• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [MOD] Universal LTE Virgin Mobile APN Fix [WIP] CM/AOSP 4.4.x

Looks like CM just integrated Boost and Virgin Mobile APNs. Doesn't look like they've integrated the changes necessary to make sending/receiving MMS via the stock Messaging app yet, though.
Check the latest CM Nightly - yeap its there:

<apn carrier="Virgin Mobile" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" user="Sprint" password="*" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" type="default,supl,mms,fota,dun" />

Win

I'm the one who integrated the Boost/Credo/FreedomPop/Ting/Virgin Mobile fixes with CM11. I hope it's working right!

Upvote 0
Just bought the Virgin Mobile Galaxy s5. I know kind of mentioned "s5 confirmed workin" but need a double verification....Your telling me that if I download a Sprint ROM "exclude ASOP ROMs for the sake of it" and flash this fix, I should retain %100 functionality with MMS/data...can somebody confirm voicemail too?

No! The APN fix is for d2lte unified builds. This is so if you flash aosp d2lte builds on a virgin mobile phone you will have data. For MMS there is a fix by moonknightus. As far as I know this is only for s3. To be be clear this is for flashing aosp unified Roms on virgin mobile s3 to get data.

Upvote 0
The APN fix is for d2lte unified builds. This is so if you flash aosp d2lte builds on a virgin mobile phone you will have data. For MMS there is a fix by moonknightus. As far as I know this is only for s3. To be be clear this is for flashing aosp unified Roms on virgin mobile s3 to get data.

The apn fix does not work with newer versions of Cyanogenmod that have apn info for various carriers programmed in. CM loses LT but the apn fix causes other problems since it has not been updated to work with the latest mods.

Upvote 0
The apn fix does not work with newer versions of Cyanogenmod that have apn info for various carriers programmed in. CM loses LT but the apn fix causes other problems since it has not been updated to work with the latest mods.

I'm not sure if your referring to even newer ones but I'm running cm11 10/11/2014 with the APN fix with zero issues, I never use GPS tho so I can't say on that

For me personally the cm11 when installed will boot and have working data but for me it was continuously cutting in and out repeatedly so I installed the APN fix and it reduced the cut in and out substantially, only issue I notice was sometimes when using WiFi then shutting it off the data won't come back sometimes I'll have to turn it on and off a few times, sometimes I need to reboot, I believe this is something within the ROM tho as I've used mopeds fix on many many builds without issue

Also this fix is flashed meaning it overwrites the APN info with virgin mobiles, I have no idea of any mods that would require this to be updated, only thing I can think of that would require this fix to be updated would be if virgin mobile themselves changed something in the APN info, I'm no expert on this matter tho so its just a guess from someone who had at least something like 100 versions of cm on their S3

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if your referring to even newer ones but I'm running cm11 10/11/2014 with the APN fix with zero issues, I never use GPS tho so I can't say on that

For me personally the cm11 when installed will boot and have working data but for me it was continuously cutting in and out repeatedly so I installed the APN fix and it reduced the cut in and out substantially, only issue I notice was sometimes when using WiFi then shutting it off the data won't come back sometimes I'll have to turn it on and off a few times, sometimes I need to reboot, I believe this is something within the ROM tho as I've used mopeds fix on many many builds without issue

Also this fix is flashed meaning it overwrites the APN info with virgin mobiles, I have no idea of any mods that would require this to be updated, only thing I can think of that would require this fix to be updated would be if virgin mobile themselves changed something in the APN info, I'm no expert on this matter tho so its just a guess from someone who had at least something like 100 versions of cm on their S3

Unzip the APN fix and look. There is a little more than just the APN. After you see it you may see what would need to be updated. :cool:

Upvote 0

When I flashed the APN fix it did give me LTE coverage again but it killed my GPS, which I use often. I tried going back to the previous snapshot build where everything worked properly with the apn fix but that didn't work either--probably the fact that I had to do a clean install erased something that allowed everything to work right. I ended up installing CarbonRom and now everything works. CM has cured me of any desire to do regular Rom updates--unless there is a new feature I want or a new version of Android I will not be doing any more Rom updates when what I have is working perfectly.

Upvote 0
Unzip the APN fix and look. There is a little more than just the APN. After you see it you may see what would need to be updated. :cool:

Its been awhile lol longer then I'd care to admit since I've opened zips and such lol I used to open them all the time, especially ROM zips so I could remove unwanted things

I even used to have the java environment and apk managers setup so I could alter them if I so wished

Took a look in there, saw areas like you were saying, data folder and the meta folder with google stuff would be my best guess to as what u were speaking on as the APN one is clearly labeled and the fixprop.sh I'd guess (again been Awhile lol) is the script that changes the sprint text to virgin mobile

On my personal device currently and idk why but I get much better signal after running the fix even tho its now included in CM

Upvote 0
So i installed cm11 nightlies on my galaxy s3 and for virgin mobile SPH-L70 and the service changed from vrigin mobile to sprint , i activated the phone before i installed the rom, but i only activated , i didn't add service (35$) it was only activated,now I'm not sure if when i top up its going to work since it deleted the virginl mobile app
Just call 611

Upvote 0
Like a couple of others in this thread, I lost 4G after flashing a recent version of CM11 (> August or so) and MopedRyder's fix didn't bring it back.

After some investigating, I noticed that my APN settings were totally empty (no entries at all) even after flashing the APN fix.

It turned out that the issue was my baseband version was too out of date (I was running LJ7).

Using the information linked in this post, I flashed my phone to a stock ROM with the ND8 baseband and then rooted & restored a backup of my CM11 installation.

Once I did that, I flashed MopedRyder's APN fix and I got 4G back.

FWIW, I'm on Virgin Mobile. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Sorry busy with life. The newest CM11 builds seem to have the correct APN settings in it now. I would flash whatever ROM you want - let it bot first (very important) - then after it settles and you dont have LTE - then reboot recovery and flash the fix.

TL;DR
Fix doesn't seem to take if you flash it at the same time as the ROM. Also with new builds check to see if works first without it.

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0
The new unofficial CM12 builds won't display APNs. You can use the voice dialer to bring up the APN screen but none will show and a message says that the user does not have access.

The new builds are very slow to connect no matter what you do, it seems. Once you do connect it can be fine until you switch to WiFi and back, etc. Unpredictable.

It usually will connect without the fix, but I think only on 3g. The fix does give LTE. d2spr is still quirky though even then.

I need to try a fresh install in a strong LTE area to see how it behaves workout flashing the fix.

I have had some, probably coincidental, luck turning off the phone and pulling the battery for a few seconds before boot.

Also, I want to try punching in the APN info manually but I have to take the time to get a written copy of them.

I am on Boost and I am using MopedRyder's APN Fix R2 with Philz

Reactions: tyronius
Upvote 0
I recently ordered a new phone because my last one was damaged. My old phone was a L170 this one is a L170T. I am 100% sure this is a virgin mobile phone
Maybe someone that's more experienced can help u then cus I don't have this device I heard somebody else here had the same issue maybe APN settings zip for boost will work that wat ppl said I follow this forums all day long ur device is tri band from wat I heard ur device is a boost device VM boost all sprints towers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones