• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To be honest... (my eating vegan)

Steven58

Former Heavyweight Champion of AF-Early Bird Club
Feb 19, 2010
USA
I'm not so sure about this vegan diet I've been on since Monday. I feel somewhat weak-ish... a little strange in the .. uh... lower intestines?

I'll continue for a bit, but may back to my high meat/sushi/dairy/cholesterol diet soonly.

Welp. Good question. I'd eaten veganly-ish in the past and my cholesterol was really good. This physical, my DR. suggested I back down on the fat/cholesterol because the numbers were creeping up.

Skip several months. I took my daughter to Star Trek convention in NJ last week. Michael Dorn (Worf) said he'd eating that for several years and looked great. I said, "darnit, I gotta do that again" So, here I am. It's a bit more of a struggle than I remember, but here I am. I'll probably give it another week or so.

Upvote 0
Why not just stick with a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet? That's quite easy to do... MUCH easier than a vegan diet. You have to let your body adjust to this drastic change in diet. When I went back to eating meat after several years of being a vegetarian and then a vegan... I actually got sick and my stomach was really upset. I could've blamed having meat in my diet but I understood that it was a drastic change in diet.

balanced diet does not = NO meat

It's easy to have a balanced diet with no meat. Trust me... I was a super health nut when I was a vegetarian and ate much healthier than the average person, especially in the whole grains, fiber, and vitamins departments.

Here are some nice links on how to lower cholesterol:

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/11-tips-to-cut-your-cholesterol-fast?page=3

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/guide/cholesterol-lowering-foods

http://www.prevention.com/health/health/health-concerns/10-ways-to-lower-cholesterol/article/33b872e50d803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

Upvote 0
Since I found this Accidentally Vegan | PETA.org I have been thinking about giving it a go again.

Well make sure that you prepare well for the transition into a vegan diet again as it takes a lot of prep. There's so much research and planning that has to take place... from my own past experiences. I personally would really only want to go back to lacto-ovo vegetarian... which I do now anyways like 4-5 times a week without any work.

2 Steven: How well did you prepare to go on a vegan diet? Are you sure that you're taking in B12? That is an easy cause for lack of energy since vitamin B12 is found naturally in animal products but not necessarily in plant products (aside from certain select sources like algae).

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm

Reactions: Bomfy
Upvote 0
I was vegan for a year and I felt amazing. I don't know why I stopped but I'd really like to get on the ball again soon, as I've felt like crap ever since. Give it some time and you might really like it.

Yes you do know why you stopped....I always laugh when people say this....

It's because your natural tendencies for meat got the best of you when you saw a nice TBone or Porterhouse or hell even a damn Hamburger one time. Like someone said, we have Canines for a reason, and it's not to chew on grass like a cow.

Upvote 0
Vegan- week 5.

From my facebook -

Vegan- week 5. I'm overcoming personal prejudice. I had a conversation with a Vegan at the vegan store. I found out they're not complete idiots. (or am i changing?) :p

:)
You are probably becoming more tolerant (or maybe more weak from lack of animal protein) j/k

Glad to hear you stuck it out and are doing better.

Upvote 0
I'm not so sure about this vegan diet I've been on since Monday. I feel somewhat weak-ish... a little strange in the .. uh... lower intestines?

I'll continue for a bit, but may back to my high meat/sushi/dairy/cholesterol diet soonly.

Vegans I know tell me that the diet is the easiest part of being a vegan.

Gotta toss all leather goods, etc.. ad nauseum. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones