• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ultimate ascend customization guide.

I thought I had, but for some reason or another TB didn't back everything up, no biggie, I got most of them back from the market, and even grabed a few of the one's Token had suggested. you guys/gals truly rock :D

Yeah, you gotta make sure to do a complete app backup with TB before flashing. And sometimes it has trouble with data when flashing a new build, and you can only reinstall the apps.

Upvote 0
I have my ascend rooted with gingerbreak right now and all bloatware removed. Im new to this and not sure how to overclock or if i am even able to with my phone rooted the way it is. If i try to go to the links above am i going to screw anything up by rooting another way or does anyone know how to help me with gingerbreak

there is no oc kernel for the stock metro 2.2.2 to be overclock, i would suggest cm6 which is 2.2 but oc @ 710 mhz faster and better than metro will all bloatware remove.

Upvote 0
Hello just have a question hoping someone can help me.I was wondering which rom comes with the mobile hotspot option in the wifi settings. Do cm7 have it?

Apparently, while CM7 ROMs have the option, it doesn't work. I did have it working using Juice Defender's option, however JD has a good shot at messing up other things, namely connectivity.

Reactions: mzstaingang
Upvote 0
Hi I'm having a problem flashing cwm 3.0.2.8 over 3.0.0.5. After I did the flash, my recovery is still the 3.0.0.5 version. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need to somehow remove 3.0.0.5 first? I really want to change to the 3.0.2.8 version so I can make a nandroid bu that will include a backup of the /sd ext in it. Thanks.:)

I just flashed 3.0.2.8 over 3.0.0.5 last night.Just flash right over your existing recovery.No problems,you don't have to re-do or re-flash anything else.
You have to do this using your desktop computer.
See TOKENPOKE'S ultimate ASCEND customization guide for details.
It gives instructions for another recovery,but,the steps are the same.
If you have any questions or need more guidance, feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if the icarus1.1 rom works with cricket? Also is this rom using the 2.1 OS??? and anyone know if it is overclocked?

Thanks for any help.. I tried froyo and didnt like what it did to my javascript in the browser so i gotta stay with enclair

Thanks for any and all help :)

icarus 1.1 with work with both carriers and it is based off of 2.1 but clean and tweak with all bloatware remove for a better and faster phone, and no its not overclock, but you will need cwm recovery 2xxxx to install it.

Upvote 0
Hello, can you pls help, so I tried to flash my phone with the new build 07282011, I downloaded it and tried to flash but realized that I didn't download g-apps, so when I rebooted the phone and it turns on it stays at the white and red huawei screen and nothing happens after that, did I mess my phone up? I have the ascend from cricket.

I also just realized that I didn't back anythg up, i got the lasted version of can but didnt do a back up, I think I'm screwed...

So, you didn't backup anything. Hard lesson learned there, but you'll know better next time.
You need to dl gapps to your computer, then add the zip to your sdcard's root with a card reader. Myself, I would power down, pull the sdcard, copy CM7 and gapps zips to the card, stick it back in the phone, boot into recovery, wipe/reformat everything EXCEPT SDCARD (see what data is still there later) and use CWM to install CM7 first, then gapps.
After you've gotten it to boot up and gotten your main gmail account synced, hit the market on your computer, and look at your library. At least there you can see everything you had previously. If you didn't reformat your sdcard, you might even have app folders still usable by re-installed apps.
If you didn't sync your contacts with your gmail account, make sure you do it from now on. You'll never lose them again.

Reactions: ShinySide
Upvote 0
So, you didn't backup anything. Hard lesson learned there, but you'll know better next time.
You need to dl gapps to your computer, then add the zip to your sdcard's root with a card reader. Myself, I would power down, pull the sdcard, copy CM7 and gapps zips to the card, stick it back in the phone, boot into recovery, wipe/reformat everything EXCEPT SDCARD (see what data is still there later) and use CWM to install CM7 first, then gapps.
After you've gotten it to boot up and gotten your main gmail account synced, hit the market on your computer, and look at your library. At least there you can see everything you had previously. If you didn't reformat your sdcard, you might even have app folders still usable by re-installed apps.
If you didn't sync your contacts with your gmail account, make sure you do it from now on. You'll never lose them again.

Thats the exact way I do it even tho I have everything backed up. But on my computer not on my phone. I actually find this method quicker then using TiBu. After I flash and set my Gmail up I go to the Market on my computer and just go down the line reinstalling everything. I even skip downloading all the Google apps at start up and do it all from the Market from my computer.

Upvote 0
BIG CHANGES COMING TO GUIDE SOON!
adding-
Rommanager instructions for CM7 and PlayfulMod
Cricket recovery instructions
Bolder warnings
Updating links
A few goodies I found.

Keep yer eyes peeled!

As always, IF YOU WOULD LIKE 1-ON-1 ASSISTANCE FEEL FREE TO PM ME! oh, and if you Bork your phone let me know.

Upvote 0
Thats the exact way I do it even tho I have everything backed up. But on my computer not on my phone. I actually find this method quicker then using TiBu. After I flash and set my Gmail up I go to the Market on my computer and just go down the line reinstalling everything. I even skip downloading all the Google apps at start up and do it all from the Market from my computer.

And this is where the new market really shines. No more trying to dl 5 apps at a time and completely clogging up your phone to pretty much a dead stop. The new queuing system is SO much better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones