• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updated to Android 8.0.0, Oxygen 5.0.3 - Data no longer works

A good thing to do after a major software update is to boot into Recovery and Wipe the Cache Partition and reboot.
As for no data, check your APN settings to see if they are still correct for your carrier.
Try toggling Airplane mode on/off as well as Mobile data.

Ok so I've tried doing that stuff + Hadron's suggestion too and nothing seems to work. I'm able to send messages via data but the phone does not have 4G. I've gone into the *#*#*4636#*#*# and changed the preferred network settings to LTE Only and I've also tried every other option there and there's still no 4G. Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
So what happens when you set it to 4G only? Do you lose all connection ("emergency calls only"), or just data doesn't work?

And is data only working for messages, or working generally but you aren't getting 4G? If messages only, do you mean MMS (which on many networks uses a separate APN from regular data) or other message apps (Messenger/WhatsApp/Telegram/etc, which will use the regular data connection)?

Sorry for all of the questions, but a clear understanding of what the problem is is important in order to find a solution. I'd understood from the first post that data wasn't working at all, but it seems that isn't the case, so it might help to have a clear picture of what is and isn't working.

Upvote 0
So what happens when you set it to 4G only? Do you lose all connection ("emergency calls only"), or just data doesn't work?

And is data only working for messages, or working generally but you aren't getting 4G? If messages only, do you mean MMS (which on many networks uses a separate APN from regular data) or other message apps (Messenger/WhatsApp/Telegram/etc, which will use the regular data connection)?

Sorry for all of the questions, but a clear understanding of what the problem is is important in order to find a solution. I'd understood from the first post that data wasn't working at all, but it seems that isn't the case, so it might help to have a clear picture of what is and isn't working.

I'm sorry I wasn't very specific with my situation.

I am able to send WhatsApp messages with cellular data and receive msgs, I can listen to Spotify and that's basically all I can do with it. I haven't tried sending pictures or anything like that and right now I can't because I factory reset/have been messing around with previous versions of the OS and so I've got 0 apps currently installed.

I am unable to load web pages and most apps that I've tried (Snapchat, Reddit etc.) So currently I've got a connection and the 4G indicator is there but it's unable to load anything other than messages. When I set it to 4G only, nothing changes. I ran a ping test via the *#*#4636#*#* menu after I'd changed my Network Preferences and it passes on the IPv4 and fails on the IPv6. On all the LTE options in the preferences it has the same result; "IPv4: Pass, IPv6: Fail (2)." I don't know what that means but I'm guessing it means the 4G is not connecting or something.

Upvote 0
Ok, that is odd: there's no difference between the data connection used by Snapchat or Spotify and that used for web browsing, so one working and the other not is weird. The ping test results seem abnormal to me, but shouldn't prevent you using data for web browsing: my cellular connection passes ipv4 and ipv6, but the WiFi on the train I'm using to send this (from a web browser) also fails ipv6 (ipv6 is the new version of the internet protocol, but ipv4 is still universally supported and I'd not expect many websites to rely on the extended features of ipv6). Of course diagnostic messages don't always tell the full story, but just at face value this seems odd.

In that same menu what does it say for "preferred network type?". There are some options there that if misconfigured could cause problems (though the basic problem of some things working and some not is still a puzzle to me).

A final thought: have you checked it's the same in different locations? It would be unlucky if there were a problem with your home cell rather than the phone, but I've known such things happen.

Upvote 0
Or clean the Sim card with a clean pencil eraser and reinstall
Edit: Really, not joking.. I do electronics and a clean pencil eraser can't be beaten when it comes to cleaning contacts. Works great on controllers and remotes too. ;)

My sim works in other phones so it's not the sim card :(

Ok, that is odd: there's no difference between the data connection used by Snapchat or Spotify and that used for web browsing, so one working and the other not is weird. The ping test results seem abnormal to me, but shouldn't prevent you using data for web browsing: my cellular connection passes ipv4 and ipv6, but the WiFi on the train I'm using to send this (from a web browser) also fails ipv6 (ipv6 is the new version of the internet protocol, but ipv4 is still universally supported and I'd not expect many websites to rely on the extended features of ipv6). Of course diagnostic messages don't always tell the full story, but just at face value this seems odd.

In that same menu what does it say for "preferred network type?". There are some options there that if misconfigured could cause problems (though the basic problem of some things working and some not is still a puzzle to me).

A final thought: have you checked it's the same in different locations? It would be unlucky if there were a problem with your home cell rather than the phone, but I've known such things happen.

The preferred network comes up as "LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)" I have checked the phone in different locations and it's the same situation; working messages and inability to load webpages/apps. It really just seems like it's extremely throttled to the point where only things that require 20kb/s network speed can be sent/received... So strange.

Upvote 0
LTE/CDMA? I didn't think OnePlus phones supported CDMA (a technology used by Sprint and Verizon in the USA, and a very small number of networks in a couple of other countries, but not used in most of the world). For the record, my Pixel is currently showing LTE/CDMA/UMTS auto (PRL). If you have that setting, maybe give it a go (of course that would be adding 3G to the list, you already have 4G there, but I just find LTE/CDMA a little surprising).

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
LTE/CDMA? I didn't think OnePlus phones supported CDMA (a technology used by Sprint and Verizon in the USA, and a very small number of networks in a couple of other countries, but not used in most of the world). For the record, my Pixel is currently showing LTE/CDMA/UMTS auto (PRL). If you have that setting, maybe give it a go (of course that would be adding 3G to the list, you already have 4G there, but I just find LTE/CDMA a little surprising).

FYI Oneplus do support CDMA with China Telecom. And I think other Snapdragon phones will show CDMA in their modes as well.

Upvote 0
Oh sorry it's actually LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) and I live in Australia, service provider is Virgin Mobile. I've tried all the preferred network types and have not found any success. I'm just baffled as to why I can send messages but can't do anything else... Makes no sense and it all had to do with updating the OS? Wtf. How is this even an issue in this day and age?

Upvote 0
Have you made any progress?
I have a similar situation. I flashed Lineage 15.1 on my Motorola X4 yesterday and have been racking my brain trying to get 4g LTE to work with my Verizon Sim. Phone reads the Sim and I have two APN's to choose from.
The APN that I'm supposed to use has one bit of information incorrect, MMSC is listed as Not set.
Evidently, Google made some changes recently so that depending on your carrier, you can't edit or add APN'S.
Out of curiosity and if you can, put your Sim in another phone, check to see if you have 4g LTE. Take screenshots of the APN settings, put Sim back in your phone and check the APN settings against those in the working phone screenshots.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones