• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UD 6.0 is now available

Poll closed due to new release for this ROM

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
Agreed, it seems as though the theme has been taken down, so hopefully credit where go where it needs to. Thank you for taking the theme down and addressing the isssue.

I still don't feel like he "addressed the issue", to me it seems that he skated around the issue. His only statement is that RedmanX is not staff. He made no attempt to condemn the actions all he did was remove the threads. I'm not the type to get into pissing contests but this aggravated me! Stewart has put a lot of work into creating this theme. He's constantly updating it and even listens to user's requests. Not many themers out there do that.

Upvote 0
I still don't feel like he "addressed the issue", to me it seems that he skated around the issue. His only statement is that RedmanX is not staff. He made no attempt to condemn the actions all he did was remove the threads. I'm not the type to get into pissing contests but this aggravated me! Stewart has put a lot of work into creating this theme. He's constantly updating it and even listens to user's requests. Not many themers out there do that.

I feel ya...I do. Here's the thing though...

What can be done at this point? Shady activity was going on there and the threads have been removed. No one asked that the threads be removed...just that credit was given to the original creator. The decision was made at UD to remove the threads (at least for now).

Is Watermark'D for UD done? That's up to Stewart but I will tell you that many UD users were very complimentary of his theme and didn't seem to like what was going on either. I kindly pointed out that Watermark'D is available for 6 other ROMs. Users have choices :)

Right is right, fair is fair, and I'll call out anything that's not right or fair (be it by accident or malice) the second I see it. We all should ;)

To me, it's a dead issue and I'm done with it because no more good can come from this aside from what has already happened. I don't feel the need to have a war over it... Just way too many other things to do with my time.

Upvote 0
This stuff happens a lot. But with the bad publicity on the UD roms and Blackdroid lately it just makes them a larger target. I am glad the themes were pulled but trust me they will probably show up somewhere else on another site that blackdroid has no control over. While i am not a UD user it does seem that Blackdroid is trying his best to give credit wherever he can for his new releases.

But for Redmanx to take a unique theme or themes and try to pass it off as his own is just sad.

Upvote 0
I was another one who was enamored with UD. For quite a while, that was the best ROM for my Droid. No other ROM optimized my Droid the way UD did, and this was before I even knew what Quadrant or Linpack was. There weren't numbers to get lost in, it was just sheer performance.

I defended the ROMs for getting more out of my Droid then the other ROMs in which they were being compared to. Hell, I even donated. But eventually, all the drama became too much. I'm not quite the techy guy most of you'se here are, I didn't understand half the arguments :cool:, but it just came to a point where I decided I didn't want to be in the middle of that mess.

I understand there's still a following, and there's many who haven't been around long enough to even know about all the drama. Maybe they shouldn't, I don't know. But I agree with UBR and Stewart, this should get it's shot to be reviewed. RRS wasn't created to favor or discriminate any ROM or dev. This was implemented because we, the community, wanted it as a tool to help us decide what ROM is for us. I'm DLing the ROM now and will post a review as quickly as possible.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
this rom is awesome, i dont care who made it or got credit

to each their own. it is a great rom by all means, but some people understand why credit should go to the proper developers, I know for damn sure if I spent hours,days,weeks,etc... on a rom or a theme and put it out there for others to enjoy and ONLY asked for thanks or credit given to me where it is due, then I would definitely care if others are making money off of my hard work when all they did was change the name to who made it. They get the credit, they get the donations, and they didn't do squat to earn it.

If you created something and distributed for others to enjoy for basically free, wouldn't you get pissed if someone was making money off of your hard work? If not then I call BS!

Upvote 0
Initial Setup:
Very fast setup. About a minute was all it took. First thing I noticed was a diff font. It let's you know right off the bat you're dealing with something different, and believe me, you are. Market synced up within 20 mins and actually restored the vast majority of my apps. More than any ROM has in the past, in fact.

Appearance:
The stock theme is something I've always found very appealing, almost like a simple black. Nothing flashy out of the box, but this is where this ROM is diff. You can customize this on levels that no other ROM provides an option for. You can customize your own live wallpaper, configure a theme, change fonts, boot animations, everthing, in a way that no other ROM offers you so easily. Truly, the level of customization is unmatched here. No ROM, not even Cyanogenmod offers the possibility of configuration quite the way Ultimate Droid does.

Performance:
Not the flashiest numbers I've seen, but very adequate. Stock is quite supple, but what people care about is what happens when they flash their own trusted kernels. I wasn't able to get jdlfg's 1.2GHz kernel stable like I was with other ROMs which cause some discreptencies, but what worked best for me was Jake's 1GHz. I scored as high as 1536 on Quadrant, which is very respectable, but not as impressive as quite a few ROMs. But the ROM, for the most part, was very fluid, and lag never felt like it was an issue. However...

App and System Function:
It felt like this ROM was trying to do too much. It's a very reponsive ROM, but perhaps too responsive. What I mean is, you could long press on the background to install a widget, but it might think you're trying to scroll between homepages. It's actually a problem that occurs with some regularity. While previous ROMs seem to understand what a user is trying to do with their Droid, UD seems to want to make that decision for you. Perhaps that's an unfair assesment, but that's exactly what I take it for being. It comes up a lil too often to be overlooked, and is probably the biggest drawback of this ROM.

Battery life is fair. It feels like it might be running a lil hot when putting it through the ringer, but it never actually overheats. The actual battery life is quite adequate considering what you're asking it to do, and will not dissappoint you.

GPS and WiFi are not an issue. The only real app problem I found was that my NY Times widget received and error when it tried to DL it. However, trying to reinstall it from the Market wasn't an issue. And like I stated earlier, it restored more apps than any other ROM to date.

Overview:
This ROM is something special. It offers a level of customization that CM wouldn't have even thought of. Whether that's the intention of this ROM or whatever is up to debate. You truly have to experience this ROM to understand it. However, it feels like it's trying too hard at times. It can be quick and responsive, but so much so that it can slow you down when you're actually trying to do something. The Droid in and of itsefl seems to be very inuitive as where this ROM seems to not be. I highly recommmend you try this ROM just to see how a Droid can become, like the website says, an addiction. However, it's more idea than it is actual function. Still, this is like taking the best of every single ROM out there and puttin it together. It's somewhat of an abstract prize, but it def has the potential to be a masterpiece.

Rating:
4 out of 5 stars

Upvote 0
That's exactly what's so frustrating, it seemed that I finally found a solid rom that worked well on my phone, and am ashamed of using it just because of the morality of it. It is a great rom and would probably be one of the best roms out if the politics weren't like they were, that's what I don't get.

Then just donate to the people that deserve the money... I think people should know that it is Kanged and they are trying to make money off of other peoples work. After that I see no reason you should not use it. The only problem is that credit is not given and the down right refusal to do so.

Reactions: Psychokitty
Upvote 0
I run BD ROMs because they're KICK***! And I don't give a CRAP where it comes from, either. BlackDroid gives endusers what they want; a fast, responsive and completely customizable ROM.
I used to have some reservations about running BD ROMs. But then I started thinking; You can't really steal open source, like what people have accused him of doing. At the worst, he's a plagiarizer of uncopyrighted material.

Upvote 0
I run BD ROMs because they're KICK***! And I don't give a CRAP where it comes from, either. BlackDroid gives endusers what they want; a fast, responsive and completely customizable ROM.
I used to have some reservations about running BD ROMs. But then I started thinking; You can't really steal open source, like what people have accused him of doing. At the worst, he's a plagiarizer of uncopyrighted material.

You know what PS...I never read a post of yours and wondered..."How's he really feel?" :D

We all have our opinions, but here's the thing...we should not dump on anyone for what ROM they choose to run. ;)

Upvote 0
Go for it, wouldn't really see pointing out plagiarism as being whiny, but since you know it all I guess you could make that assumption. Good luck with your rom.

Yea but some people take it too far. I hold my reservations on the matter but the fact is this. He dose not charge you to run the rom so unless you donate there really is no harm or foul. I know for a fact that BD copies CM and BB roms but if you support BB and CM with donations then you are supporting the right cause. Really if you want to get down to the root of it, thats what its about. Its about people wanted to be thanked for there work. I myself would be the same way.

Upvote 0
He dose not charge you to run the rom so unless you donate there really is no harm or foul.

In some people's eyes though, there is. I have a personal code of ethics I try to live by. I am high on integrity. Some should learn the true definition of that.

I could care less who runs what, what does what, etc.... but at least use common sense. Ask to use, credit when used, etc. Simple stuff.

Reactions: darkside
Upvote 0

[Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer]

The majority of android is licensed under Apache 2.0, which DOES give copyright to the creator. Yes, it is free to use in any way you see fit, but if you redistribute, the ONE condition in this case is that you give proper attribution.

Failure to do so is basically copyright infringement. So in essence, it is stealing open source.

Whether or not you have the moral scruples to care is your own business.

Reactions: darkside
Upvote 0
I see "OfTheDamned" ripped half my post right out with his uber-powers so it looks like I was merely defending Open Source theft when in fact my post was about feeling just fine about using it when considering the alternative of

This forum is so hypocritically biased it's downright disgusting. The deletion of that part of my post is a perfect illustration that it is the intention of the management here at Android Forums to keep punishing BlackDroid no matter what. That is FAR from neutral, folks. It's altering posts in threads to perpetuate anger and hostility directed towards someone.
As for the moral peanut gallery, BlackDroid could discover the cure for cancer and you holier-than-thous would still be too morally proud to take the cure, despite your own numerous indiscretions. Meanwhile, I highly doubt more than 10% of you ever donated one dime to your developer of choice.

Upvote 0
I highly doubt more than 10% of you ever donated one dime to your developer of choice.

You have no way of knowing that. However I donate here, to cyanogen, to Pete, sapphire and more as well as pay for the donate apps if they are something I use. It looks as though BD is doing right now. I don't need his roms as I have many other developer's roms I enjoy. I have tried UD roms on different occasions but found no difference in them from the cyanogens I ran other than the skins and Pete

Upvote 0
I see "OfTheDamned" ripped half my post right out with his uber-powers so it looks like I was merely defending Open Source theft when in fact my post was about feeling just fine about using it when considering the alternative of being a

This forum is so hypocritically biased it's downright disgusting. The deletion of that part of my post is a perfect illustration that it is the intention of the management here at Android Forums to keep punishing BlackDroid no matter what. That is FAR from neutral, folks. It's altering posts in threads to perpetuate anger and hostility directed towards someone.
As for the moral peanut gallery, BlackDroid could discover the cure for cancer and you holier-than-thous would still be too morally proud to take the cure, despite your own numerous indiscretions. Meanwhile, I highly doubt more than 10% of you ever donated one dime to your developer of choice.

Before you start chanting Attica try to make something out of nothing please understand that I have no idea who BlackDroid is. Your post was edited because of the language you used in it and nothing more. There is no conspiracy or secret meaning behind the edit. Your language was offensive and it was reported, so it was edited. If it was the wish of management to blot out someone a filter would be out in place to prevent the name or the whole post would have been deleted. If there is some sort of history with the dev that you are talking about then I don't know anything about it.

If you have an issue with the way I do something in the future, I suggest that you contact me via Pm before you start making ridiculous claims. If you keep your posts clean then there will be no reason to edit them in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones