• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [MOD] Universal LTE Virgin Mobile APN Fix [WIP] CM/AOSP 4.4.x

I flashed this on my SPH-L170T and now I get no service at all, anyone know how to fix this?

Yes. My brother got this model and it's different service-wise. You'll only be able to use the stock rom right now fyi

Flash the stock rom. Then get the modem.img from here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxLoK9WxuiQ0T1NZYTJpdTNEajg/edit
In recovery, choose advanced restore and select only the modem. Then select the modem.img. (Make sure you put the file in the clockworkmod recovery folder).

Thanks to wykydtron for this

Upvote 0
Yes. My brother got this model and it's different service-wise. You'll only be able to use the stock rom right now fyi

Flash the stock rom. Then get the modem.img from here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxLoK9WxuiQ0T1NZYTJpdTNEajg/edit
In recovery, choose advanced restore and select only the modem. Then select the modem.img. (Make sure you put the file in the clockworkmod recovery folder).

Thanks to wykydtron for this

Thank you this worked perfectly, will this phone be able to run a ROM anytime soon?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like a couple of others in this thread, I lost 4G after flashing a recent version of CM11 (> August or so) and MopedRyder's fix didn't bring it back.

After some investigating, I noticed that my APN settings were totally empty (no entries at all) even after flashing the APN fix.

It turned out that the issue was my baseband version was too out of date (I was running LJ7).

Using the information linked in this post, I flashed my phone to a stock ROM with the ND8 baseband and then rooted & restored a backup of my CM11 installation.

Once I did that, I flashed MopedRyder's APN fix and I got 4G back.

FWIW, I'm on Virgin Mobile. Hope this helps!

Thank you! This was exactly my issue. If you're missing 4G LTE on your Galaxy S3 CM11 installation, definitely check for an out-of-date baseband.

Turns out I was running the old MD7 baseband, so I took a NAND backup of my CM11 install, installed the stock ROM with the ND8 baseband, then reverted to my CM11 NAND backup and applied the APN fix. Boom! LTE!

Reactions: frankmelody
Upvote 0
Thank you! This was exactly my issue. If you're missing 4G LTE on your Galaxy S3 CM11 installation, definitely check for an out-of-date baseband.

Turns out I was running the old MD7 baseband, so I took a NAND backup of my CM11 install, installed the stock ROM with the ND8 baseband, then reverted to my CM11 NAND backup and applied the APN fix. Boom! LTE!
You should have used the NDC stock firmware, (for virgin mobile) the nd8 one is for sprint. Glad it worked put for you.

Upvote 0
Hello all! I'm a previous s3 owner and proud user of this awesome fix. My s3 was dying more and more so I was forced to upgrade to the s5 on VM. I rooted this phone as well and am trying to get the apns working with CM. The setup for the VM s5 is like the relationship between the print and VM s3's. I wanted to ask if its possible for this same APN fix to work on the s5 with CM12. The support for the s5 is virtualy non existent so I miss this forum sooo much and the great people here. Hopefully someone can help

Upvote 0
Hello all! I'm a previous s3 owner and proud user of this awesome fix. My s3 was dying more and more so I was forced to upgrade to the s5 on VM. I rooted this phone as well and am trying to get the apns working with CM. The setup for the VM s5 is like the relationship between the print and VM s3's. I wanted to ask if its possible for this same APN fix to work on the s5 with CM12. The support for the s5 is virtualy non existent so I miss this forum sooo much and the great people here. Hopefully someone can help
You were forced to get a s5??? You could've bought a new battery... Like I did. Lasts much longer than my old battery. Batteries are replaceable. But anyways I'm not exactly sure apns will be the same. They are different for each phone. Also you might just have to wait like I did when I first got my s3 :(

Upvote 0
You were forced to get a s5??? You could've bought a new battery... Like I did. Lasts much longer than my old battery. Batteries are replaceable. But anyways I'm not exactly sure apns will be the same. They are different for each phone. Also you might just have to wait like I did when I first got my s3 :(
I purchased 2 new batteries and the phone still lost battery quick. Tried different Roms and kernal combinations and even went back to complete stock. Nothing worked. I'd leave the house and within an hour the battery would be half dead without me even touching the phone and with all networks turned off. I figured it was worth the upgrade after a year of solid s3 service.

Upvote 0
FAQs

Question: Does lte work?
Answer: Based on testing yes.

Question: Will this work on both "d2lte" and "d2spr" builds?
Answer: Based on testing yes.

Question: Will this work on Galaxy S5 ROMs?
Answer: Based on initial testing yes.

Question: Will this work on other phones for Virgin Mobile fix?
Answer: Untested. The fix operates via the google universal partition setup. This means its based on partition names in the CM / AOSP ROMs rather than hard partition points.

Question: Will this work on MK5 or other TW based ROMs?
Answer: Yes. I tested in on MOAR v9

Question: Will mms work on XXX mms app?
Answer: I only use Hangouts and I tested mms on that...worked. Textra reported working too

Question: Will "Virgin Mobile" show up as carrier?
Answer: Based on testing - yes.

Question: Can I incorporate into my ROM?
Answer: Of course! Its Open Source. Use / modify as you need. Just give credit.

Question: If I dirty flash should I redo the APN fix?
Answer: YES - I suggest you reflash the APN fix with dirty flashes. Dirty flashes replace the build.prop and that will need re-updated.

One quick question I have 5.0.2 flashed on gs3 will it work on it. If not do you know any APN fix that will? Thanks in advanced

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have flashed several ROM's onto my Samsun SPH-L710 Galaxy S3 and have never had a problem getting service. I flashed LiquidSmooth ROM and it worked great for about 2 months. I have reflashed that ROM and multiple others and have not been able to get Virgin Mobile service.
I have flashed the APN fix. After flashing the ROM and again after I have booted up and found that I have no service. I get the message that the fix has been applied.
Just looking to get service back on this phone.

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This fix does not work on AICP 9.0 (android 5.1.1), sadly. I keep getting the error: "No APN specified on this device". Does anyone know of a fix? Multiple users have reported it not working, so it's not just me. I'm on nj3 modem.
Flash the newest aicp then gapps without APN fix. Its baked in to the ROM now. It will read sprint though. If you want everything to read virgin, flash rom, gapps, APN fix and reboot. Then reflash ROM and gapps dirty (meaning do not wipe anything) and you should have data and reading virgin.

Upvote 0
No data on CM12.1 with APN fix, can you modify this in anyway to make it work for 5.1.1?

P.S.: Love the APN fix BTW, made CM11 usable.
It works if you follow my method.
1. Proper wipe
2. Flash ROM, gapps, and apn fix.
3. Boot once to system
4. Boot back to recovery and dirty flash ROM and gapps again (no wipe no APN fix).
5. Profit

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones