• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Usb not connecting my phone to windows 10

Can anyone to me how I get my Samsung A70 to open on my pc through USB connection
No message comes to help me figure out why it won't do all of a sudden

Just noticed my wd external drive won't open either now.

Try another USB cable. And make sure it's wired for data transfer, as some USB cables that come with phones are wired for charging only. And if your WD external drive won't open either, maybe there's a problem with the USB port on the PC? Try rebooting the PC.

Another user was reporting the same problem last week on AF, and it turned out his/her USB cable was still plugged into a charger, and NOT the computer. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you tried all the USB ports on the pc. I occasionally have no connection for a mouse, keyboard etc on my old laptop.

Try restarting it. If it cannot see your WD drive as well, it sounds like a pc issue.

Just to clarify, you should see a USB Connection choice on the phone when you plug in to the pc, and choose Files or Photo options (I forget the terminology) rather than charging - though I'm sure you're aware of that by now.

Try also plugging in to another pc (public, work) if that's possible, to check the cables are OK.

Upvote 0
Am using the cable that came with my phone. Also external cable that came with it.

You stated your WD external drive won't open either? That might be a problem with the computer's USB then. Do you have any other USB devices, do they work, also do you have another computer to try with the phone and drive?

Upvote 0
Have 4 hub ports behind PC all in use.
So running a Atoll hub.
Some things work well with it
However 2 kindles and I external do not.
They used to though till this week.
They all charge OK though. But no message comes up giving me the option of viewing gadgets contents on my computer.

Upvote 0
Didn't know some cables are different.
All in know is in the past week my 2 kindles refuse to work through the hub but will charge no problem. I have 3 externals which always opened when I plugged them in the hub
But now 2 out of 3 will still do but he other one doesn't. Don't really want to invest in another hub in case no change

Upvote 0
Didn't know some cables are different.

They can be. Some cables that come with chargers are wired for charging only, because that's what they're intended for.

All in know is in the past week my 2 kindles refuse to work through the hub but will charge no problem. I have 3 externals which always opened when I plugged them in the hub
But now 2 out of 3 will still do but he other one doesn't. Don't really want to invest in another hub in case no change

Try your various devices on the PC's USB ports directly, without the hub. And if they all work, then you'll know there's a problem with the hub.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
My USB has stopped working on my PC however is working perfectly fine on any other PC. Is there something wrong with my PC? How can I fix it?

May well be something wrong with the PC, Could be a software problem, could be a hardware problem, impossible to say without seeing it and/or having more information.

If it's software. Check the Device Manager in Windows, see if that's showing any errors. Maybe the motherboard drivers need re-installing?

If it's hardware. Could be a fault on the motherboard? If you don't know what you're doing with diagnosing computer hardware, consult a competent PC technician.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now bought 2 new Data cables.
1 micro Usb and 1 Usb C.

Plugged them into my Atolla hub.
Neither worked

Plugged them directly into the computer. Both worked fine. But I have only 1 spare Usb Port at the back of the computer.
So still stuck.
Any ideas.
Could it be the hub?
Few weeks ago it worked fine with anything I plugged into it ... For charging or Data Transfter..
I didnt even know there were Data cables as everything just worked!
I could transfer data to my kindle, 2 phones, and 3 tablets. But now I cannot.
It still works with 2 externals though !
Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Now bought 2 new Data cables.
1 micro Usb and 1 Usb C.

Plugged them into my Atolla hub.
Neither worked

Plugged them directly into the computer. Both worked fine. But I have only 1 spare Usb Port at the back of the computer.
So still stuck.
Any ideas.
Could it be the hub?
Few weeks ago it worked fine with anything I plugged into it ... For charging or Data Transfter..
I didnt even know there were Data cables as everything just worked!
I could transfer data to my kindle, 2 phones, and 3 tablets. But now I cannot.
It still works with 2 externals though !
Any ideas?

Yeh, it could be a faulty hub, and given what you've stated, it sounds like you've eliminated other possible problems. Try another USB hub. After all these things can fail occasionally.

Upvote 0
Good news guys. My Atolla Hub works with data now to view files on my phone, 3 tablets, kindle,and memory sticks!
I had bought new wires an tried everything I thought of
But plugged all the usb cables out from the back of my pc and moved the Hub from a USB 3 port to a USB 2 one and bingo it worked!
Dont know why lol
So thanks for all the help. Learn so much on these forums

Upvote 0
May well be something wrong with the PC, Could be a software problem, could be a hardware problem, impossible to say without seeing it and/or having more information.

If it's software. Check the Device Manager in Windows, see if that's showing any errors. Maybe the motherboard drivers need re-installing?

If it's hardware. Could be a fault on the motherboard? If you don't know what you're doing with diagnosing computer hardware, consult a competent PC technician.
Thanks for the reply I will try reformatting and installing the drivers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones