• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The only thing I hate about this phone....home button issue.

Perch_44

Jul 8, 2010
When I press the home button, there is a 1+ second lag until it goes to the home screen.

It doesn't seem like much on paper, but when I press the button and I stare at my screen waiting it drives me nuts.

It's the only thing I dislike about the phone.

Anyone else have this issue?

When I press the home button, there is a 1+ second lag until it goes to the home screen.

It doesn't seem like much on paper, but when I press the button and I stare at my screen waiting it drives me nuts.

Many people. Many threads about it. ;)

It has to pause in case you want to use S-Voice which is activated by a double click. Don't want the delay, disable S-Voice.

Also go into settings and then developer settings and set your transition and window animations to off. You will be home before you even release the button.

Upvote 0
It's a lousy home button. Too small, cheap and plasticky, not responsive. Of all the things Samsung copied from Apple they should have copied their home button too but Samsung has always had poor quality construction on their Android phones.

Upvote 0
It's a lousy home button. Too small, cheap and plasticky, not responsive. Of all the things Samsung copied from Apple they should have copied their home button too but Samsung has always had poor quality construction on their Android phones.

Why would Samsung want to copy a feature that fails all the time on the iphone? That home button on the iphone is a pos. everydayanother person compains how his home button isn't working anymore.
If you wanna troll, you should pick better topics.

Upvote 0
Why would Samsung want to copy a feature that fails all the time on the iphone? That home button on the iphone is a pos. everydayanother person compains how his home button isn't working anymore.
If you wanna troll, you should pick better topics.

I agree. Of all the issues this forum has seen, the quality of the button or the use of it have been pretty mute. This issue is more software and can be fixed, so I don't count it against it. I think the home button is nice. All the tech sites made such a big deal about it and how bad it would be. Haven't heard much about it since launch, I think most people like it or see it practical.

I just realized your name is snookie. I feel dumb for arguing.

Upvote 0
I almost wish the home button was a capacitive button like the back and menu button. its so easy to just slide your finger down for one of those, but you actually have to press the home button. All things aside, this phone replaced my htc hero, and I am loving it to death! the home button "issue" is really just more of me getting nit-picky trying to find something wrong haha

Upvote 0
I almost wish the home button was a capacitive button like the back and menu button. its so easy to just slide your finger down for one of those, but you actually have to press the home button. All things aside, this phone replaced my htc hero, and I am loving it to death! the home button "issue" is really just more of me getting nit-picky trying to find something wrong haha

If it is a capacitive button, you can't feasibly use it to wake up the phone. Give the size of the screen, having to push the power button every time would be far less convenient. I shared your sentiments for a couple of days, but I'm not quite pleased that they made it a physical button.

Upvote 0

You don't have to use the home button at all, if you don't want to. Download Swipepad and use what is essentially virtual buttons. I press the bottom right corner of the screen (regardless of the app or screen I am in) and then swipe to Nova Launcher button that I assigned to a particular grid square. Literally takes me the same amount of time as pushing the home button.

I am coming from many years of iPhone use and this is a very common problem: broken home buttons. I would jailbreak just to not have to ever press the home button via some awesome Cydia tweaks. I would rather preserve my home button for later in my phones life.

Upvote 0
Many people. Many threads about it. ;)

It has to pause in case you want to use S-Voice which is activated by a double click. Don't want the delay, disable S-Voice.

What people are generally talking about when they talk about the home screen lag, is the re-drawing of the icons. After i've been browsing for a while, or just using the phone (heaven forbid), then i press the home screen button, the desktop background shows, but it takes a second or two for all the icons/widgets to appear, and they dont appear all at once - it's like you're switching screens on a really slow computer. Except this is a Quad Core phone with 1GB RAM - ridiculous.

As you can tell, i also hate this about the S3. As well as a number of other things. Almost as disappointed as when i got an iPhone 4S - never again!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones