would think that a majority of you who tether do so with very low data rates. That is a ridiculous amount! Unlimited...i know but they should have taken that terminology a long time ago.

Agreed, I thought it was a large amount of data like that. I don't even d/l that much on my home computer and I like to watch movies on it. Step away from the W.O.W. fer chrissakes!

Upvote 0
VZW has always stated that misuse of their services can result in termination of contract. If he was charged $350, I believe that that is the ETF. Honestly, if you are using that much, you deserve to be kicked off! That means that you are hogging the hell out of limited data going to the tower and slowing everyone else down. The negotiated internet rate and bandwidth that Verizon leases from the company that runs fiber to the tower is based on the expected average # of people who will use the tower and average data usage. Hitting rates that high is just dumb as hell and asking for problems!

Then drama queen jumps in and says, "Told you so!" No he didn't. We ALL know that using that much data is a compete diff. issue from tethering. Sure, illegal tethering costs VZW profits, but using enormous data costs them tangibly.

Upvote 0
where does it say anywhere that overage charges for data is $2 a MB? I know the prices, while still imo too high, are fairly reasonable, ex. $10 for 2 GB.

Overage is different than pay per use.

Overage at one point was $0.05 / MB
Overage now is $10.00 per GB

This all depends on the data plan you are on.

Just know that what I typed was for pay per use as if you do not have the feature then there is no data plan to calculate Overage for.

Upvote 0
As much as p3 has done and brought out to the droid x community he has always been a bit melodramatic. We've seen all his warnings about tethering and now we have one unconfirmed report of his knowing someone that gets popped for it out of the most likely millions of users across multiple devices... Yeah, color me skeptical.

Am I the only one that remember his tweets about uncapped data on the tbolt hitting 40megs down and Verizon tracking it and when all was said and done the 40megs down was a speed test glitch?

Not saying he is wrong or right just saying I need proof. You tether without a plan you knowingly violate the terms of service and any penalties incurred are your fault.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Sucks that they're trying to "send a message." A better business would just stop the problem, not make examples of their customers. Isn't that why everyone hates the RIAA now? Instead of spending time trying to find a way to embrace digital distribution, or make better DRM so you can't pirate music... they instead decided to sue the hell out of kids.

Send a message? The guy is abusing their system. They have every right to get back the money the guy has taken from them.

Upvote 0
these tethering topics do need to be closed, as this debate has been discussed numerous times, i have watched this thread and stayed out of it, but im really hoping a mod will lock this thread and advise people there is another thread for whether or not tethering is right or wrong, unfortunately i do not have the link (work) so i cannot post it.

so can we please get this thread moved or locked?

Upvote 0
It seems like they are trying to send a message to all would be tetherers to me.

I agree on this one - but still, not chancing it until I see masses of successful tethering. Hotspot - Froze until further notice.

Heck, only time I really used was when someone else needed it, only used it cuz I could, besides, Verizon 3g is good, but I'd rather pay on a 4g plan - so far I've tested on my TB and it beats my IP.

Wait I will.

Upvote 0
drama-queen1.jpg

Upvote 0
OK - the hypotheticals have been done to death on what's illegal.

The warning on violating your terms of service is out there. Make of it what you will.

But re-hashing the law and slagging the thread itself can only lead to the one place it always does - bad feelings for no reason.

Anyone disagree with the lock, PM me or hit the !Report next to this post, ask for reconsideration, please state why so we mods can decide dispassionately.

Cheers, thank you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones