• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root They know how the efuse works? Getting closer to more customr roms?

Looks like there's been a little snag. Hasn't the kexec exploit been discussed before for the Milestone? Maybe someone can explain what happened?

Alright, well waiting time is over for me. Truth be told, I've been rocking an LG VX8300 for close to 2 years without a contract. I'm buying the Droid Incredible tomorrow so I can get off the sidelines and finally join in on the Android fun! I was waiting to see if I could get a Droid X with vanilla Android and at the rate things are going I think I got a better chance of seeing Jesus then the Droid X getting liberated from Motorola's evil grip.

Upvote 0
Without trying rubix, I'd guess close to an hour after you download the files and programs for root, download the recovery tools, download and install the Rom. Why are you that against the blur on the dx? I know every android fan wants vanilla android on phones. The only legitimate reason I can see for this is faster updates. what can a vanilla device do that a dx with blur can't? I'm not lashing out lol I've just always wondered. The stock dock can't be that big of a problem. And having more options of skinned UI seems like a plus and is what makes this open source great. I've had a d1, dinc, and dx. My favorite UI was sense.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if birdman got his X from donations? If so I think he is considering getting rid of it. That would be crap if money was donated to get it and for him to get rid of it for another phone.

Man I hope they find something else out.

So what went wrong? Wasn't this exploit the same thing as they were doing with the Milestone and that didn't work right?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if birdman got his X from donations? If so I think he is considering getting rid of it. That would be crap if money was donated to get it and for him to get rid of it for another phone.

Man I hope they find something else out.

So what went wrong? Wasn't this exploit the same thing as they were doing with the Milestone and that didn't work right?

We did donate for him to get the phone. And now he's trying to trade it for another phone. A slap in the face if you ask me.

Upvote 0
Without trying rubix, I'd guess close to an hour after you download the files and programs for root, download the recovery tools, download and install the Rom. Why are you that against the blur on the dx? I know every android fan wants vanilla android on phones. The only legitimate reason I can see for this is faster updates. what can a vanilla device do that a dx with blur can't? I'm not lashing out lol I've just always wondered. The stock dock can't be that big of a problem. And having more options of skinned UI seems like a plus and is what makes this open source great. I've had a d1, dinc, and dx. My favorite UI was sense.

Vanilla has nothing to do with updates. It has everything to do with bloatware and not wanting any of it. Everything runs faster Vanilla.

Upvote 0
We did donate for him to get the phone. And now he's trying to trade it for another phone. A slap in the face if you ask me.

i 100% understand where you are coming from. i donated too.
that said, he has spent countless hours bringing us a long way from where we originally came. and, just because we got him a phone, he isnt our slave. we need to know that there will come a point where he is going to take on new projects, and wont have time for the x anymore. and, when that time comes, i would like my (our) money to be passed on to help with another group of android users, rather than being wasted, collecting dust on a shelf.
that all wasnt as eloquently put as i would like it to be, but it makes sense, yes? i'm certainly not trying to say your feelings are wrong, i'm just more trying to talk myself into being ok with not having as much birdman as we're used to.

Upvote 0
i 100% understand where you are coming from. i donated too.
that said, he has spent countless hours bringing us a long way from where we originally came. and, just because we got him a phone, he isnt our slave. we need to know that there will come a point where he is going to take on new projects, and wont have time for the x anymore. and, when that time comes, i would like my (our) money to be passed on to help with another group of android users, rather than being wasted, collecting dust on a shelf.
that all wasnt as eloquently put as i would like it to be, but it makes sense, yes? i'm certainly not trying to say your feelings are wrong, i'm just more trying to talk myself into being ok with not having as much birdman as we're used to.

While I agree with everything you say, I think it is the fact that it has been like what one month? I don't think anyone expects him to support the phone for ever, but a little over a month? I just think it would suck if he got rid of the of the phone after this short of a time, while our entirely wasted it would still be nice for him to have it for longer.

I am not mad at him and appreciate everything he has done for our community and what he will continue to do. We don't even know if he is going to do it, but it just kind of stings.

One last thing, we all knew about the bootloader before buying this phone so I cannot complain about that, no one should if they knew before going in. But he knew as well, he knew it wasn't going to be easy, and to want to quit after yesterday just sucks.

Upvote 0
While I agree with everything you say, I think it is the fact that it has been like what one month? I don't think anyone expects him to support the phone for ever, but a little over a month? I just think it would suck if he got rid of the of the phone after this short of a time, while our entirely wasted it would still be nice for him to have it for longer.

I am not mad at him and appreciate everything he has done for our community and what he will continue to do. We don't even know if he is going to do it, but it just kind of stings.

Yeah I didn't mean to take it out on him like that but like the poster above me said I feel like it's too soon to be leaving the droid x community even though I do appreciate everything he's done, I just feel like it just happened too fast.

Upvote 0
I can't blame him after the way today went down...although you're right about giving up so soon even knowing he circumstances before hand. I'm pretty sure the Milestone guys even tried to tell us there was nothing we could really do besides this Kexec thing before it all started but everyone had high hopes and they all died today... haha

Upvote 0
Do I take it there's still some reason to hope?

nenoled still has hope for kexec method but it isn't an unlock or anything, more of a 2nd boot, using the firstboot of the kernal to load another custom one or something along those lines.

Its messy hacked on and the milestone people had issues with the radio not working but could give some custom kernals still....I think haha

Upvote 0
nenoled still has hope for kexec method but it isn't an unlock or anything, more of a 2nd boot, using the firstboot of the kernal to load another custom one or something along those lines.

Its messy hacked on and the milestone people had issues with the radio not working but could give some custom kernals still....I think haha

Thanks for the clarification. Man, those guys who came up with efuse are brilliant....darnit! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones