• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root They know how the efuse works? Getting closer to more customr roms?

i think a lot of the blame for this lays on google. i realize they've stated that because android is "open source" they can't prevent oems from skinning and modding it the way they want. but then they will restrict market access to oems who dont do what they want. they change their requirements daily and its not very clear or transparent.

if google said "no locked bootloader or no android" this wouldnt be an issue.

i agree that phones shouldnt be superuser access out of the box, otherwise everyone would screw their phones up. this is also why im not a fan of "1-click" root apps. it lets uninformed and unprepared people screw up their phones. that said, once you've taken the time to learn a few things, you should be able to do whatever the heck you want to your phone.

google should require oems to have the option of "turning of customizable skins or something" like in settings and non-locked bootloaders. or at the very least offer a 2nd version of each android phone like a dev phone. version 1 is for the typical user and is locked down, version 2 you have to buy directly from motorola or htc, et all that is unlocked and slightly more expensive or even full price.

thats it im rambling and getting madder thinking of it.

Upvote 0
Quick question: I'm running leaked 2.3.9 rooted. I'm thinking about reverting to 2.1 to get the OTA 2.2 (which will change my bootloader ver. to the unfriendly one) and root it using the Droid 2 method. I'm not really interested in theming or custom roms (yet), mainly just some root-only apps.

The question is should I wit until the devs come up with something to unlock the bootloader, or just go ahead with it?

Also, the work the devs are currently working on...is that to unlock a particular bootloader version or is it independent of version?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Quick question: I'm running leaked 2.3.9 rooted. I'm thinking about reverting to 2.1 to get the OTA 2.2 (which will change my bootloader ver. to the unfriendly one) and root it using the Droid 2 method. I'm not really interested in theming or custom roms (yet), mainly just some root-only apps.

The question is should I wit until the devs come up with something to unlock the bootloader, or just go ahead with it?

Also, the work the devs are currently working on...is that to unlock a particular bootloader version or is it independent of version?

Thanks!

If it was me I'd wait, just to be on the safe side.

Upvote 0
if google said "no locked bootloader or no android" this wouldnt be an issue.

Google's approach to this is that the market will determine what is good for the market. We will choose. If it is profitable for a company to make a developer-friendly phone, a developer-friendly phone will be made.

If, however, it is profitable for companies to lock down their phones, that will happen as well.

google should require oems to have the option of "turning of customizable skins or something" like in settings

Stop getting mad at Google. Get mad at the manufacturers. I think it would be ridiculous and would hamper the success of the Android OS to put requirements on what an OEM must implement in software to have Android.

at the very least offer a 2nd version of each android phone like a dev phone. version 1 is for the typical user and is locked down, version 2 you have to buy directly from motorola or htc, et all that is unlocked and slightly more expensive or even full price.

It's very expensive to offer additional models in a product line. Surprisingly so. While this is a very nice idea, the reality is that it costs a company money to add another part number, put it into the inventory/supply chain, keep a separate stock of it, etc. Even if it's the same hardware. Plus, they then have to track the model/serial numbers because they couldn't possibly offer support/warranty for such phones, so they need to have a way for their employees to differentiate. If they have different part numbers/serial numbers, what do they do with refurbs? They can't refurb a dev phone to be a normal phone because the dev equipment is treated differently. They can't refurb a normal phone into a dev phone for the same reason.

I don't agree with the locked bootloader. On the other hand, I bought the phone so you and I directly supported the practice of locking the bootloader.

Upvote 0
can you all explain what this means to the not so gifted techys?

Simply put, the efuse software severely limits rooting activities. Rooting gives the user the ability to do stuff that the phone is able to do, but that Motorola's or Verizon's software limits for one reason or another.

We have the ability to root, but this efuse file limits what we can do. It limits the ROMS we can use. We can theme, and stuff, and that's good. We can underclock, but we can't really overclock too consistently, at this point. Overclock means to make the processor process stuff FASTER :D. I hope this was somewhat understandable. :D

Upvote 0
I don't agree with the locked bootloader. On the other hand, I bought the phone so you and I directly supported the practice of locking the bootloader.[/QUOTE]

this is true. if i knew anything about android before i bought the dx i would have thought a lot harder about it though. at the time the dx came out i was running my 3rd bb and by comparison anything seemed like the holy grail

Upvote 0
Google's approach to this is that the market will determine what is good for the market. We will choose. If it is profitable for a company to make a developer-friendly phone, a developer-friendly phone will be made.

If, however, it is profitable for companies to lock down their phones, that will happen as well.

Stop getting mad at Google. Get mad at the manufacturers. I think it would be ridiculous and would hamper the success of the Android OS to put requirements on what an OEM must implement in software to have Android.

It's very expensive to offer additional models in a product line. Surprisingly so. While this is a very nice idea, the reality is that it costs a company money to add another part number, put it into the inventory/supply chain, keep a separate stock of it, etc. Even if it's the same hardware. Plus, they then have to track the model/serial numbers because they couldn't possibly offer support/warranty for such phones, so they need to have a way for their employees to differentiate. If they have different part numbers/serial numbers, what do they do with refurbs? They can't refurb a dev phone to be a normal phone because the dev equipment is treated differently. They can't refurb a normal phone into a dev phone for the same reason.

all valid points as well. i was just in a lousy mood at work for some reason and decided to go on a rant, haha.

Upvote 0
Simply put, the efuse software severely limits rooting activities. Rooting gives the user the ability to do stuff that the phone is able to do, but that Motorola's or Verizon's software limits for one reason or another.

We have the ability to root, but this efuse file limits what we can do. It limits the ROMS we can use. We can theme, and stuff, and that's good. We can underclock, but we can't really overclock too consistently, at this point. Overclock means to make the processor process stuff FASTER :D. I hope this was somewhat understandable. :D

Isn't this the point of unlocking the boot loader? Or is this the reason that the boot loader can not be unlocked? I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused now.:thinking:

Upvote 0
Isn't this the point of unlocking the boot loader? Or is this the reason that the boot loader can not be unlocked? I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused now.:thinking:

The efuse exists in most phones but is not active in most of them. it locks the bootloader so custom kernels cannot be used. if the bootloader is tampered with the efuse breaks and the result is a nice looking paperweight. unlocking the bootloader would allow us the ability to load custom kernels and much more robust custom roms. it will also allow for more custom recovery images.

Reactions: vanilla_android_fan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones