• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] [Guide] Step-by-Step Rooting & Flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if I crash and burn on the way home or if the rapture arrives, or my wife has me stop at the store for milk etc :D

I had to smile when I read this, but I think if you check with the wife, she'll say your priorities are out of order. #3 should be #1. LOL

@php111 - I honestly have not played with the Home Screen dock. I put all my icons on the home screens themselves (especially since they gave us 5 of them). But I do know that different launcher apps do provide some customization on the number of dock icons. Some also let you back up your current launcher configuration so you can restore it later without having to rebuild it, as you would if you flashed a different ROM.

There may be something in the user manual about the dock. You can download the user manual on the Samsung website.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I had to smile when I read this, but I think if you check with the wife, she'll say your priorities are out of order. #3 should be #1. LOL

@php111 - I honestly have not played with the Home Screen dock. I put all my icons on the home screens themselves (especially since they gave us 5 of them). But I do know that different launcher apps do provide some customization on the number of dock icons. Some also let you back up your current launcher configuration so you can restore it later without having to rebuild it, as you would if you flashed a different ROM.

There may be something in the user manual about the dock. You can download the user manual on the Samsung website.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
ooooo, I think you going to be what we call a "flash-a-holic";)

Your funny! How do you have your phone flashed? It looks like you are off from work? I dont work. I receive disabled benefit payments before age 22. I receive money that way. The reason why I can't use anyone's credit card is because I live in a group home, and they won't allow us paying someone to use their credit/debit cards. That's why in my earlier posts I said no no one I know of.

Upvote 0
If you go to my first post on the page, you will see my signature, which has links for what I run. Just click on the "show" button in my post.:)

Just remember your nandroid backups first before flashing.

Also, nandroid backups can take up alot of space. And depending on where you are saving them (internal or external) I would keep at least 1 on your sd card and the others, perhaps 2, on your computer.

Upvote 0
If you go to my first post on the page, you will see my signature, which has links for what I run. Just click on the "show" button in my post.:)

Just remember your nandroid backups first before flashing.

Also, nandroid backups can take up alot of space. And depending on where you are saving them (internal or external) I would keep at least 1 on your sd card and the others, perhaps 2, on your computer.

I see. There is a problem with that. Please see my thread of the SD card. Someone did put my SD card in for me, but when I connect my S3 to my computer I don't see my SD card, and I only see ''phone'' listed.

Upvote 0
Basically, download the kernel like you have done for your rom.
Boot into recovery, make a nandroid, wipe cache and dalvik, flash the kernel, wipe cache and dalvik again, then reboot.:)
If you ever find another kernel, just make sure it will work with not only your device, but the rom you are on. Not all kernels will work with all roms.

Upvote 0
Basically, download the kernel like you have done for your rom.
Boot into recovery, make a nandroid, wipe cache and dalvik, flash the kernel, wipe cache and dalvik again, then reboot.:)
If you ever find another kernel, just make sure it will work with not only your device, but the rom you are on. Not all kernels will work with all roms.

That was the ROM part you gave me. I miss read your post. I'll do this now.

Upvote 0
Could I change how sensitive my phone is to not so sensitive? Its really sensitive.every time I accidentally press something it always does something.

Do you mean on the display (the icons, etc.) or are you meaning the switches on the edge of the S3?

The switches can be made less sensitive if you use a case. Some types, like the Otterbox Commuter I use, actually make the edge buttons rather hard to press. But I like that, because with it I would constantly be pressing the volume button when using one hand to press the power button. it is a really bone-headed design IMO to put a switch opposite the power switch, because you need to provide some sort of resistance against pushing the power switch. I prefer having the power on top, as many smartphones had done.

To reduce display sensitivity, often using a screen protection film can do that, and they can be very affordable. But some people don't like them. They can interfere with the brightness of the display and can also sometimes feel less slippery, making it harder to slide a finger on the glass.

Aside from that, touch screens can take a bit of getting used to. I still catch myself trying to wipe away a dust spec and having undesired consequences. :D

Upvote 0
I see. There is a problem with that. Please see my thread of the SD card. Someone did put my SD card in for me, but when I connect my S3 to my computer I don't see my SD card, and I only see ''phone'' listed.

There's been a lot of discussion on this issue. What you need to do first is download the USB drivers from the Samsung website for your computer. For example if it is Windows 7 you want to get the USB driver that works with Windows 7. Once that is installed, you may need to reboot both the computer and your phone to make it work correctly.

Next, it is very important that you use the USB/charging cable that came with your S3 when you want to connect it to the PC using USB. I don't think anyone has yet figured out why, but for some reason not using that cable can cause instability when trying to access your phone's files over USB. I also recommend you plug the cable directly into a USB port on the front or back of your computer. Don't use a USB hub for that cable connection.

Regarding that cable, the funny thing about how reliable it seems to be - I had this same kind of USB connection problem between my Android tablet and PC, using a generic USB cable. I switched to using this Samsung S3 cable (the tablet is an Acer) and it fixed the problem! So definitely use the Samsung S3 provided cable.

Lastly, sometimes when my tablet does this to me (not showing all the tablet's files on the PC) I have to use the Storage menu on the tablet to Un-mount its SD card. Once that is completed, I re-mount the SD card. Then the files will show up on the PC. It's strange how this issue seems to be a problem for so many people, but the Android forums are full of discussion about it. Ever since the vendors of these newer devices did away with USB Mass Storage, and made us use MTP instead, we've seen a lot of problems connecting. USB Mass Storage just plain worked.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
When I went into the About in Settings, and then Software Update. I get this message. Unfortnately, Settings has stopped.

What has my Settings stopped, and then closes when I press OK?
What rom are you on? I'm thinking "Software Update" may force close like that when you are on custom roms..do any other settings force close?

I guess everyone is busy? I sent two post replies.
Well, it's a Saturday on the weekend so usually things slow down around here as folks are doing other stuff.:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones