• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Rogers Magic 2.1 Thread

Maybe they're going to be testing another perfect SPL.. Wouldn't surprise me if they did that.. They already know that 2.1 runs on the Magic.. I for one will not be installing the new ROM because CM 5.0.7 has been running awesome on my Magic and I still have data (Thanks GBD) plus, I like the fact that the name "Rogers" is not plastered all over my phone.
Rogers will have to rip my Magic out of my cold dead hands before I'll install their ROM

Personally, I don't think Rogers really cares about Android OS upgrades.. We have seen this with the case of the Dream/Magic.. The only reason why they are upgrading us to 2.1 is because the community led by mjschmidt and greatbigdog01(sorry if I left anyone else out) hounded them to do so and I commend them for it.
To Rogers, OS upgrades do not help them with the bottom line because they don't make money off it. Rogers Wireless is in the Business of "Selling Phones".. There is no profit in upgrading existing phones. Heck, we are still waiting for the 1.6 upgrade for the EVE and now that Froyo is out, 1.6 doesn't look all that great..

Sorry guys.. I got carried away and I know that this has been stated over and over but this whole situation really pi**es me off to no end.. I just needed an outlet to rant.. Again.. Sorry

Upvote 0
Of course they will do another perfected spl, there is no doubt that this is the primary focus and they won't release until they think that they have shut us out of the openness that we expect.

And I think there is a profit in upgrading phones. Unless you mean upgrading of the OS which is true, they'd rather sell you a new phone. That is their business and always has been. Way back in the day when I had a cell phone whenever I asked about poor coverage the response was always the same; maybe it was my phone. I should buy another one and renew my contract. Of course that was never the solution and was the reason I left and didn't use a cell phone for about 7 years.

But I'm not all that concerned anymore, the reason I'm back is because the OS is finally where I can have a more tolerable level of choice. My expectations from the provider are much lower and am happy to take care of it for myself. The "demarcation" point is like my internet, I'll take care of the device and the provider takes care of the service.

So Rogers, I'll ask one more time before I leave forever and take my family's plan and company's business plan with me; when will you stop the data cutoff scan? Why won't you answer that? (I also suggest an alternative that is to scan only for vulnerable radios). They claim to read these forums, they have several avenues for feedback, and they still avoid that question.

2.1 does indeed run very well..

Upvote 0
Twitter / Mary @ Rogers: @DGfromMTL I just confirme ...

"@DGfromMTL I just confirmed that HTC will deliver 2.1 for Magic for testing end of June. Acer Liquid will release w/ 2.1. X10 2.1 in Fall."

Good to hear that 2.1 is still on track to begin testing end of June, so sometime after that point we should have the update. Thanks for your help!

By June 2.1 will be 5 months old and it will likely be the last major O/S update for the Magic. It's a bit annoying that I'm only 5 months into my 3 year contract on that phone, but I guess I'll see what happens post 2.1 and figure out what my options are then.

Upvote 0
The thing is 2.2 will be releasing soon.
Hey rogers Mary can u try and do somethin about this data cut off specially when we pay to much for it and get it cut off

Let us know if you ever get a response about the data cutoff. I've gone through official channels and after a polite first response they simply ignore the question. I take that as a No, status quo no matter how illogical. you can @mary all day but she and the rest of them won't answer that question.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile Says ‘No Phones Left Behind,’ myTouch 3G Will Get Android 2.2 | Android Phone Fans

Magic getting 2.2 from T-Mobile.

"Shortly after Android 2.2 was announced, the myTouch 3G was one of the first phones to see an unofficial port of the latest version of the OS. While HTC assured the world that the new myTouch 3G Slide would be seeing an update to Froyo, owners of the original myTouch were left to wonder if and when their phones would receive a similar treatment. Now thanks to an internal screenshot forwarded our way we can say that T-Mobile does in fact plan to bring myTouch 3G owners a frosty treat.

The update will bring the originator up to speed, boasting a modified version of the Faves Gallery, the Genius Button functionality introduced with the myTouch 3G Slide, and full Exchange support.
T-Mobile wants to assure its customers that they aren’t forgetting their current subscribers who can’t upgrade to a newer phone, and if their “no phones left behind” attitude is sincere, it is a refreshing take on the update cycle that has plagued many carriers. Still no exact date when Froyo for the myTouch might become available, but if it at all coincides with the Slide’s update, it could be sooner rather than later."

Upvote 0
^^ I wish all carriers follow suit. I love my magic but thinking of getting an N1 so the os will always be up to date.
I was thinking even if carriers charged like $10 for os upgrades, I would be willing to fork out that for every major update. Win win situation. We get up to date updates and they still make money even when not selling phones.

Upvote 0
^^ I wish all carriers follow suit. I love my magic but thinking of getting an N1 so the os will always be up to date.
I was thinking even if carriers charged like $10 for os upgrades, I would be willing to fork out that for every major update. Win win situation. We get up to date updates and they still make money even when not selling phones.

Yes but the Magic is about to meet is end. 2.2 might just be the last build it can support and it will have some crippled functions like LWP because the memory and cpu are just not powerfull enough to run it.

Reactions: tigrr07
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes but the Magic is about to meet is end. 2.2 might just be the last build it can support and it will have some crippled functions like LWP because the memory and cpu are just not powerfull enough to run it.

I would be happy for the time being if they update the Magic to 2.2, by the time 3.0 comes around I would have a hardware upgrade and can get a better phone.

Upvote 0
Another one to join T-Mobile in updating the Magic to 2.2, what do you say Rogers?

HTC Magic to Receive Android 2.2 According to SFR | Android Phone Fans

"Second-ranked French carrier SFR has announced that the HTC Magic will receive an update to Android 2.2 (Froyo) later this summer along with another of their Android phones, the Nexus One. This shouldn’t come as too much of a shocker considering the Magic’s US counterpart, the T-Mobile myTouch 3G, has also been pegged as a device that should be receiving the anticipated OS update. There is no word whether this update will be coming to all Magic owners or merely those on SFR, but chances are if it’s ready for prime time France won’t be the only place seeing it.
No word on when the HTC Wildfire and HTC Legend might see a similar update on SFR, but HTC has promised that their newest smartphones should all be receiving the update in due time."

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've posted about the T-Mo and SFR updates on my blog and asked Mary for an official response from Rogers.

They only have 3 options: Give us an update with NO Rogers customizations (easiest and most preferable), give us an update with customizations (which I assume would cost them money, but they won't confirm), or give us nothing.

If they elect to give us nothing, they better have a good reason, because we know the hardware supports it.

Upvote 0
I've posted about the T-Mo and SFR updates on my blog and asked Mary for an official response from Rogers.

They only have 3 options: Give us an update with NO Rogers customizations (easiest and most preferable), give us an update with customizations (which I assume would cost them money, but they won't confirm), or give us nothing.

If they elect to give us nothing, they better have a good reason, because we know the hardware supports it.

Franckly i don't think Rogers will move to the 2.2 update anytime soon in 2010. I believe the finance department will decide to stop at 2.1 since it offers a full working stable image. 2.2 is just over the limit for the Dream and Magic cpu/ram ratio and too darn close to 2.1.

LWP, which is a nice eye candy, is just too hard on the cpu to get it running. How will user react toward Rogers when they get a 2.2 with a crippled LWP that FC's on every load. Rogers does not want a flame war with a update that is not stable on their phone. So rather then pushing for it they will probably abandon the Dream/Magic line at 2.1 and push to another model with a 600Mhz+ cpu and 512 ram capable of running it.

That's the most profitable venue for them and goes in their mindset. Offer not the latest rom but the most stable one for user to enjoy. They are still in the same mind set they were when they launched those phone with 1.5 and it continued in the 1.6 battle that moved to 2.1. And now that Google plans to slow down the baking in the oven to once a year we can expect alot less updates from Rogers.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it in the comment but Flash 10.1 is also a killer on why the Magic won't get 2.2 from Rogers.

Upvote 0
@Silvertag: If all those things you mention were really good reasons NOT to update, that customer experience would be so badly affected, why would HTC and T-Mo update the MyTouch 3G to 2.2 when it has LESS RAM than the Magic?

The market in the US as more competition then we do in Canada. They cannot afford to lose ground. To retain your client and sell them the new HTC Evo4G or the Motorola Droid X you need to keep them happy or they'll happily switch to another provider. When are we gonna get 2.1.. late Q3 start/mid Q4 ??

EDIT: Just saw RogersMary announced (12h ago) the Acer Liquid E will get 2.2 tested in Q4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones