• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [TUTORIAL]Simple Gingerbread .602 SBF and Root Process (Updated 9.9.11)

Thanks for the write up, wish I had have read the part about how to get stock recovery to work before I sbf'd I got stuck on the eye in a boot loop, so I booted into recovery and kept trying to access the menu by pressing the search button... lol. Damn do I feel smart.

Everything worked for during root except for one problem. My phone for some reason always reboots into bootloader mode. So when I was running the exploit the phone would be reboot, but then get stuck at the bootloader.

So I had to unplug the phone, power up, quickly plug the cable back in, and then unlock when it fully booted. Had to do this twice.

So hope this helps anyone else (if it happens to you)

I had to do this as well

Upvote 0
Getting this error message when trying to access the download of RSDlite 5.4.4:

This file is currently set to private.

When a file is set to private by its owner only the owner of the file can access it. If you are the owner of the file please log into your account to access this file.

Will this work with RSD Lite 4.8 or 4.9? Or does it have to be 5.4.4?

Upvote 0
Not sure why people are having problems with the phone always booting into bootloader. Sounds like its phone specific. What's weird is that an sbf should bring the phone back to stock. So its not the system, which makes me believe there is a hardware problem that is defaulting it to bootloader.

That may explain some of the weirdness I've had with roms and data issues of late.

I'm so ready for a new phone.

Upvote 0
Hello all.

I have used the cd/linux sbf .602 and the root file from windows 7. All seems to be well except the Market will not download an app without a battery pull. I can download one and then the second one I get the ongoing triangle in the notification bar and the app never downloads. It does this every time. This has happened to me both times I have put GB on my X. It was the same before with the 2 step GB files also. Did the wipes data/cache and followed all instructions. I have used the .340 linux cd numerous times and the market never has this issue. It is only with GB.

Please help. Thank you.

Upvote 0
*** IF YOU BOOT LOOP ***

I tried loading the 602 SBF over CM7, bleah, messy. My phone bootlooped hard, and even though I could get to recovery, couldn't do anything there, the options would not load. Re-SBF'd again, no joy, same problem.

I did SBF with the 340 and was able to enter recovery, wipe/format/etc.
THEN re applied the 602 SBF, all is good in the world now.

Upvote 0
Hello, I was working my way through your guide and everything was going successfully for a while, currently my Droid X is flashed to stock GB.

The problem comes in when trying to root it, as when I plug in the phone and change the setting to "charge only" it changes itself back to "PC mode". Because of this, the root script keeps failing.

While my phone is set to "PC mode", the SD card is not mounted on my computer and there is no way to transfer over files. In addition, the phone is acting very slow, unresponsive, and buggy. I want to install MIUI as soon as possible because this is unusable.

What I'm wondering is:
-Did something go wrong here? What happened?
-Is there a different way to gain root access or to make this method work?
-How do I solve this USB setting issue? I don't understand why it won't let me put the phone in Mass Storage or Charge Only mode without instantly swapping back?

Thanks for your help, and I very much hope to resolve this issue soon.

Upvote 0
I just received a replacement phone, updated to .605. I cant get the one click root to work. when it goes to reboot my phone it just starts back up in the bootloader and i have to restart my phone

That's fine. I just rooted my father-in-law's X, and he was updated to 605 as well. After the first reboot, I freaked out because it went into the bootloader instead of a regular reboot. So, I just pulled out the USB cable and pulled the battery, put the battery back in, turned it back on, then put the USB cable back in when the M logo showed up. The phone booted fine, and then the 1 click program went to step 2 of 3 and rebooted again. It went into the bootloader again, so I did the same pull the USB pull the battery, and then it went to step 3 or 3 and everything is working great.

Reactions: frivolouswhale
Upvote 0
I've rooted this phone before, but when it bootlooped one day, I decided to use this guide so I could get a custom rom.
However, I have had no luck rooting this time. I'm on .602.
I've tried Z4root and Gingerbreak to no avail. I cannot use the method you provided because I run Ubuntu.

benwalburn,

Yeah, z4root and Gingerbreak won't work on the Droid X 2.3 or higher (z4 will work on 2.2 / Froyo).

Here's a 1-click version of psouza4's implementation of the djrbliss / Droid 3 root exploit for Unix / Linux:

[ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX)

Also, do you have the Android SDK installed and/or have you used adb before?

If so, or if you are willing to type in a few commands from the command line (shell), you should easily be able to re-root .602 using the djrbliss / Droid 3 root exploit that Psouza4's 1-click root implements.

I did this manually using adb (although it was via a Windows PC) the other night and it's relatively straightforward.

You'll have do download and install the Android SDK:

1. Grab the Linux .tgz file: Android SDK | Android Developers

2. Install it: Installing the SDK | Android Developers

3. You'll also need the "Android Platform Tools", so be sure to do that part (that's where the adb utility lives)

Here's what the 1-click root methods actually do:

1. First, get a root shell via adb:

Droid3 Has Been Rooted! | ChannelAndroid.com

2. Next, install the root tools (su / Superuser.apk):

Droid3 With Superuser and Su! | ChannelAndroid.com

3. FYI, the above two threads won't install the busybox on your system like the 1-click methods will, so you'll have to install it manually afterwards

Also, here's where all the credit should go for this Droid 3 root exploit (Dan Rosenberg's):

Security Research by Dan Rosenberg

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I finally got it, I used the one-click root found here

LOL, good to hear! :)

I had just seen your original response in my email and was about to dig-in...and I happily saw that you had it resolved.

Yeah, I had to search a bit in my bookmarks/favorites history to dig up the sites that I posted, so I'm not surprised you found a newer and cleaner instruction set (on the same site, LOL).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Will this still work on system version 4.5.605? I lost root access after the update and wasn't aware of the 1 click root once the update happened so I uninstalled my z4 root and deleted the files that went along with them. I do still have my bootable linux CD, z4root1.3.0.apk and droid2bootstrap files. I do believe before this thread was updated there was a part 1 and part 2 file, which I still have on my computer as well. I don't see those links anymore. Do I still use those? And the .602 link won't load. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Will this still work on system version 4.5.605? I lost root access after the update and wasn't aware of the 1 click root once the update happened so I uninstalled my z4 root and deleted the files that went along with them. I do still have my bootable linux CD, z4root1.3.0.apk and droid2bootstrap files. I do believe before this thread was updated there was a part 1 and part 2 file, which I still have on my computer as well. I don't see those links anymore. Do I still use those? And the .602 link won't load. :thinking:

amandamarieec,

You should be able to just use Psouza4's 1-click app to root your .605 phone.

FYI, Z4root is only good / useful for the Droid X on Froyo/2.2.

Just try Psouza4's 1-click app and that should get you root on either .602 or .605 (without having to SBF back to Froyo, etc.).

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones