• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [OLD]Sprint to Virgin Mobile LTE/MMS FIX [OLD]

Rate how the mods worked for you

• AOSP Version 1 worked (LTE / 3G / MMS / Internet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AOSP Version 1 partially worked

• AOSP Version 2 partially worked

• TW Version 1 partially worked

• Total voters
thought... though not necessarily the best way to do it, couldnt you remove mms from the apn type of the 4g? if you know it works using the non 4g profile and apparently it switches profiles apon sending and recieving it should theoretically work by kicking 4g off in order to send

Already done my friend. Its in the OP - The custom entries for the APNs (at bottom)

Code:
        <!-- VIRGIN MOBILE CUSTOM APNS -->
        <apn carrier="APN1 Virgin Internet LTE" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsc="" type="default,supl,fota,dun" bearer="14" />
        <apn carrier="APN1 Virgin Internet EHRPD" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsc="" type="default,supl,fota,dun" bearer="13" />
        <apn carrier="APN2 Virgin Mobile MMS" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.ispsn" user="Sprint" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="205.239.233.136" mmsport="81" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" type="mms" />
        <!-- END VIRGIN MOBILE CUSTOM APNS-->

If I remember correctly when folks tried it MMS may have worked the firs time - but when switching back and forward it got stuck. Maybe someone could test it again?

LTE Test again the "Current AOSP/CM/TW MOD (3G & w/MMS both ways & possible LTE (buggy?)" version

Its the version I use for my daily driver. I don't have LTE in the area so it connects for internet via the "APN1 Virgin Internet EHRPD" but switches to the "APN2 Virgin Mobile MMS" when required. I found that at times I lose internet and have to enter/exit airplane mode or just re-select the "APN1 Virgin Internet EHRPD" line. I thought someone in a 4G/LTE could try the same. Its an extra step or two to "reset" the APN but if it worked for LTE...

Upvote 0
Already done my friend. Its in the OP - The custom entries for the APNs (at bottom)

Code:
        <!-- VIRGIN MOBILE CUSTOM APNS -->
        <apn carrier="APN1 Virgin Internet LTE" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsc="" type="default,supl,fota,dun" bearer="14" />
        <apn carrier="APN1 Virgin Internet EHRPD" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.vmu.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsc="" type="default,supl,fota,dun" bearer="13" />
        <apn carrier="APN2 Virgin Mobile MMS" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.ispsn" user="Sprint" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="205.239.233.136" mmsport="81" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" type="mms" />
        <!-- END VIRGIN MOBILE CUSTOM APNS-->

If I remember correctly when folks tried it MMS may have worked the firs time - but when switching back and forward it got stuck. Maybe someone could test it again?

LTE Test again the "Current AOSP/CM/TW MOD (3G & w/MMS both ways & possible LTE (buggy?)" version

Its the version I use for my daily driver. I don't have LTE in the area so it connects for internet via the "APN1 Virgin Internet EHRPD" but switches to the "APN2 Virgin Mobile MMS" when required. I found that at times I lose internet and have to enter/exit airplane mode or just re-select the "APN1 Virgin Internet EHRPD" line. I thought someone in a 4G/LTE could try the same. Its an extra step or two to "reset" the APN but if it worked for LTE...

Is this a new attempt, or is it just a renamed T1 release?

Upvote 0
OK, I tried this on my Virgin Mobile Galaxy S3, running LiquidSmooth ROM (AOSP-based), and MMS still didn't work. In fact, the Telephony Service started randomly force quitting, and I had to revert to my most recent nandroid backup. Any ideas?

I need more info before I could help to be honest.

What or which MOD did you use?

Did you go into Settings > More... > Mobile Networks and try adjusting "network Mode"?

Mot importantly did you capture a logcat? Seeing the error logs is the best way I can tell what happened.

Upvote 0
Installed Liquid-JB-v2.10-OFFICIAL-d2spr

No force closes no errors that I could see. 3G connect right away. I had internet working fine.

MMS does work but causes the known problem on switching between APN settings with some ROMs gets "stuck"

I sent and received the MMS image just fine. In doing so it did reset to the EHRPD (I dont have LTE) APN and reconnect for internet. I tried airplane mode, and resetting "data enabled". Only thing that fixed it was a reboot - at least for me on this ROM.

I use the Vanir ROM. Sometimes it also gets stuck trying to switch back to the EHRPD APN - but I just hit airplane mode on then off and all fixed. Only have to do that if I send or receive MMS, and not every time.

Its different for each ROM in each town unfortunately.

You will notice in my attachments the loss of the "3G" icon after MMS.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-16-08-12-50.png
    Screenshot_2013-10-16-08-12-50.png
    154.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_2013-10-16-08-16-56.png
    Screenshot_2013-10-16-08-16-56.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_2013-10-16-08-23-29.png
    Screenshot_2013-10-16-08-23-29.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: iMaYG
Upvote 0
I need more info before I could help to be honest.

What or which MOD did you use?

Did you go into Settings > More... > Mobile Networks and try adjusting "network Mode"?

Mot importantly did you capture a logcat? Seeing the error logs is the best way I can tell what happened.

I used the CDMA/MMS both ways mod (don't have LTE in my area). My network mode is "CDMA//EvDo auto". You can see a logcat at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2206746/logcat.txt. I don't see anything obvious in it, but then again I don't know what to look for.

Upvote 0
I have LTE coverage, and I installed Paranoid Android 3.99 Beta for Sprint, and the LTE/MMS Send fix worked flawlessly. Then I switched to a different rom and it worked. I switched back to PA 3.99 and it didn't work. I put back the stock rom and LTE was working, but on any other rom, it doesn't work anymore. I don't know what to say/do to show you what's up on my phone because it all gets wiped with every new flash.

Upvote 0
I have LTE coverage, and I installed Paranoid Android 3.99 Beta for Sprint, and the LTE/MMS Send fix worked flawlessly. Then I switched to a different rom and it worked. I switched back to PA 3.99 and it didn't work. I put back the stock rom and LTE was working, but on any other rom, it doesn't work anymore. I don't know what to say/do to show you what's up on my phone because it all gets wiped with every new flash.

you redid the fix after flashing every time?

Upvote 0
Appears like our S3 will never have any native ROM development, and it also looks like no one is actively working on getting full functionality out of the Sprint ROMs... Kinda fed up with Virgin Mobile at this point :( With every phone I'm always wanting to get a stock android experience and the latest and greatest from Google, so I'm really contemplating just buying a nexus 5 32GB and switching to T-Mobile. Their 30$ a month plan with 100 minutes, unlimited text, and 5GB of 4G is appealing. The only real drawback is loosing my SD card slot...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones