• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Themed ROM] NexFro 1.0.1 - Android 2.2 FRF57 (WIFI FIXED)

Thanks for deciding the name!

• NexFro

Votes: 115 86.5%
  • NexCream

Votes: 22 16.5%

• Total voters
The only issue I'm having right now (and I can't believe that I've progressed to the point where I can talk about an issue on a running 2.2 ROM, as opposed to getting the ROM to run at all ;) )...

So my issue is lag in the browser here on Android forums...reminds me of back when 2.1 first was popping up. Scrolling isn't quite as smooth, but typing is really laggy. Anyone seeing this before or after the update.zip?

Go to your browser settings, enable plug-ins, and set it to on demand. This way you can be back to normal speed, and use flash only when you need it.

Reactions: Fabolous
Upvote 0
So, I'm running NexBeast v1.0 with the stock kernel and my phone seems perfect. Stable, fast, cool and fantastic battery life. Why am I twitching and itching to get NexFro 1.0.1? I know I'm going to give in and flash it. Who doesn't want BT voice dialing and a faster phone? For NexBeast, I did the format system, data, cache, and boot as well as wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache three times each (probably overkill, but I got great results.)

If I install NexFro and have some of the glitches reported such as Market updates, wifi, and mototorch and cannot resolve them what is the best way to go back to NexBeast? I have Rom manager (free), Titanium BU (paid), and SPRecovery. Would I be better off doing all the wipes/formats and reflashing the NexBeast rom, or restoring a backup from one of my recovery tools? I don't mind setting it all back up if restoring a backup is not the better way.

Please answer soon... just hanging on... can't hold off much longer

Upvote 0
Hmm...I had wifi before, don't appear to have it now...major change was updating to default fonts update.zip.

It says I'm connected, shows strong signal in status bar, but nothing is accessible.

This is w/the stock 800MHz kernel that is included...which is the same kernel I had w/the first update.zip, so it's not the kernel...maybe the update.zip process on Froyo is still not completely stable?

Upvote 0
Ok, I've updated the first post to make it easier to read. I've also added update.zip installation instructions, as well as a how-to on enabling the music mod. Also, I've added the link for the update.zip that does not have the nextheme fonts.

Enjoy!

Fab you have been working extremely hard to make sure everyone is taken care of. Thanx again for all you do! ;)

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
Did anyone lose 3g during this process? I did everything on WiFi at home, so not sure when I lost it. I used ROM Manager to wipe and then flash NexFro 1.0.1 then let the market restore my apps. After that I used Astro to install Flash and HTC_IME from the OP. Lastly, I downloaded Pete's new baseband zip and installed it manually in CW. Anyone have any idea where I went wrong?

Upvote 0
I apologize if this has been covered, but I am at work and have not had the time to read much of the last 5 pages or so of this thread.

For people that want the LED flashlight functionality, and mototorch isn't working, I would suggest trying TeslaLED flashlight from the market. It is free and has a couple of decent toggle widgets. It won't send messages in morse code or strobe (AFAIK), but it is working for me on NexFro 1.0.1 and mototorch is not.

Upvote 0
First, I must say that there are a lot of nice ROMs out there to choose from...each has its pros and cons....but...

Fab is by far the most responsive of any Theme/ROM dev out there, whether its on the forum or via a PM....thanks Fab for the fabolous work!

I downloaded the newest NexFro zip with the Android fonts....everything running great and easier for me to read....:D

I'm using the stock kernel and wifi is working fine, even though I don't use it very often....

I did notice that Dolphin Browser HD is force closing every time I try to open....

next step will be to load the new baseband and try out a speedier kernel...will see what effect that has on wifi and other apps...

any comments on the new baseband? good? bad?

Upvote 0
Well I messed my wifi too. I decided to do the forget the connection and reconnect again and now it won't connect to my wifi. :(
I just tried the same thing. My WIFI did work after several reboots. After forgetting the connection, I cannot get it back.

Edit: I restored the nandroid backup I made after getting v1.01 setup the way I wanted. It brough my WIFI back. I am curious if it only happens if you forget an AP.

Upvote 0
I read somewhere in this thread that the kernal included in the update zip is a motorola based 800mhz kernal. Was I dreaming? I ended up flashing the 1ghz P3 kernal but after some thought I wanted to try out that 800mhz kernal especially since it's a motorola kernal.

Do I just reflash the update zip or is there a zip file with that kernal floating around somewhere?

Upvote 0
I did, but I'm concerned it may have broken my 3G...

Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried turning Airplane Mode on, then back off, and if that didn't fix the problem, rebooting? Airplane Mode didn't fix my lack of 3G after the baseband upgrade, but rebooting did and now my signal is phenomenal. Also, make sure you've changed your Vocode to EVRC-B:

1. Dial ##7764726 and press call button
2. enter 000000 and click on "verify"
3. go down to 04 Vocode, select, change the Vocode settings to EVRC-B
4. hit Apply and your phone will reboot.

Reactions: Bunsen Honeydew
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones